Beta Psx4Pandora Beta

Hey :)

I haven't heard much from zodttd either lately, but from my side the situation is: besides life being overwhelming, I'm waiting to see how the psx4all/pcsx4all situation turns out to be, ie: I won't lose any sleep working on stuff for psx4all if it turns out pcsx4all will be better all around and the final emulator of choice for everyone. So when I do get some free time, occasionally I work a little on the ES2 GPU plugin, but I won't do anything more than that for the mentioned reasons :)

I'm also waiting for the pcsx4all source to be made public and the situation to stabilize to contribute my EBOOT loading code :)

Tinnus said:
Hey :)

I haven't heard much from zodttd either lately, but from my side the situation is: besides life being overwhelming, I'm waiting to see how the psx4all/pcsx4all situation turns out to be, ie: I won't lose any sleep working on stuff for psx4all if it turns out pcsx4all will be better all around and the final emulator of choice for everyone. So when I do get some free time, occasionally I work a little on the ES2 GPU plugin, but I won't do anything more than that for the mentioned reasons :)

I'm also waiting for the pcsx4all source to be made public and the situation to stabilize to contribute my EBOOT loading code :)
Yeah, Thanks Tinnus. Your work on this project is greatly appreciated.

I'm very much waiting on these same things to happen. I'm loving my Pandora to death right now, but fullspeed PS1 emulation at default(or close to), would be super awesome right now. The same thing goes for N46 emulation as well. Both of these emu's do run somegames at fullspeed, but both need a wider list of playable games to make them a true success!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update Tinnus. I think we're all in the same boat really, waiting to see if anyone's going to pick-up and champion (with regular updates) either of those two PSX emulators.

The PCSX4all source thing is annoying. I thought the source had to be released at the SAME time as the binary? The old dodge "I want to clean it up first" doesn't hold any water and I don't think there is a clause in the GPL stating "If you want to clean up the source, you can drag your ass and delay release indefinetly until you do clean it up".

Maybe we should start thinking about going all GPL-nazi on these guys until they cough up that source? Is it time to go to DEFCON 1?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that making more of a fuss about it now is a bad idea. Let's not cause anyone to get into any more hissy fits.

DaveC said:
Maybe we should start thinking about going all GPL-nazi on these guys until they cough up that source? Is it time to go to DEFCON 1?

You really must take your pills regularly. You won't get better if you don't.

DaveC said:
The PCSX4all source thing is annoying. I thought the source had to be released at the SAME time as the binary? The old dodge "I want to clean it up first" doesn't hold any water and I don't think there is a clause in the GPL stating "If you want to clean up the source, you can drag your ass and delay release indefinetly until you do clean it up".

I really hope withholding the source for PCSX is not deliberate, although it seems like there is a disturbing trend with once open source emulators strangely turning into private closed source projects. I hope one day we can see the source for pocketsnes 7.0, but its unclear who to even contact or if they would even respond. Soon the only open source emulators we will have left will be for atari 2600 and intellivision. Anything else will require paying some sort of fee to get access to someones "private beta" port of a previously open source program.

Exophase said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that making more of a fuss about it now is a bad idea. Let's not cause anyone to get into any more hissy fits.

I'm sure Franxis has been reading all this. Getting his back up (if its not already) is definitely not the right way to go about it.

Its just a little annoying because no one has heard anything.

DaveC said:
Maybe we should start thinking about going all GPL-nazi on these guys until they cough up that source?

Well... You cannot really do anything about it unless you hold copyright on the original source.
So the only ones that can legally do something are the original authors of PCSX and PCSX-r. They can ie. sue the copyright infringer.

You as a user can only... nothing.

smoku said:
Well... You cannot really do anything about it unless you hold copyright on the original source.
So the only ones that can legally do something are the original authors of PCSX and PCSX-r. They can ie. sue the copyright infringer.

You as a user can only... nothing.
Not true at all. Anyone can legally proceed with gpl enforcement.

However, I strongly suggest letting franxis and chui take their time and no need to get all up in their faces because it sure would be a shame if they "lost" the source or something like that.

Bryce Leo said:

That's very interesting... :>
Could you explain on which basis?

You're not a side in the dispute between copyright holder and copyright breacher. So, you have no right to sue anyone. Every court will just reject your case for formal reasons.
Unless your jurisdiction pursues these offences ex officio, but I haven't heard of any doing that for something as "unimportant" as copyright law.

smoku said:
Bryce Leo said:

That's very interesting... :>
Could you explain on which basis?

You're not a side in the dispute between copyright holder and copyright breacher. So, you have no right to sue anyone. Every court will just reject your case for formal reasons.
Unless your jurisdiction pursues these offences ex officio, but I haven't heard of any doing that for something as "unimportant" as copyright law.
you should read up on how the gpl works. Because the software is gpl'ed you are entitled to request the source and thus couldcan bring suit because you are being denied a guarantee in the software licence. It's not quite that simple but that's the jist of it. I'm sending this from my phone so I can't give links or that sort of thing.

Bryce Leo said:
you should read up on how the gpl works. Because the software is gpl'ed you are entitled to request the source and thus couldcan bring suit because you are being denied a guarantee in the software licence. It's not quite that simple but that's the jist of it. I'm sending this from my phone so I can't give links or that sort of thing.

OK. Now, let's assume I am violating GPL by not giving you sources.
I violated an agreement on which I received the code, which is between me and original author. Not between me and you.
So, you cannot sue me. Only the author of the original code could.

BTW: EOT unless you bring some copyright law paragraphs supporting your case. ;-)

smoku said:
Bryce Leo said:

OK. Now, let's assume I am violating GPL by not giving you sources.
I violated an agreement on which I received the code, which is between me and original author. Not between me and you.
So, you cannot sue me. Only the author of the original code could.

BTW: EOT unless you bring some copyright law paragraphs supporting your case. ;-)
Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public?
The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.
But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.
Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

Now obtaining the source is a form/type of Fair Use based upon the license so you would be going through the fair use aspect not the "I'm the author and you used my source and didn't follow the GPL" aspect of it.

IsSuE said:
any updates on the psx front?

Tinnus said:

Nothing have changed since that. I should say long before that.
No release in months, no way to get acces to the source code of this emulator or the other (4 Wiz).
And I cant see how it will change.
Zod have received tons of request to open his source (thing he should do by the law...), and he havent answered any of them. As he sell his emulator on the fashion plateform, I guess he dont want to see a free one poping in his buissiness.
The pcsx4all come from a community that call some member of OPT "bastardo". There is a long history of growing hate between them and here ( I never understund why, but I wasn't here when all this started)
See here for references.
Last info I got was that Francxis was in holiday, and that he will upload the sources as soon as he get back. That was 2 months ago...

So I won't hold my breath on an update sadly...

so could the pcsx4all emulator be ported to the pandora?

I've tried it via ginge and think this one is better... but maybe if it was running natively?

HackModford said:
so could the pcsx4all emulator be ported to the pandora?

I've tried it via ginge and think this one is better... but maybe if it was running natively?
Yes, it could be ported, but Franxis has yet to release the source code. Without that, nothing can be done.

Chris

Back