Problem With Saving 2

evanligus

Still Fresh
Hi!

I have a gp2x F-100 (Firmware version 2.0.0). I can play duke nukem 3D and save, I can play with scummv and save BUT I can't save my game progress with console emulators. I tried with some snes, GBA emulators and it didn't work.
Do you think this is because of my firmware version? Or is there an other problem?
It's nice to play oldies with the gp2x, expecially when you can save your current game progress <_<

++

evanligus said:
I can play duke nukem 3D and save, I can play with scummv and save BUT I can't save my game progress with console emulators. I tried with some snes, GBA emulators and it didn't work.
I doubt it's a firmware problem (I haven't heard of anything that would produce the effect you describe). However, it sounds quite likely that you have a write-protected, faulty or full SD card. Some games same their settings in NVRAM built into the GP2X and thus would work even if the SD card doesn't.

Can you write to the SD card from your PC or using a USB cable, and how much free space do you have? How big is the card? (Cards over 2Gb tend to use a newer method of accessing them which isn't supported in the default firmware, and may just show up as 2Gb only or not at all). Also, some cheap SD cards say they are a certain size but are in fact "fakes" that are hacked to report being, say, 2Gb but actually only have 1Gb of useable space. You can verify if this is the case by simply filling the card up and checking the files stick around and work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i can write from my computer or by using the usb cable. I have a 2 Gb Sandisk SD card , and 1,4 Gb freespace remains .
It's very odd, because I can save with scummv...
Do you have an idea?

Have you tried a different SD card to verify, or try reformatting your current one? :huh:

Manjuu said:
Have you tried a different SD card to verify, or try reformatting your current one? :huh:

No I didn't try that. I will try and tell you tomorrow! Thank you so much all of you, you can not imagine how frustrating it is to have problems like this with my gp2x :(

++

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't checked it, but it's possible that not all emulators support savegames. So maybe it's not a fault at all, but just a "feature". The readme or docs on the emulator should help you further on this. Some emulators require a special action to save the game.

You need to use the emulators own savestates, not the in-game saves from the GBA and SNES games, which don't work most of the time.

You should list which specific emulators you're having a problem with, or maybe just a few if it's a lot of them.

Some of the emulators force you to do a "save SRAM" from the menu in order to be able to use the in-game saves.

But just try doing save states on gpfce or picodrive, you shouldn't have a problem with that.

Back