Psp Video Encoding Q

kotd

Website
Visit site
I'm wanting to buy a memory stick for watching episodes of tv show mainly which are 20minutes or so, but canb't affort the 1gig stick and don't think the 512 is worth it really. How many minutes of good quality video fits on a 256mb stick if anyone know???

when I had the 512mb card before swapping it for the 1gb, I was getting three anime episodes on the 512 at a time at one of the higher video settings and with a little room to spare... you could probably get two episodes at a time on the 256 unless you're willing to go with one of the lowest quality video settings (looks like crappy internet video) you might get 3-4 tops.

Cheers Bast, my pocket PC videos were 70mb each and looked good to me, has the PSP got less efficient compression than divx? Sounds like 256mb should be enough. Another investment....

Sadly yeah the MP4 codec they use isn't the most memory efficient from what I've learned, it could take a bit of tinkering with settings to get a level of quality you like.

yeah the compression definately doesnt' seem as good as other things I've tried but again it really really depends on how high you want the video quality to be. It's really subjective and a matter of oppinion. If you dont mind 15fps, low quality mono sound, and that pixelly look that you get with low quality videos off the internet, you'll be able to fit a lot more on your card. I'm very picky and want my video to look good, and when I had the 512mb, and was using even the middle quality setting (15fps, stereo sound, 300 something kbps video... clean for the most part but blurred and pixelly on fast action scenes) I couldn't fit much more than an hour on the card.

Whoa that is pretty dodgy.

For my pocket PC I'd get good quality sound and 29fps with only slight pixelation on the fast scenes at 70mb for 20min. Which was great for my 1gig compact flash card. I may encode a few eps and see how the look on the computer on each setting. Or I may have to wait till memory sticks fall in price. I'd rather buy a game than use it on a memory stick :)

Someone on another forum told me they got two episodes of 24 on a 512 with space to spare, decent quality. If I can I'll try and find out what their settings are.

EDIT:
My bad it was actually an episode of Lost but he said this...

An episode of Lost. While I'm not sure what codec it uses, it was originally a 350MB file. A conversion using 3GP (368x208/QB4/96kbps) and it became a 200MB file. So it's possible to fit 2 episodes on a 512MB without sacrificing much quality lost. Looks pretty sharp on the PSP, just not as good as the Spidey movie.

yeah, the compression sucks big time! mp4 playback from the mem stick's been stripped down by sony! if we were capable of playing umd quality AVC at 480x272 we'd get superior quality at compression better than Xvid!

but instead we're stuck with a crappy but not too bad vid standard for mem stick playback.
btw, i was able to get a 40 min show at the highest setting(1500k/s 128k/s audio 368x20something 29fps) at 300mb. it looks good on the pc, but not too great on psp.

The eventual quality you use depends greatly on the source material. As with the GP32, anime and the like is a much better candidate for higher compression. Fast moving film is better done at higher bitrates/framerates.

Okay, I took a full 30 minute anime episode and converted it at 15fps, like 700kbps, mono 32bit sound... 30 mins came out to 170MB.

one thing to keep in mind is that fps and kbps are interchangeable...

for example... 15fps at 700kbps, and 30fps at 350kbps will take up the same amount of MB. 30fps would obviously be smoother running, but would be more pixelly... I do most of my anime at 15fps and 700kbps and they look very close to the quality of the video on the two UMD's that came with the value pack.

Lowest I personally would watch ANYTHING at would be 15fps ~300kbps... any lower than that and the pixelation gets pretty bad for me.... at that bit rate I could get the said 30 minute video down to about 100MB.

Back