Psp 1.5 Exploit Released

It sounds like a pain in the ass. I will probably try it for SNES because I don't have any SNES emus for any portables that are any good. I will still use the GP32 for others like MD, GB, NES etc. right now. I am hoping that this exploit will be an opening to flash the PSP FW to a hacked one. This way it will eliminate all of the messing around and swapping. Until then I can't see really using it alot. Still better than nothing though.

This is bloody great news, So what if is a little long winded, At least it`s possible.
I`m just deciding where to get my one gig card from. :D

The trouble is, Some people are never happy.

During the war.... :p

Trooper

This is bloody great news, So what if is a little long winded, At least it`s possible.

Trooper

Here here! finally someone else who's as happy as I am!

Dude trust me it's EASY and takes only a couple minutes to set up the mem sticks... after that it's well worth the 5 seconds it takes to swap cards to have full speed SNES with sound!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trooper
Dude trust me it's EASY and takes only a couple minutes to set up the mem sticks... after that it's well worth the 5 seconds it takes to swap cards to have full speed SNES with sound!

Yeah, but I thought the Snes emu doesnt work with Method 'A' meaning you have to use that pain in an ass long winded method 'B' to get it to work?

Trooper

Here here! finally someone else who's as happy as I am!

How well does SNES work? Is the sound at a decent bitrate? Are transparencies supported? How about compatability? Just curious after you get it to work what the opinion is. If it is decent I may set up a memory card for this.

someone over at the psphacks (or was it psp-hacks) forums already hacked the SNES emu so it works and is distributing the files.

you guys just REALLY want to play this down don't you.

you guys were bitching when homebrew stuff would only work on 1.0's, everyone saying "man I hope they crack 1.5's soon".

Now they crack 1.5's and most of you are just complaining.

the snes emu? put it this way, its already quite a bit faster than the GP32 version... what else do you need to know?? Okay seriously to answer your specific questions, the sound is good, selectable bitrates are 11, 22, and 44 khz. Transparencies work fine. Compatability is VERY good so far... I even got Street Fighter Alpha 2 working!!! It took a long time for any snes emu's to be able to run that. Also Star Fox and Yoshi's Island! So it supports the FX chip. So far the only two games that had problems were Dracula X (big deal) and mario kart (works but for some reason you can only see YOUR racer on the track).

Many games run full speed at FS 2 or 3 with sound. Some are slower though, but still far ahead of the GP snes emu. It's definately playable, I've been playing for the last hour or so.

EDIT: someone at the PSP hacker forums was actually kind enough to take all the current emu's for the PSP, process them using this new loader app, and put them all into one 4.6mb zip pack, for all you lazy guys :p

i wouldn't call it complaining

i was merely stating that this won't really have that big an impact on the scene in general for the long term.

i still mantain that the majority of users in places where the PSP has been released will own just one memory card. most people can't afford to shell out for a second PSP just to run homebrew and a fair few probably also have no desire to.

well the truly cheap could always buy even a 16mb mem stick for this purpose... ARE there 16mb ms duo's?

I think it will have a HUGE impact, if not for it's own merits, than as a stepping stone. I believe like others here that now that there is the ability to run unsigned code on 1.5's, someone will find a way to use this to hack or downgrade the firmware and we won't need the swap trick.

It IS kinda complicated.... I haven't gotta a clue yet... but thanks Bast, I'll have a go at the weekend!

EDIT: someone at the PSP hacker forums was actually kind enough to take all the current emu's for the PSP, process them using this new loader app, and put them all into one 4.6mb zip pack, for all you lazy guys :p
What's that mean? Do you still need to swap?

I was never all that excited about PSP emulation/homebrew, really. I mean, eventually, there'll be some awesome stuff, and then I'll be excited. But still, I know that it's always going to be a battle to keep these emus compatible with the new firmware, and I don't want to sacrifice commercial games for games that I can play on the GP or my computer. This hack was already fixed in the new firmware, so it seems like the the hackers will have to constantly crack and recrack the system. Then, we'll end up with people using older FW and then a million different versions of each emu/app will have to be released. It just seems like it will be very messy.

I suppose someone could make a multi-FW launcher possibly? Then you could have a homebrew-friendly FW and then the latest one. But even still, wouldn't a PSP game that needed to update the FW just wipe out everything, so you would have to put the homebrew-friendly FW back on every time?

It IS kinda complicated.... I haven't gotta a clue yet... but thanks Bast, I'll have a go at the weekend!

hit me up with any questions you have lubi I'll help you out, took me a few mins too but now I got it all figured out, even the 'longwinded' method B is really a snap, just that the tutorial is written in sorta chopped up english but hey I give whoever wrote it credit for trying :lol:

I just did method B on the newest version of SNES emu that just came out like right now that now has auto frameskip. Also .6 version of PCE emu came out that also now supports overclocking.

Like I keep saying... this scene is exploding... every day some big stuff happens!

To be honest sony are only wasting thier time, if they want UMD to become the next portable media, then they must release a writtable version and copier, for Camcorders, music and to actually compete with mp3's MD's and CD's.
Once that is done someone will find a way to hack the copier to copy officail games and then a way to make it undetectable.
Obviously not all off us want this but we would want to use the same coding to play homebrew and put our music collections to a few umd discs...rather then a few £200 memory sticks.

hit me up with any questions you have lubi I'll help you out, took me a few mins too but now I got it all figured out, even the 'longwinded' method B is really a snap, just that the tutorial is written in sorta chopped up english but hey I give whoever wrote it credit for trying :lol:

I just did method B on the newest version of SNES emu that just came out like right now that now has auto frameskip. Also .6 version of PCE emu came out that also now supports overclocking.

Like I keep saying... this scene is exploding... every day some big stuff happens!

Cheers Bast! It seems SO complicated, but I'll have a good read and have a go!

It sounds so sweet!

Trooper
Agreed. Some people don't know when to be happy. ;)

Oh and By the way Amazon has 1 GB memory sticks for the psp at $80. (Not pounds!)
Check it out.

Some games I got running full speed or VERY close on SNES at like FS 2-3 with sound:

Batman Returns
Final Fight
Smash TV
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country
Super Bomberman 5
Super Punch Out
TMNT IV Turtles in Time

Everything on the PCE emu is now full speed if you turn the PSP up to 333 mhz.

By the way for anyone worried about battery life at that speed... remember, the whole while you're playing emu's you are NEVER accessing the UMD which is the biggest battery drain next to the screen itself. I'm betting you can get 6-10 hours of battery life playing strictly emus with the screen brightness and volume full up.

By the way for anyone worried about battery life at that speed... remember, the whole while you're playing emu's you are NEVER accessing the UMD which is the biggest battery drain next to the screen itself. I'm betting you can get 6-10 hours of battery life playing strictly emus with the screen brightness and volume full up.
Hmm... That's a very good point.

....EDIT: someone at the PSP hacker forums was actually kind enough to take all the current emu's for the PSP, process them using this new loader app, and put them all into one 4.6mb zip pack, for all you lazy guys :p

Any links? I would like the all in one zip file for us lazy guys. I would use google and search for it but I am um.....lazy :p

Everything on the PCE emu is now full speed if you turn the PSP up to 333 mhz.

It takes 333 MHz to run PC-Engine :blink: It runs full speed on the GP32 at 133. I guess it is still early, it will get better.

As far as battery life the UMD being off will save power but the CPU at that speed takes exponentially more power. I am curious to know how long the battery lasts at that speed.

Back