Fake Speed Step Applet Idea

chris_c

Its occurs to me that with a xfce applet you could monitor cpu load and keep stepping up the cpu speed to a predetermined ceiling, and conversely as the cpu load reduces you could step the speed down (after a predetermined time interval) until it reaches a minimum value.

Just a sudden idea that occurred to me so I thought I'd note it down here as I don't yet have hardware to implement it with...

Generally that sort of thing is done in the kernel, not i na UI thread. CPU scaling is something on the to-do list, just need more bodies to jump in :) Theres only a couple of people doing firmware development at all, and its much more 'sublt'e when you start doing kernel development. Things like this will start to come in as more people get devices, I think .. the few peopel doing fw development now (with a number of great contributors too!) are all burnt out wrecks right now I think :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Generally that sort of thing is done in the kernel, not i na UI thread. CPU scaling is something on the to-do list, just need more bodies to jump in :) Theres only a couple of people doing firmware development at all, and its much more 'sublt'e when you start doing kernel development. Things like this will start to come in as more people get devices, I think .. the few peopel doing fw development now (with a number of great contributors too!) are all burnt out wrecks right now I think :)

jeff

The very reason I did *NOT* suggest doing this in the kernel is because this is not a simple hands off daemon type task, sometimes the user will want FULL CHAFF as fast as possible and sometimes they may want a more conservative but not full power miser mode, and in any case its possible to change the cpu freq in user land anyhow isn't it - ie from a simple script even!

all said and done the gnome scaling monitor sets powerstep setting from a ui thread and its not such a stretch to having an applet DBUS-ing to a deamon or even monitoring load itself...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back