Privacy

Stellanatus

Lets say I wanted to buy a secondary pyra or pandora for downloading stuff but didn't want to leave any sort of paper trail.

> Use a prepaid card with a nearby address and get a secondary Pyra/Pandora in the mail.
> Install "Tails OS" and only have the battery in my device when away from home.
> Not use any accounts associated with my with my normal life and just use a throw-away protonmail for log-ins.
> Jump between public wifi spots aware of the camera locations and transfer all my data into usb sticks.

What are the chances of getting in trouble then? Would buying a pyra/pandora already give me a paper trail? Should I instead just use a small android or notebook off craigslist?

Disclaimer: Unrelated to piracy. I would be downloading funny pictures of John Cena. I must protect myself from the Cenation cult that policies the internet.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting in trouble for what? Is there a particular reason you don't want a "paper trail"? Buying a Pyra isn't illegal. Alternatively, you could fly to Germany, meet ED in person to buy a Pyra with cash.

You will also leave a very tiny trail when you connect to public wifi networks (some ask for logins, which will identify each of their access points you've connected to), they might also log the MAC address of you Pyra

Anyway when you say things like this...

Also I'm a Google freak that has every aspect of google integrated in my life xD

... you've already lost

There was a nice paper about identifying people by their typing habits. It was surprisingly accurate. Then there's the assortment of websites you visit that can be used to profile you, unless you use something like tor to mask your requests. Say, if you pop here to check your favorite threads you could be profiled as you from your previous browsing habits registered when you have been logged in.

If you want to stay anonymous you have to actually not behave like yourself.

Getting in trouble for what? Is there a particular reason you don't want a "paper trail"? Buying a Pyra isn't illegal. Alternatively, you could fly to Germany, meet ED in person to buy a Pyra with cash.

You will also leave a very tiny trail when you connect to public wifi networks (some ask for logins, which will identify each of their access points you've connected to), they might also log the MAC address of you Pyra

Anyway when you say things like this...

Also I'm a Google freak that has every aspect of google integrated in my life xD

... you've already lost
Buying the Pyra isnt ilegal. But I heard from somewhere that if they can get inside your computer than can find a record of the maker and where it was sold and to who. I'm not sure though.

And as for the Google comment... Who would be dumb enough to use their Google acc on the same device your trying so hard to keep 100% anonymity with no strings attached?

There was a nice paper about identifying people by their typing habits. It was surprisingly accurate. Then there's the assortment of websites you visit that can be used to profile you, unless you use something like tor to mask your requests. Say, if you pop here to check your favorite threads you could be profiled as you from your previous browsing habits registered when you have been logged in.

If you want to stay anonymous you have to actually not behave like yourself.

Yeah I am sort of paranoid by my own search habits making me already a red flag. I downloaded games and programs before so it wouldn't surprise me. Infact this is why I would want to have to use random wifi spots on devices I have full denial of that don't have anything on them to link me to them; and literally have to act like a spy being watched by those trying to figure out a pattern of some kind.

Buying the Pyra isnt ilegal. But I heard from somewhere that if they can get inside your computer than can find a record of the maker and where it was sold and to who. I'm not sure though.
I honestly really doubt this... On the remote chance that your very portable device could be compromised, it would take a hacker that was familiar enough with the unique hardware of the Pyra, at best they could tell it has an OMAP5 processor and running debian. I doubt there would be any kind of manufacturing or order number that would be stored on the device that could be tracked to an individual. 

The OMAP 5 processor at least the one on the devboard doesn't even have a CPU serial number:

Code:
trashy@trashypyra:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo                                          
processor       : 0                                                             
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)                                   
BogoMIPS        : 12.28                                                         
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idi 
CPU implementer : 0x41                                                          
CPU architecture: 7                                                             
CPU variant     : 0x2                                                           
CPU part        : 0xc0f                                                         
CPU revision    : 2                                                             

processor       : 1                                                             
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)                                   
BogoMIPS        : 12.28                                                         
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idi 
CPU implementer : 0x41                                                          
CPU architecture: 7                                                             
CPU variant     : 0x2                                                           
CPU part        : 0xc0f                                                         
CPU revision    : 2                                                             

Hardware        : Generic OMAP5 (Flattened Device Tree)                         
Revision        : 0000                                                          
Serial          : 0000000000000000

And as for the Google comment... Who would be dumb enough to use their Google acc on the same device your trying so hard to keep 100% anonymity with no strings attached?

Well, hopefully nobody, but that wasn't the point I was making. Your desire for complete privacy on your Pyra seems to be the antithesis of your love of plugging everything into the googlemotron.

I honestly really doubt this... On the remote chance that your very portable device could be compromised, it would take a hacker that was familiar enough with the unique hardware of the Pyra, at best they could tell it has an OMAP5 processor and running debian. I doubt there would be any kind of manufacturing or order number that would be stored on the device that could be tracked to an individual.

To be fair, you don't need to know all of the Pyra hardware to make something that will impose some sort of threat. As it's a (somewhat?) standard ARM Debian build, that'd be enough to then troll through all the network devices and monitor them for connections, log IP addresses to a table and when internet is available, upload them (along with a file list from $HOME, /media and /mnt) and set up some bot that can then upload any other file when internet presence is available.

