PSP Big Battery Mod

Worth a shot i ordered the battery already. Biggest problem with handhelds is the battery life. Have a vita also and it's battery life it's bad, miss old gameboy days get a month on 4 double AA's lol

Chip still pops in from time to time.

Indeed I do. Not often, but after 14 years in and out of the GP32X/Pandora/Pyra forums, I can't quite quit this place.

Can someone show a enlarged picture or explain what and where to soder?

The pics from my first post should give you enough of an idea what goes where.

There are only two sets of connections - the two wires going from the battery to the battery board, and the three conductors going from the battery board to the PSP.

The wires from the battery will solder onto the board where the stock battery was attached - whether that was wires or metal ribbon. My board was labeled with positive and negative - hopefully yours is too. The red battery wire will be soldered to the positive, and the black wire to the negative.

For the three conductors from the board to the PSP, they will be soldered exactly as they would make contact when installing a battery normally. Someone else in this thread managed to get the friction connectors to work without any soldering (kudos!), but I soldered for the sake of sturdiness.

Last edited:
Awesome Thanks for the help sounds simple. 10hrs of battery and a micro sd make the psp a nice little portable. Every try battery mod for vita it's battery time is also not the greatest.

Pulled off the metal strips that connected the battery. Soder won't stick to metal pad, whats my option??

Pulled off how? Pulled off the board? If so, you probably took the solder pads with the strips and you're trying to solder to the board substrate (which won't work). Can you post some pics so we can see what you're dealing with?

Got it! Thanks for all the help i roughed up the metal pads with sandpaper and it did the trick. Awesome mod, now I'm trying to find some batteries that will fit in the vita 1000

Okay, so (most) LiPo batteries have a protection board already on them. Should I keep that board on? Or should I remove it and use the PSP protection board as the only board connected between the PSP and the battery?

There's only one board in the PSP which needs to go to the battery terminals.. i'm thinking it might be safer to put a socket in the PSP / On the battery instead of aligning connectors / height as it's quite a dangerous feat.

Gotta be careful with some of the "Chinese" PSP batteries as the charging circuit doesn't work at all in some of them

You have to use the PSP board because there is some sort of IC on it that the PSP needs to see to know it has a battery installed. While you might be able to use the lipo protection board in addition to that (I haven't tried), it seems unnecessary. I would stick with just using the PSP battery PCB to handle protection.

upload_2018-1-23_14-47-17.png

The attached circuit i have the same in my battery , do u have idea how to convert it to Pandora ; so i can fix my bricked PSP :(

How much space are you able to make in there without the battery and UMD drive? I'm wondering if you may be able to squeeze a slightly larger battery there

Back