Psx Emulation

Arianon

Still Fresh
Hello all, I'm a proud new owner of a gp2x wiz and I had a quick question regarding the PSX emulation. I'm currently running through some old classics on pico drive and pocket SNES, but I'm REALLY looking forward to checking out the PSX emulation possibilities. I've done some reading and it seems like the playability depends on the game, and I was wondering if anyone has tried Xenogears on it? I intend to try it myself but am currently deployed to Afghanistan and it takes quite a while to acquire the correct data for such things. Has anyone given it a shot and had any luck?

Ari

Arianon said:
Hello all, I'm a proud new owner of a gp2x wiz and I had a quick question regarding the PSX emulation. I'm currently running through some old classics on pico drive and pocket SNES, but I'm REALLY looking forward to checking out the PSX emulation possibilities. I've done some reading and it seems like the playability depends on the game, and I was wondering if anyone has tried Xenogears on it? I intend to try it myself but am currently deployed to Afghanistan and it takes quite a while to acquire the correct data for such things. Has anyone given it a shot and had any luck?

Ari

PSX is hit or miss depending on the game and how well your Wiz will overclock. ZodTT's is the better one. If your wiz can overclock 733 or above then you can play quite a few games at close to full speed with frame skip 1 or 2 and no sound. The sound emulation is horribly distorted on all games Ive played.

Some games that work well
FF 7
Strider
Twisted Metal
Vandle Hearts
Crash Bandicoot
Croc
Resident Evil
These are games I play so its not a definitive list. I play all games at 733mhz with no sound and Frame Skip 1

Not all 2d games work smoothly but most will. Example of a 2d game like Herman Hopper Head is snail slow

As for Xenogears yes it works if you can overclock. I tested it at 733 with frame skip 1 and it appears full speed with out sound or at least it plays smooth with out hiccups.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abe's Oddysee also works great without sound (enable the fix in the menu) and >=733 Mhz.

Thanks much for the responses! I'll definitely be trying it out ASAP, kinda bummed about the sound though. At least in games like Xenogears (which has one of the best soundtracks of all time IMHO) the sound is partially what pulls you into the story. Is there a community around the PSX emulator one can get involved with to try to help out?

I'm still waiting on receiving my Wiz, but truthfully I doubt Xenogears will run too well. It might, but don't get your hopes up. AFAIR it does something weird with the textures that causes the game to run slow after the opening cutscene.

again, I may be wrong.

Back