PS3 OtherOS

Fzero

Advanced Member
So I turned on the PS3 for first time in a bit, had to run latest update to get new password and access the store

now I seem to have lost my menu for booting OtherOS??

this right? And looks like it hasn't allocated the 10GB I gave it at install back to GameOS

now I cannot even install the bloody inFamous demo and in well pissed

Last edited by a moderator:
"in a bit"? They did that over a year ago :eek:

There was a lot of scandal surrounding it. Sony was sued, some people got some money, shortly after it was removed a solid crack came out allowing anyone to run unsigned programs, Sony then sued some more people... giant mess they made, if you ask me.

I know how you feel, had Yellow Dog running on there nicely and I lost it thanks to Sony :( Never needed an actual computer, spent a good amount on a decent BT keyboard and mouse too.

I feel your pain.

Sony/Lebron had it coming, karmas a bitch, and shell bite you in the ass

:( That sucks man, that's lost HDD space. May there's a hack that can help you.

Yeah man, seems to have killed my YDL install and just lost the allocated 10GB into the abyss.

Seeing as my Linux OS on there is now no more, I will try formatting the PS3 drive tonight, that will hopefully bring back my entire 40GB and I will then be able to install my freebie games... Infamous

will back up my game saves to USB first, I don't care about losing wallpaper and themes, and guess that ny trophies and profile stuff is against my ID, so once reset I should be able to log onto my account and pull all that back down

cheers guys

Yeah, you'll have to format to reclaim that space if you stay on official firmware. This move by Sony made me so angry that I refuse to ever buy another one of their consoles (and I'll probably not purchase any more of their electronics at that).

I've actually used my PS3 less and less since this happened. I do have the unofficial modified firmware on mine, and I am considering selling it. It's one of the 60GB "fat" models that has the software-based backwards compatibility.

My 10GB is still lost in oblivion as well. If you have no more interest in having YDL on your PS3, then formatting the HD will reclaim the space. Should you still want to use Linux, however, there are options (so long as you don't mind the cat and mouse game you'll forever play with the PSN).

It's stuff like this that led me to purchasing Open Source stuff to begin with.

"in a bit"? They did that over a year ago :eek:

There was a lot of scandal surrounding it. Sony was sued, some people got some money, shortly after it was removed a solid crack came out allowing anyone to run unsigned programs, Sony then sued some more people... giant mess they made, if you ask me.

Roughly how long the average update to any software appears to take for the casual user!! ;)

Their fancying of a quick blast of some game or other, is quickly dashed and this can rapidly lead to turning the thing off for such a period of time, imhho.

I purely use it for PS2 and PS1 titles (sourced the old fat 60gb model especially) despite a plethora of modern titles I've yet to catch up on, some still in their shrink wrap, ditto for 360, except its less of a pain in the arse.

Although I hate MS more, for ever entering the console market to begin with and polluting it, with the ("'updates' on unfinished games (obvious bug fixes) / 'new stuff' (intended content ) renamed as DLC)) impatience of shareholders who wouldn't wait for a product to be to finished and almost but not quite, the whole game of, lets make a game for the ever evolving PC platform, so that end users have to re-buy and re-build a rig every 6 months, in order to see the developers visions as it was intended.

Consoles should have a fairly guaranteed life span (that MS again shortened) during which, games get better and better upon them, as developers learn to squeeze more and more from the stable hardware. PC's maybe the forefront of cutting edge but as a result, no 2 games in succession are ever runnable to their intended requirements.

Pandora goes a long way toward providing a versatile platform that developers can prove the merits of this alternative, less capitalistic mental 'mindsight'.

That I welcome and enough of a community to prove its worth, as perhaps, we can turn back the tide and have the manufacturers of big products, simply sit on various hardware developments until they are tweaked to consumer perfection and ready to have an ongoing consumer love affair on each product with, whilst they develop, tweak, expand on and perfect the next level behind the scenes. I can dream cant I?

Rather than hocking the next chip off the presses as the the new unleven bread, promising its promises and moving on, before the flock have realised a new messiah was perhaps in their midst and worthy of their time and affections.

That kind of model could curb all the "Mhz myth envy" and let folk focus on polished software pushing the limits of any given hardware. It could lead to proper communities around products, that last longer than their contract.

It could lead to better things overall.

"But wheres the money/competition/incentive/theft/corruption in that?"

Hence....Pandora

What were we talking about again?

Yeah I'm beginning to feel the same way about them. This is a poor move by them

I think I'll get by without the Linux and just format it, sod it, I want to play my freebie infamous game they owe me

I put YDL on there ages ago mainly for snes emu on the big telly, I use my old xbox for emu at the moment

hopefully it will only be 2 months or so until I have my certain other Linux machine eh :)

YDL was my first big step into permanently using Linux after loading SUSE onto an old laptop, Sony can't seem to make up their mind about the content side of things, it's half closed half open, Unreal III had PC content you could download direct from the websites, and WipEout Pure had website based DLC, so did Metal Gear Online.

They got away with removing OtherOS by saying they never advertised it as a feature....

Yeah man, seems to have killed my YDL install and just lost the allocated 10GB into the abyss.

Seeing as my Linux OS on there is now no more, I will try formatting the PS3 drive tonight, that will hopefully bring back my entire 40GB and I will then be able to install my freebie games... Infamous

will back up my game saves to USB first, I don't care about losing wallpaper and themes, and guess that ny trophies and profile stuff is against my ID, so once reset I should be able to log onto my account and pull all that back down

cheers guys
WAIIT!

Can you access the HDD and delete things directly?

Is it possible to remove the HDD and use recovery/imaging software, to get the info from the lost partition safely stored to a PC and then format it? That way, if future hacks allowing the OtherOS partition to be useable again occur, at least its pre-setup.

Is it possible to remove the HDD and use recovery/imaging software, to get the info from the lost partition safely stored to a PC and then format it? That way, if future hacks allowing the OtherOS partition to be useable again occur, at least its pre-setup.

Hi

Of coarse you can, you just need the right software to do it ;)

linux is your friend

Back