Processor Speed Jumps After 5 Min ?

ninjak

Still Fresh
Website
theorifice.net
On boot-up, my gp2x seems to be stuck in a slower mode for about five minutes before full speed is reached. It's a sudden jump, not a smooth transition. I haven't measured the time yet to see if it's consistent, but it's somewhere on the five minute mark. I can tell right away, playing drmd is stuck at about 12-20 fps until the jump where I hit 50-60 fps all the time. It never seems to revert until the unit is shut off again. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Some component may not be starting properly and the sudden jump may be due to a process timing out.

I'm going to do some further experimenting to measure this time.

It also happens with Nes2x, Methane and UQM so for that I've noticed. Wasn't noticable on Scumm.

Using Firmware 1.1.0

Also, sometimes the sound doesn't seem to initialize properly at boot-up and when this happens, it seems the gp2x doesn't pick up full speed until it's brought back to the menu. Maybe it has something to do with modules not loading properly and Linux continously polling to try to remedy that.

As for the LCDTweak tool, it reports 199 MHz at startup. But the problem persists. I'm pretty sure it's related to the inconsistency in the boot time as well.

I have noticed this too.

I turn my 2X on, and all the menu's take a bit longer than normal to load, then i play DrMD, and every 30 seconds or so the game im playing would freeze for a millisecond, then continue smoothly, but after about 5 minutes it stops and everything is running ok, its almost like the 2X is "warming up"

have you checked the reported clockspeed using the overclock tool?

my guess would be that this is something to do with linux, I don't know how much caching it does (it certainly does some - I've had it report the contents of an ejected sd card) but I wonder if this is a performance drop due to the operating system reorganising its memory... Windows is always slow just after it's been loaded for reasons like this.

I have, however noticed a 'stutter' (a sudden pause) on my unit about 30 secs -1 min into a movie or game... again, I'd always attributed it to the OS.

That's really weird..... mine has never done anything like that, and I'm on 1.1.0.... Plus my sound always initializes.

Sometime my unit freezes on boot-up, though....

sometimes my sound doesnt work

sometimes it freezes on boot

and yeah, mine still shows contents of SD card sometimes even when its removed.

also, i thought that with 1.1.0 SD cards where now hot-swappable? but when i take mine out and put it back in again with different contents it still shows the old contents

Back