Preparing for the countdown...

ClockworkCoder

Chaotic Neutral
Recently I've been starting to do a couple of things that I feel may help get to a running start when I finally get a Pyra (of course, in 2 months).

1. Learn Emacs keyboard shortcuts

I'm a Vim user for quite a while now, but feel that the shoulder buttons and layout of the keyboard may make the Pyra better suited to Emacs shortcuts (also useful for the console). I might even try using vanilla Emacs (rather than Doom/Space Emacs which I attempted before)

2. Brushing up on c++

I've dabbled with c++ off and on for a long time, but have some projects I'd like to get going more seriously and feel that Pyra would allow me to do a lot more coding while commuting, etc. Been reading up and practicing in the meantime.

3. Getting a good flexible workflow

Been using some suckless tools, especially dmenu and DWM, and think with some custom shortcuts they could work really efficiently with the Pyra.

Other than that, I'll probably start looking at what emulators are available, although probably closer to the time when mass production has started.

What other kinds of things is anyone doing?

On another note, I've also been distracting myself with some Japanese import DS games on my 3DS, and also wondering how well they might play on a Pyra...

What, no st? I've not used DWM yet, huge fan of icewm though. I never really thought about what to do with my pyra in that regard. And the emacs idea is interesting, but I've always hated chorded shortcuts. Pretty sure I'll be sticking with vim.

What am I doing though? Wondering how I'm going to manage to justify paying what I owe beyond the voucher ><. A bit low on funds ATM, but the good news is that should speed things up a bit! (me being broke that is).

I've been hoping that the pyra will really jumpstart my coding interests. Guess I'm just waiting for it to show up and then wing it. Might be fun to use it to connect to some BBS. Perhaps I should make a list of those again...

EDIT:
Icewm? Why did I say Icewm? Icewm is cool, but I meant i3-gapps ><

Last edited:
Vim has some chorded shortcuts too; the one I'm most familiar with is ctrl-v to enter visual block selection mode, and I've just discovered ctrl-k which is a compose key, and apparently ctrl-r is redo. But I probably use ctrl more often in the shell, with ctrl-e to get to the end of the line (and ctrl-a to get back), plus ctrl-w to delete back to the last space, and ctrl-u to delete back to the start of the line.

Maybe I'll use i3 with my Pyra too, I use i3 on my last server build, and that's a heavy user of chorded modifier keys (I use the win key on my server, but it seems the default is alt, which'll be fine on pyra). I also use tmux on that server when I'm sshing in, and ctrl+b is the default keyguard to do stuff in tmux.

I've downloaded a few games from the offical repo already, that's about the only thing I've done specifically to fit the pyra.

Meh prototypes haven't even gone out yet and there hasn't been any news on theNew case company. 8 more months minimum

What, no st?

ST is a given :) I also use surf, albeit for reference sites that I tend to keep open more like 'apps' than websites.

Actually suckless is what I've been using to push myself into coding more in c++, although my coding philosophy is a little different to theirs.
[doublepost=1550730855,1550730659][/doublepost]
Meh prototypes haven't even gone out yet and there hasn't been any news on theNew case company. 8 more months minimum

I started my "preparation" at least a year ago, and still isn't exactly anywhere at the point of 'buying accessories' or anything like that yet.

I dont have any plans for Preeparing, i have a 400 gb Micro SD Card i want to fill up whit my Musik (should be about 40 gb), but other than that:
All my Roms are on a 128gb SD XC Card on the Pandora, so i only need to put this card in my Pyra..
Lots of the Experience from the Pandora should also work whit the Pyra, so yes, i dotnt care much yet..

Maybe i will be the first, who will ask a alot of thinks, but now i just wait for the device to arrive

@matzesu I think Pandora owners like yourself have a little bit of an advantage as you'll have a better idea what you may or may not want (or be able) to do with your Pyra.

The anticipation for the Pyra boosted my desire to create games.

I learned a little bit SDL2 and made with "Slay The Dragons" a first small 2D game, that will hopefully run on the Pyra.

At some point I also want to learn some 3D art/programming. But my progress on that matter is very slow.

THIS!
THIS IS THE REALITY!
All caps is yelling/screeching. Might want to tone it down a bit...

I'm trying to understand your reality. Your name is an IBM/Lenovo product line. Your Avatar has HP's logo and an HP product line. Two of the biggest names in mass market computing.

