Psygnosis is closed

what the.....a sad day indeed :( you know who i blame...thpse 4 cents publishers that came lately that makes all those crappy flash and non flash games,and the general,more "casual"attitude to games .no wonder there are no more adventure games,rts and such...rip to a great company that contributed to the history of videgoames

Psygnosis did not develop Lemmings. Lemmings was a product of DMA design, which became Rockstar. Psygnosis owns the license but did not develop the game.

Is it really sad? I mean, Psygnosis has not made really significant games in the recent past, and most (if not all) of the original employees were long gone. It was just a name more than anything else, after Sony acquired it. (and don't tell me that re-hashing 25 different versions of WipeOut qualifies as "making good games".)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have many good memories from the many games (series) this company has developed/published:

• Adidas Power Soccer
  • Destruction Derby
  • Lemmings
  • The Misadventures of Flink
  • Rollcage
  • WipEout
  • And my experiences with the demo discs from Colony Wars, Drakan, Formula 1, G-Police, Codename: Tenka, and Overboard.

Plus I still need to play "The Adventures of Lomax", "Alundra", and both the "Discworld" games. Another sad day in gaming history.

original.jpg

Destruction Derby was developed by Reflections Interactive (they also did Shadow Of The Beast).

Most of the games they are famous for were really only published by Psygnosis. They did develop some cool games though, like Obliterator (had a cool theme song) and Armour Geddon.

Shame, maybe without their profile of earlier years the brand just wasn't thought a big enough draw anymore.

I still have a big bag of goodies they gave me from the Playstation launch year, good times for them then.

I think they were only psygnosis in name for a very long time.not much of a loss. The original psygnosis is in my opinion the greatest loss the game industry has had to date.Sure the gameplay wasnt always great in their games but the level of artistry in terms of the games, music and box art is unsurpassed to this day.They are my favourite game company.

Sure Psygnosis didn't develop the games, but they did have some great box art for the games they published..

http://www.stanford....pal/?q=node/435

When you compare 80's and 90's box art to todays box art of so-called triple A titles I can only conclude that box art is considered complete nonsense by game developers and publishers. For example the backside of the box art from the European version of Uncharted 3 for the PlayStation 3 is looking like an absolute turd. Without any exaggeration, it has about 80% text, ridiculous tag lines and screenshots that really don't do the game ANY justice. The front cover is also generic as hell. Seeing 80's and 90's box art actually makes me wanting to own the game just for the looks on the shelf.

I'd say Psygnosis died a long time ago, during the Playstation Era already. What they published from then was more or less crap, or not very original stuff. Nothing like they did for the Amiga before, where they had tons of very special titles you saw nowhere else...

Shadow of the Beast is what springs to my mind to when i think of that classic logo

Sure Psygnosis didn't develop the games, but they did have some great box art for the games they published..

http://www.stanford....pal/?q=node/435
When you compare 80's and 90's box art to todays box art of so-called triple A titles I can only conclude that box art is considered complete nonsense by game developers and publishers. For example the backside of the box art from the European version of Uncharted 3 for the PlayStation 3 is looking like an absolute turd. Without any exaggeration, it has about 80% text, ridiculous tag lines and screenshots that really don't do the game ANY justice. The front cover is also generic as hell. Seeing 80's and 90's box art actually makes me wanting to own the game just for the looks on the shelf.
It's all about the shelf space and eco-friendly cases. 12-inch vinyl had much more interesting covers than cd booklets. There was a time when software boxes bigger was better. Then those greenpeace hippies stuck their noses in and made the world a bland place to live.

Don´t forget not too old movies had painted banners and posters.

Digital print is something quite new when it comes to size and images.

Hired Guns was one of the psygnosis tiles that had a box that brought me only joys...some 5 manuals in there, and the game took my extra memory and stuff from my a4000.

Had my 2 sega joypads modified to read all buttons (as was described on the manual) and had a lot of fun playing this game with 3 more friends...only joys.

Blood money was my first a500 game ever...drowled over magazines before acquiring it.

It's all about the shelf space and eco-friendly cases. 12-inch vinyl had much more interesting covers than cd booklets. There was a time when software boxes bigger was better. Then those greenpeace hippies stuck their noses in and made the world a bland place to live.

The picture I have included contains the backside of European version of Uncharted 3. Great game, but the box is absolutely horrendous. Text, text, logos all over the place, some more text, irrelevant screenshot over there (with text over it!) and I can't even make up what is on that other screenshot. Also included is a black and white manual (gotta love those), with six pages of pure text of which everything can be figured out in the first 15 minutes of the game. Ow, and let's include a network pass so the game is very difficult to sell second hand. Whoever designed this, needs to get a serious cockslap.

Back