Prototype case and Mainboard Assembly (small video)

what is holding the CPU board in place?? it looks like its just the two connectors, no screws - can it loosen up over time? esp. since the mainboard is experiencing the forces on the nubs at about the same location (flexing it a bit)..a loose or unreliable electrical connection between main and cpu board  could cause very nasty crashes I imagine...

what is holding the CPU board in place?? it looks like its just the two connectors, no screws - can it loosen up over time? esp. since the mainboard is experiencing the forces on the nubs at about the same location (flexing it a bit)..a loose or unreliable electrical connection between main and cpu board  could cause very nasty crashes I imagine...
The connectors are made for reliable contacts, they've been used for usecases like that for years.

However, the case is also directly behind the board, so it wouldn't even have space to unplug once the case is assembled.

Reactions: szr
Will the next case be a moldet one??

Or will this be also a print, but not that fragile like this one, so you can also bring it to Convenitions etc..

This Speaker seems to be a good solution, because of one of they Fall of, you can esealy put a new on in the Pyra, whitout Soldering..

Thangs for the Video, and the describtion,

For me, the "Lange Nacht der Computerspiele" in Leibzig is too far from my Place, Sadly..

I hope i get enought Mony until the Preordering..

ED - Awesome video.  Was that your living room?  I like the couch!

What's the time estimate for final prototype?

Has anyone worked out what to do with the space on the front edge, to the right of the SD slots yet?

Obviously you can't have much because of the antenna just behind it - but something to break up the cheap-looking split line around the case would be good. Maybe a bit ot textured plastic? or a sticker?

Well, that could be a good area to write your name or something.  ;)

-Glyph Reader

ED - Awesome video.  Was that your living room?  I like the couch!

What's the time estimate for final prototype?
Nope, that's in our office :D

No idea when the prototype will be done.

Well, with REAL plastics, it'll take a while, as the moulds take 2 months :)

Looks like the pin that holds the shoulderbuttons can break. Can that be made a bit bigger along with the hole in the shoulders without any issues? I like the logo with the middle part broken off.
No, it can't. Unless you open the unit and use some excessive force to do that, though, because otherwise there will be no force applied (since you can't push directly on the pin).
This construction may be enough to hold the triggers in place but it doesn't seem very trustworthy. AND it makes the case mold more complicated I'm sure. Everything that is in the case parts must be molded into the injection tools, a seperate pin could make at least that area simple. "Keep it simple, stupid.", right? ;)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

What do you mean by 'a separate pin'?  Kingu is suggesting a fatter pin moulded from the same material as far as I read him.

I take exception to one thing ED says.  Sure you can't press directly on the pin, but if you apply pressure to the shoulder button it will bottom out against the switch/PCB then act as a lever on the pin as more force is applied.

That said, the pin looks pretty short, and the more exposed bottom button is attached right at the bottom of the pin, so you'd need to apply an awful lot of pressure to snap it there.  I don't see an issue there myself, but I'm sure it should be pretty easy to test once a case made out of the proper materials exists.

Well, with REAL plastics, it'll take a while, as the moulds take 2 months :)
NOOOOooOoOooooOooOOoOo !!!!

Anyway good video :)
:lol: , you beat me to it. What fun would it be around here without the standard "2 Months", it's the best and longest running joke we've got.

This is looking wicked cool, 2 months can't come soon enough :p ED, you and the team are doing a great job. Of course I'm more interested in the Pyra than the Pandora, but I'm not letting the hype get to me yet. We're still a long way off, and I don't need the agitation again that I had waiting on the Pandy all those agonizing months(pins and needles), hoping for the slightest piece of information and release dates.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a good idea to have a vibration motor on the main board.  Just wondering if that will cause issues in the long run

Has anyone worked out what to do with the space on the front edge, to the right of the SD slots yet?

Obviously you can't have much because of the antenna just behind it - but something to break up the cheap-looking split line around the case would be good. Maybe a bit ot textured plastic? or a sticker?
Well, that could be a good area to write your name or something.  ;)

-Glyph Reader
There appears to be an indentation formed around the SD slots on the left all the way to the emptier area on the right seen here at 10:38. I suppose he could add a faux grill there, but it looks fine even without any extra embellishment. It's lovely.

Is it a good idea to have a vibration motor on the main board.  Just wondering if that will cause issues in the long run
I don't think it shakes enough either way to be an issue. As long as everything is soldered properly, it should be fine.

Chris

I don't know, its right on the edge next to the case seam also.  Seems like it could cause a number of issues (cracks, board issues etc).  But yes, it does look like a small motor though

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by 'a separate pin'?  Kingu is suggesting a fatter pin moulded from the same material as far as I read him.

I take exception to one thing ED says.  Sure you can't press directly on the pin, but if you apply pressure to the shoulder button it will bottom out against the switch/PCB then act as a lever on the pin as more force is applied.
Can't happen as well, as the button is stopped by the case before it can damage the pushbutton or pin.

Would be pretty swank to have a nameplate there.

Would be pretty swank to have a nameplate there.
Basically what I said.  :D

Hmm.  Why not have EvilDragon's signature there?  Would be nice for the first something-amount of orders. 

-Glyph Reader

Reactions: szr
Looks great! I can't wait to have one in my backpack ;)
Ditnt you have Carrypants??
My Pandora everytimes belongs in my big sidepockets..

Two Months was aktually expectet..

So whe know everything fit, just to work on the Lid Part and thangs to the Dummycpuboard whe know the Bottonpart also fits,

Wile the Molds are made, Nikolaus works on the CPU Board, and mybe the Keyboard is allready ready then..

Lets to this, Two Months , whats my Ordernumber and where is Craigix Fur Hat ?????

Back