Beta Psx4Pandora Beta

Gaeryc said:
HackModford said:
Hey everyone... I just jumped onto the PSX bandwagon... I grabbed crash bandicoot 2 (a game I used to play with my cousin) The intro cutscene seemed to be way behind the sound. And for some reason I can't progress because I'm stuck in a cutscene... weird...

Edit: I skipped the cutscene and was able to get into the game.

Edit2: I decided to try Luna (the complete story game thing) Whenver a cutscene plays there's some weird garbage graphics to the right.
Yeah, just noticed today that the first cutscene in crash bandicoot 2 doesn't work, I have always skipped it :lol:
Luckily the rest of the game is ok. Haven't yet completed it, but crash bandicoot worked from start to finish, except that in one spot where there is a long fall down in the start of a level I died few times by jumping down when I'm supposed to do that.
Any one else having the problem in Crash 3 where on the 5th level (1st world) jet ski she just goes underwater, also think there are few bugs in the 3rd level(under water ) level, except that it funs great but I cant complete those 2 levels so im stuck

Last edited by a moderator:
x68000 said:
^ no, just wanted to nudge him in that direction!

A laptop and USB Saturn pad will be the best bet for (semi) portable emulation.

Why nudge him in that direction? I would rather him port Exophase's GPsp than work on a Saturn emulator that we all know will never reach playable speeds. Saturn emulation on the PC just recently got decent.

-God Ginrai

meandu229 said:
Gaeryc said:
HackModford said:
Hey everyone... I just jumped onto the PSX bandwagon... I grabbed crash bandicoot 2 (a game I used to play with my cousin) The intro cutscene seemed to be way behind the sound. And for some reason I can't progress because I'm stuck in a cutscene... weird...

Edit: I skipped the cutscene and was able to get into the game.

Edit2: I decided to try Luna (the complete story game thing) Whenver a cutscene plays there's some weird garbage graphics to the right.
Yeah, just noticed today that the first cutscene in crash bandicoot 2 doesn't work, I have always skipped it :lol:
Luckily the rest of the game is ok. Haven't yet completed it, but crash bandicoot worked from start to finish, except that in one spot where there is a long fall down in the start of a level I died few times by jumping down when I'm supposed to do that.
Any one else having the problem in Crash 3 where on the 5th level (1st world) jet ski she just goes underwater, also think there are few bugs in the 3rd level(under water ) ljevel, except that it funs great but I cant complete those 2 levels so im stuck
The 5th level was fun, it get bobbing up and down until it flew to the sky!

God Ginrai said:
x68000 said:

Why nudge him in that direction? I would rather him port Exophase's GPsp than work on a Saturn emulator that we all know will never reach playable speeds. Saturn emulation on the PC just recently got decent.

-God Ginrai

I agree... GPsp is a higher priority

Who would know, it seems I just got CDDA working... kind of. Have to test another game because I don't know if my implementation is buggy or the music in Ridge Racer is naturaly very weird... :p

HackModford said:
God Ginrai said:
x68000 said:

-God Ginrai

SteveM and I are giving gpsp a look

Tinnus said:
Who would know, it seems I just got CDDA working... kind of. Have to test another game because I don't know if my implementation is buggy or the music in Ridge Racer is naturaly very weird... :p
Hey great news, badly missing the music in Wipeout! Hope you can implement in the next version!

God Ginrai said:
Saturn emulation on the PC just recently got decent.

-God Ginrai

More like five years ago. Don't disagree with the rest of your point though.

God Ginrai said:
x68000 said:

-God Ginrai
It was meant Tongue firmly in cheek.

But an X68000 emulator would certainly be very welcome! ;)

I can't get b4 to work at all. It just hangs on the "loading bios" message whenever I try to start a game(any game!)

Odd thing is that the previous ones worked fine! Guess I'll cross my fingers for b5 :(

[UPDATED] OK, I decided to try a different bios (newer one) and that's solved my problem!

Pickle said:
HackModford said:
God Ginrai said:
x68000 said:

-God Ginrai

Awesome.

darkstorm said:
God Ginrai said:
Saturn emulation on the PC just recently got decent.

-God Ginrai

More like five years ago. Don't disagree with the rest of your point though.

I'm not talking about just speed. The compatibility was shit 5 years ago. Even now, the Compatibility is pretty subpar.

