Pushing Pandora to it's absolute limit~

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
I know there are obviously games out there on other consoles/systems that could be ported to Pandora (or simply emulated games) that would absolutely push Pandora to it's absolute limit...or even be too much for our little Pandora due to the system requirements being to high.

Anyway, what I want to know is whether or not there are original homebrew games, specifically made for Pandora that push it to the edge, in terms of GPU processing power, complexities and overall performance in-game.

And if not, do you think that it'd be viable for someone to develop such a game, for example an 'original' mini clone version of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind...or should we leave that kind of thing for a Pandora 2 to do, perhaps?

Look, personally I wouldn't mind seeing an original homebrew game made just for Pandora that looks and feels impressive ona technical stand point.

If homebrew devs can make Nintendo DS original homebrew games (5 examples below, not entirely sure of the legitimacy of all 5 games though) that push the DS to its absolute limits, then why not Pandora?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzUPE9jp2Z4

https://www.youtube.com/embed/P3n62Z4nxAQ?feature=oembed
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9G_1EZWVwg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7TyU9RdQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQR8W5t7oE

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure it's possibly but I reckon it's going to requite much better collaboration between people to get something like that... not to say that it's impossible by one person, but unlikely.

You "just" need to have the right set of artists, programmers collaborate and something like this will happen, the problem here is homebrew devs tend to work on what they want to work on at that time, so getting that collaboration going in the first place is not always easy.

Yeah that's what we need a GTA clone except one that has all the guns and cop chases. :D

Really it would be nice to see a great homebrew game come out for this to show off its power.

A generic First Person Shooter, perhaps?

Well Quake 2 and 3 are ported. Sources for each are readily available, I think we just need a team of 3D artists and coders then we can get some cool shooters coming out. Some talented coders could even build upon the code and make some pretty cool first person RPGs etc. Remember not all shooters need to be generic, or even have guns in them. A game I'm doing contract work for at the moment is using some cool mechanics and the shooter aspect comes from excellent lateral thinking.

So...something like Deus Ex : Human Revolution would be sweet?

It would indeed. I was thinking, hoping?, more along the lines of Borderlands on the go. Maybe an Elder Scrolls style RPG. Could also have some 3D platformers as well. The world is the community's oyster. Although there does seem to be a fixation on re-inventing the wheel, in terms of coding, lots of people would rather spend months writing a 3D engine (myself included, although I have learned from it and now I use whatever I can to help me focus writing games rather than tech) than use an already existing, mature, well tested engine. Like the Quake 2 or 3 engines, or Ogre, or help try and optimise Irrlicht. I think, to digress, that as a community we should start using readily available solutions rather than implementing everything from scratch.

A generic First Person Shooter, perhaps?
A game I'm doing contract work for at the moment is using some cool mechanics and the shooter aspect comes from excellent lateral thinking.

Any chance of some Pandora love? :wub:

Sorry, not my game. Not my call. I'm just writing one very specific part of it. It'd be up to the studio I'm working with to port it. Can't really get too specific NDA and all that.

Not even a little love letter in a corner somewhere?

By the way, what's NDA stand for?

Unfortunately not. Maybe after the game is finished I'll talk about it. More on topic though, I do think that we need at least one community project that really flexes the Pandora's muscles. Maybe a FPS, maybe an RPG. Who knows, but something. I'd personally like to see either a really cool 2.5D platformer or a medieval 3rd person RPG/Dungeon Crawler, maybe done in a Wind Waker style.

Unfortunately not. Maybe after the game is finished I'll talk about it. More on topic though, I do think that we need at least one community project that really flexes the Pandora's muscles. Maybe a FPS, maybe an RPG. Who knows, but something. I'd personally like to see either a really cool 2.5D platformer or a medieval 3rd person RPG/Dungeon Crawler, maybe done in a Wind Waker style.
Yeah you think about like me a shooter/adventure type game person. Some of my favorite game series are Zelda, Call of Duty, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto.

So let me get this straight, you want a game about a guy in a green cap, gun toting behind enemy lines in the search for a mythical monster, accompanied by a band of possibly gay side kick characters, rocking out to booming tunes in an arsenal of exotic vehicles for drive by shooting mayhem?

Can we call it Afghanistan : The Hunt for Bin Laden 'BlackWater Edition'

I remember Butterman on the-other-forum was working on shooter with a few people. It looked quite promising, wonder what happened to him and the project.

or better

NDA2007.jpg
One of these days you're going to let us down. But that day has not come yet. :p

Back