You are frequenting a website for an obscure pocket handheld from a tiny German company. Your posts lean toward, if not outright, insulting the project and people here to support it. Above you insult 'all of us' by equating our communications to a group you consider 'lesser' - whom you insult further.

Do these things, the co-opting of major brands, the insults, the all caps, the insults, do they make you feel better about yourself somehow?

I'm trying to understand your reality. Your name is an IBM/Lenovo product line. Your Avatar has HP's logo and an HP product line. Two of the biggest names in mass market computing
Just added the Dell`s Latitude logo in my signature for you.
You are frequenting a website for an obscure pocket handheld from a tiny German company. Your posts lean toward, if not outright, insulting the project and people here to support it. Above you insult 'all of us' by equating our communications to a group you consider 'lesser' - whom you insult further.
You are offended because you know that I'm right and I'm just pointing out very obvious things that very few people on this boards are pointing out. It will be different if there were regular status updates with some god damn progress in them or even a simple roadmap/action plan for 2019 will do the trick,
instead there are once in a several months updates with zero progress in them and "forever unanswered" questions. News for you, I also support this project, and have my preorder number and stuff, and the lack of criticism only makes the things worse.
So stay bluepilled in you dream land and keep telling your self that everything is fine.

Last edited:
You are offended because you know that I'm right and I'm just pointing out very obvious things that very few people on this boards are pointing out.
If you really just want to point things out (wether or not they are really that obvious or true is another matter) why don't you do that without insulting?
Your started with "autistic screeching" which insults both autists and people who want to talk about pyra preparations. I am aware that screeching could be considered a prejudice about autism. But I have no Idea how the topic could be considered "typical autistic™" nor did I see any screeching except of your post. So it looks like just a random insult without even a connection to the topic.
Now, you are continuing, your blue-pill-analogy is not much better.

Last edited:
I started my "preparation" at least a year ago, and still isn't exactly anywhere at the point of 'buying accessories' or anything like that yet.
That's a point. I did pick up some HDMI adaptors to go from type D to full size. I hope that's the right size, but I've not got anything yet to actually test them out with, so they're in my kind-of-useful electronics box at present.

Just added the Dell`s Latitude logo in my signature for you.

If I understand correctly, those are all internationally trademarked/protected brands and logos. I'm having difficulties understanding your objectives with splattering hijacked corporate trademarks in every message. Is it to 'stick it to the man' by co-opting their symbols? Or could it be a way to feel empowered by including the totems of powerful others? Are you claiming to speak on behalf of Lenovo, HP and now Dell? Is it an homage to their products and their impact to your daily life? Or something else?

If I understand correctly, those are all internationally trademarked/protected brands and logos. I'm having difficulties understanding your objectives with splattering hijacked corporate trademarks in every message. Is it to 'stick it to the man' by co-opting their symbols? Or could it be a way to feel empowered by including the totems of powerful others? Are you claiming to speak on behalf of Lenovo, HP and now Dell? Is it an homage to their products and their impact to your daily life? Or something else?

Eh he isn't using them commercially nor disparaging them. He could also make the argument (clearly) that the depicted product doesn't exist so there is no trademark infringement.

Who cares though?

Eh he isn't using them commercially nor disparaging them. He could also make the argument (clearly) that the depicted product doesn't exist so there is no trademark infringement.

Who cares though?

Apparently he does - which is what I would like to understand. If those companies were to post advertising here and splash their logos all over the site there would be an uproar. I am not upset that he is doing it - I just find it to be very odd behavior and would like to understand the why he is doing it. What motivates someone to name their online self after a commercial product or brand?

Maybe an example would help. I am using a Pyra keymat photo that ED posted up as my avatar. But damnit, the boards avatar load engine auto-clipped the sides and left a result with eyebrows, eyes, nose... it anthropomorphized so neatly. And I was heavily involved in the chaos that was the keyboard threads. And the boards changed software - resulting in my old icon image of my dog looking at the camera with his tongue hanging out going away - then someone bugged me to get a forum image to make the voice of posts easier to track - and the keymat kind of made sense in a twisted way. The 'why' of my forum avatar.

So - with @ThinkPad and his use of commercial branding, I'm curious as to, 'why'? He's not the only one. We also have a @SONY and probably others that aren't coming to mind. SONY I thought I 'kind of got' because of a mental connection between SONY - Playstation - Gaming - Pyra. I'm lost on the ThinkPad connection to the Pandora/Pyra community though.

Back