-God Ginrai

Running the latest release, I tested out Twisted Metal 3 ntsc.

Graphics - near perfect, haven't noticed any glitching.
Sound - also near perfect, the pitch seems to wobble a bit during video playback, if that makes sense.
Speed - runs decent at 500 mhz but sluggish when there's alot of polys and animated 2d sprites on the screen. With overclocking and frameskipping it is definitely playable.

Pickle said:
HackModford said:
God Ginrai said:
x68000 said:

-God Ginrai

Can't wait!

Monkey Hero:

This is the first game I have ripped myself rather than hunting down an iso for.

When ripped to cue/bin it gets to the into videos then bombs out. When ripped to iso it crashes on the bios boot (not the white screen, the second screen that has the SONY logo, the Playstation logo and the text PSX 4 - The Sony logo displays in dark blue, and the text displays, but not the playstation logo).

Does anybody have any idea why the cutscenes in Lunar are garbled on the right side of the screen?

HackModford said:
Does anybody have any idea why the cutscenes in Lunar are garbled on the right side of the screen?

Yeah that's a problem with basically all of the emulators you run lunar on, if you try it on epsxe you actually notice that they form a border with the words "Working Designs" repeated in square blocks over and over in that area that appears "garbled" on the pandora. It's a lot like a watermark... that's always what I've assumed it was.

Well, Zod, I have no idea how you did it, but psx4pandora currently runs The Misadventures of Tron Bonne better than any other emulator that I'm aware of. It still doesn't fully work, but out of the box, it works more than it does in anything else, to the best of my knowledge.

If you'd like to compare, here are my original testing results from Beta 1;
The boot-up FMVs are too fast, and get a bit mangled and corrupted. The ground looks strange in places. The game and its music fluctuate in speed a bit. The game will get stuck in a loop as soon as the first line of dialogue is spoken - this can be broken out of by pressing start, and then pressing start repeatedly until the status information in the top left-hand corner of the screen scrolls in. The same must be done every time the game attempts to go into dialogue, or else control will not be handed back to the player. Pausing the game causes it to drop to a black screen and never recover. Reaching the spot where a cutscene ensues prior to the first boss causes the game to drop to a black screen and never recover.

And here are my results from Beta 4;
The boot-up FMVs get a bit mangled and corrupted, and their audio is slightly too slow and is juddery. The game can now get through the first several instances of dialogue correctly, until the point where Teisel Bonne calls Tron Bonne. After this, the dialogues do not trigger at all, and the sections where they would appear need to be skipped by pressing Start. Pausing the game now works correctly, and all of the pause screen's menus also work. Reaching the spot where a cutscene ensues prior to the first boss causes the game to drop to a black screen and never recover. To my knowledge, this is better than any other emulator on any platform currently runs this game.

The results from Beta 1 are very typical of how the game behaves in most emulators. The results from Beta 4 are unique - I've never seen The Misadventures of Tron Bonne behave this well under emulation before.

No emulators out there like this game at all (I do know one person who, with much tweaking of some sound settings, managed to get it to behave itself in ePSXe once, but even then it wasn't 100% perfect - it resulted in audio being cut off a lot; It seems to me that the game's problems are audio-related, given this). I really hope you keep doing whatever you did that got it working this much - maybe one day it will work fully. :lol:

Pleng said:
Monkey Hero:

This is the first game I have ripped myself rather than hunting down an iso for.

When ripped to cue/bin it gets to the into videos then bombs out. When ripped to iso it crashes on the bios boot (not the white screen, the second screen that has the SONY logo, the Playstation logo and the text PSX 4 - The Sony logo displays in dark blue, and the text displays, but not the playstation logo).
same thing here with most games

Here's a couple of games I've test ( US versions ):

Final Fantasy IX - The menus flicker pretty bad in battle as well as the characters at times ( especially in the first scene as Vivi ). I'm not seeing any problems with the FMVs.
Dragon Warror VII - The menus flicker even worse in this game. I could not get past the new game screens.

Both these are with Frame Skip off and it doesn't seem to change if I set it to 1/2.

So, saves are properly implemented now and everything? Because it seems like this is still in early beta, I'm hesitant to start playing some Final Fantasy games for the fear that save files become incompatible with later versions :)

EDIT: Also, does anybody know why some games (like Final Fantasy Tactics) have such odd aspect ratios?

Back