Problem With Saving

Grz-

Still Fresh
Hi,

i have a strange issue, i can't save in emulators/games (and also updating firmware) with my 4gb kingston on the GP2X but saving files from the PC to the GP2X through the USB cable work perfectly, all worked before i install the 4.1.1 firmware, i tried to check file permissions but it seem all is ok, also the switch on the SD card is in r/w. (and the little lever in the GP2X is not broken)

Any way to get save on the GP2X working please? :(

If you upgraded straight from 4.0.2 to 4.1.1, then try to downgrade to 4.0.2 (use the version from gp2x.com since the version from the archive breaks the touchscreen on some models), then install 4.1.0 and then 4.1.1

When I upgraded from 4.0.2 to 4.1.1 without installing 4.1.0 (which should be possible according to the messages on gp2x.com and this board), I had similar issues.

Also, upgrading from 4.0.0 to 4.1.1 without installing 4.0.2 first should not be done, according to gp2x.com

Squirrel61 said:
If you upgraded straight from 4.0.2 to 4.1.1, then try to downgrade to 4.0.2 (use the version from gp2x.com since the version from the archive breaks the touchscreen on some models), then install 4.1.0 and then 4.1.1

When I upgraded from 4.0.2 to 4.1.1 without installing 4.1.0 (which should be possible according to the messages on gp2x.com and this board), I had similar issues.

Also, upgrading from 4.0.0 to 4.1.1 without installing 4.0.2 first should not be done, according to gp2x.com
I tried to downgrade but it seem i cant... i got 'updating firmware' but after its finished i'm still on 4.1.1. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a F-200, right? If so, what was the factory default firmware? Was it FW 4.0.0 or 4.0.2? This is important to know as it would tell us which F-200 you have, the "new" or "old" F-200.

If you have the "new" F-200, you must NOT downgrade to FW 4.0.0, for it is incompatible; this will brick your system.

(Any firmware below version 4 are also incompatible.)

Anyway, did you properly follow the instructions on how to flash the firmware?

Instructions:
1. Download the firmware file
2. Decompress file and place files in the root of the SD card.
3. Turn on GP2X while holding down Select+Home
4. Firmware upgrades itself.¡Ø Make sure you have enough battery or use the AC adapter while upgrading the firmware. If the power goes out while upgrading, it may damage the system.

Manjuu said:
This is a F-200, right? If so, what was the factory default firmware? Was it FW 4.0.0 or 4.0.2? This is important to know as it would tell us which F-200 you have, the "new" or "old" F-200.

If you have the "new" F-200, you must NOT downgrade to FW 4.0.0, for it is incompatible; this will brick your system.

(Any firmware below version 4 are also incompatible.)

Anyway, did you properly follow the instructions on how to flash the firmware?

Instructions:
1. Download the firmware file
2. Decompress file and place files in the root of the SD card.
3. Turn on GP2X while holding down Select+Home
4. Firmware upgrades itself.¡Ø Make sure you have enough battery or use the AC adapter while upgrading the firmware. If the power goes out while upgrading, it may damage the system.
F-200 v1 so the default is 4.0.0 and i followed instructions to install it but it seem my gp2x just dont want saving anything on the SD... (but its very strange because from the USB cable it work..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried a different SD card, to either check that emulators/games can save or flash the firmware?

I just tried with my digital camera and it say "card error"... ill try to format it because its very strange it continue to work under windows if the card is dead and because i changed it recently (1 month ago, already dead?) :p

That doesn't explain why it's working in your gp2x when in USB mode and not when in gp2x mode. A dead card is a dead card. But from what I've read, it's generally not a good idea to format your card in the gp2x. It seems better to format it using a card reader and your PC. Maybe you could use your camera to format the card, if you don't have a card reader.

Btw. it's not uncommon to have a new card that breaks. Usually flash cards break in the first weeks of use. If they survive, they will probably never break. Or better: Factory problems usually show up in the first weeks of use. If they survive, they most probably don't have factory problems.

For your firmware problem, you could try Orkie's nandblanker. I haven't tried it yet (I will later), but it wipes your whole firmware so you have a fresh start at a new one.

Since I had problems with some programs which seemed firmware related, I've tried it myself:
- nandblanked my F200
- reinstalled 4.0.0
Nandblanker seems to work, but it clearly it hasn't been designed for the F200, because after the "upgrading firmware" screen, it goes black and never displays the "done" screen. I decided to let it run for a few minutes and then powerdown and install 4.0.0. My firmware related problems have gone now.

Is there any script or something to load the "nandblanker" correctly or i can just load it via terminal?

I used Orkie's nandblanker_0.1 and I just followed the directions of the "readme":
- Format an SD card. I used a 256Mb because I don't trust SDHC cards at that level (only the bootloader is active at that time).
- Copy everything from the on_sd folder to the root of the card, using a PC and cardreader (although using the gp2x for this should be fine too)
- Reboot the gp2x while holding start+home depressed until the "updating firmware" screen appears.
- After a few seconds, the screen goes black. Although I guess the job's finished then, I let it run for about 15 minutes, just to be sure it's really finished. On a F100, you get a "done" screen, but it didn't show up on my F200.
- Remove all files from the card or reformat it (you definitely need a cardreader now because the gp2x is non-functional in this stage.
- Copy a full firmware to the card (4.0.0 or 4.0.2)
- Boot the gp2x while keeping the home+start buttons depressed, until the "updating firmware" screen reappears.
- Let it finish. When done, the gp2x automatically shows its main menu.

Now test the firmware again, it should be totally fresh without remnants of a possibly corrupted old firmware. The process worked for me, fixing Vice2x (Gnostic's x64 versions #2-#9 froze my gp2x, possibly due to a firmware failure).

Back