Edit: You could argue if I omitted the GUI from If... Then Do... you could create some interesting conditional scripts that mimicked some of this behaviour, after all, I'm hoping to be able to do some things like

• If Network Machine (MailServer) Is Available Then Run (Mail Client)
  • If Wifi SSID is (HomeWiFi) Then Run (rsync)

Well, hopefully nobody, but that wasn't the point I was making. Your desire for complete privacy on your Pyra seems to be the antithesis of your love of plugging everything into the googlemotron.

To be fair, you don't need to know all of the Pyra hardware to make something that will impose some sort of threat. As it's a (somewhat?) standard ARM Debian build, that'd be enough to then troll through all the network devices and monitor them for connections, log IP addresses to a table and when internet is available, upload them (along with a file list from $HOME, /media and /mnt) and set up some bot that can then upload any other file when internet presence is available.

Edit: You could argue if I omitted the GUI from If... Then Do... you could create some interesting conditional scripts that mimicked some of this behaviour, after all, I'm hoping to be able to do some things like

• If Network Machine (MailServer) Is Available Then Run (Mail Client)
  • If Wifi SSID is (HomeWiFi) Then Run (rsync)
Google just makes everything sooooo streamlined. I'm so integrated into Google I have to create a second identity using a different location/account/aliases. Should I drop Google for it? The answer is no. All I am doing is downloading something for a bit or communicating for a bit then going back to my other life where I spend most of my time.

In my mind I imagine some anonymous homeless man handing me a usb stick with pirated stuff already on it. Then I go home and watch a show then play some games.

The OMAP 5 processor at least the one on the devboard doesn't even have a CPU serial number:

Hidden Content
Thats reassuring. You always give great answers. 

Hmm unlike the Pandora, on the PyraOS you are prompted on the first boot wizard if you want to enable a firewall... that would limit some unhealthy network traffic.

Hidden Content

Ignoring my points about how Pyra's "unique hardware" is not particularly an issue when running a standard Debian base - where you can traverse all your hardware nodes through /sys.

Also, should anyone actually care enough to try and get on to your device, the unique nature hardware of the Pyra will actually go against you and help identify you a lot easier (unless several other Pyra users also consume the same Wifi spots etc.).

I was thinking about getting the Internet tariff from ED, but because of privacy Id like to not be associated by real name to the SIM Card. But it is not legal for ED to give it to anyone, and a official statement from him to accept "any name" might be problematic for him so... I might not buy the tariff. It is mostly because the Internetprovider do know my name, I would have less problems with ED knowing my name, but since Provider seem to have enough money to force a bad net neutrality guideline trough the european parlament I decided to not trust them. Needless to say they also like to keep their data preservation longer than needed. But thats another story.

So I will pay for a prepaid internet SIM card which costs some more but atleast is anonym because the kiosk turk didn't care.

A paid VPN will cut most of the connection from my device to the things I do in the internet so I could still use some Google products. If I would.

If they find a Pyra in your pocket it is easier to just look for your ID in the same pocket than asking german peolice to raid ED. As long ED atleast keeps his data secure and encrypted you dont have to fear much from this.

As a moderator I can see IP addresses and email accounts for each user... but hey feel safe.

Both anonymised: check

As a moderator I can see IP addresses and email accounts for each user... but hey feel safe

At least only moderators and ED can see them... right? I am not afraid of my account being stolen but... Anyway, we are safe :D  

I wouldn't be concerned unless you were some sort of paedophile.

You certainly have the wrong nickname for that.

The way to avoid data tracking depends on the reason why you want to avoid it. 

If you share music you are totally save by either hiding your IP over a proxy or using an anonymous ISP. Because that is already enough to be "too much work to track" for the rights holder. 

I wouldn't be concerned unless you were some sort of paedophile.

You certainly have the wrong nickname for that.

The way to avoid data tracking depends on the reason why you want to avoid it. 

If you share music you are totally save by either hiding your IP over a proxy or using an anonymous ISP. Because that is already enough to be "too much work to track" for the rights holder. 
Your ISP sending you a letter then doing nothing about it is really not worth the effort suggested in the OP

If the government has something to hide from me I should have the same right. Since we have no such right at all we have to do it ourselfes. I want to hide as much as possible because I dont get why I shouldn't besides it is work to do so.

Reactions: rSl

Hidden Content

Ignoring my points about how Pyra's "unique hardware" is not particularly an issue when running a standard Debian base - where you can traverse all your hardware nodes through /sys.

Also, should anyone actually care enough to try and get on to your device, the unique nature hardware of the Pyra will actually go against you and help identify you a lot easier (unless several other Pyra users also consume the same Wifi spots etc.).
Well atleast I could easily conceal it and call it a nintendo ds

As a moderator I can see IP addresses and email accounts for each user... but hey feel safe.

Some things you do expect to be on center stage. Like right now idc if the NSA sees this. I haven't admitted to anything or done anything wrong. Worst comes to happen I get a warning letter or in the extreme they visit me and find no proof of any wrong doings. Both which is extremely unlikely.

Back