Powerslide V0.5 Released

Website
Visit site
Jim McLeod released a first version of a Top-Down-Racer with 9 Tracks!

ss3.png

All racing-fans should give this a go!

Download: Powerslide v1.0

Nice!

At first I was sliding all over the place, but on the later levels I was starting to get the hang of the corners. The drift level was a nice idea, it's almost a minigame in itself.

I found the first level pretty hard as you have to be very careful not to hit any other car...

Great stuff so far!

Just gave it a quick go as I like these kind of racing games. The drifting does take a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang its great. One little bug is at the end of the race if you collide with another car when crossing the line the sound effect repeats over and over, easily fixed by killing the sfx after you have crossed the line.

Nice first release, looking forward to seeing it progress. Also, is it Sid James on the title screen? :) edit- just noticed you got it as an avatar as well, heh.

Been waiting for this one quite some time :p
I have some suggestions:
Physics - I miss some friction feeling of the wheels, especially when taking turns, even though it might be the game's charm.
Also , how about adding acceleration?

Graphics - I would like to see the wheels spinning - that should be pretty simple to implent, no?
Another thing that might improve the game feeling is rubber marks on the road.

I think you have done great job, the presentation is great and so does the fun factor.
I'll make it feel at home on my sd!

Cheers lads. Glad you had a go at it :)

Sound bug : yep. Its horrible and will be fixed. But even more importantly someone has done a new track! And its very very nice :) And there may be more! Fingers crossed.

Sid James. Legend.

The cars have better control than the first beta you released, but are still fairly challenging to get used to. That's not necessarily a bad thing, actually it's part of what makes every game unique, among other things. I'd almost say they feel like motor boats, a motor boat racing game would kick ass if you ask me, perhaps you could make a theme for something like this later on in the game's life :)

Again, thanks for the release, I'll keep working my way up the tracks :)

- Alex

The cars have better control than the first beta you released, but are still fairly challenging to get used to. That's not necessarily a bad thing, actually it's part of what makes every game unique, among other things. I'd almost say they feel like motor boats, a motor boat racing game would kick ass if you ask me, perhaps you could make a theme for something like this later on in the game's life :)

Again, thanks for the release, I'll keep working my way up the tracks :)

- Alex
That would be awesome, making this skinable and have config files for drift, acceleration and stuff, motorboats, quads, f1 cars and much more, great idea! Biggest problem would be the car models I'd say....

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a really nice game, well done.

About the only thing I'd like to see is the drifting turned down just a mite.
Either that, or have the view a bit more zoomed out.

I often found I was sliding sideways, nicely (or so I thought) in control, when I slammed into something that I had no chance of avoiding because it was too far offscreen half-way through the slide.

It for sure helped when I upgraded my tyres, which is a nice touch, but I think it's just a wee bit too crazy, initially anyway.

I hope you continue to develop this game, it's a real gem.

Thanks to whoever edited the original post and updated the file archive B)

Id just like to say thanks for all the encouragement and interest in my wee game. Im really enjoying coding for the GP2X - and a big part of that is down to the feedback from everyone. Thank you all :)

Jim

PS Where is normmatt? Thanks norm for the drift track idea - I owe you a pint of whatever you drink :D

I just tried your game last night and I think it's really good! It looks very good too. Keep it up UD! :)

Just one note: perhaps you can spare a small space on the titlescreen to explain the key-controls.

Very good game, i like it !
Just another suggestion : make the top of the screen semi-transparent, because the time is in whit and the border of track too.. :D

And why not a little screen of track during the loading ?

This version beats the hell out of the first beta but its not particularly dial up friendly :(

I like the idea of making this into say a boat racing game etc

Unfathomable Depths, I'll take a pint of whatever i'm given :p

EDIT: another think I'd love to see is a Handbrake button which would make turning sharp corners easier

I gave this a serious go last night, and got a list of points:

- I think you have the difficulties inversed, Hard is actually easy, and Easy is hard. I kept setting it to easy and lost the first track every single time, then switched to Hard and I won on the spot :)

- Now with the ability to beat tracks, I got to explore things a bit more. I didn't even know there were bonus drift tracks or upgrade shops where you can spend the bonus you gain. That adds lot of depth to the game.

- Even on easy difficulty (Hard option) the drifting is a tad too much, although tolerable. More control would be nice though, because in tracks such as track 5 it's very easy to hit walls and lose any sporting chance at victory.

- You advance to the next track once you win the current one, right? Well I gave track 5 perhaps six or seven tries, and on the last try i came out second, and advanced to the drift track regardless. it should be noted that it was a photo finish, so perhaps I came out first but the program took that into account before displaying the title.

- I got stuck at track 7, and it hit me that part of what keeps frustrating me at times is the stick. Often it simply won't register input because I don't press it exactly to the left or to right. How about you register left movement as UP-LEFT, LEFT, DOWN-LEFT, and right movement as UP-RIGHT, RIGHT, DOWN-RIGHT? That would allow for looser controls, and the game would flow a lot better.

Thanks again UD, great stuff :)

- Alex

i like the idea of showing the track on the loading screen, UD. i'll make a screen that you can drop a sized version of the track, if you want to do that. then it wouldn't even feel like a loading screen necessarily. if you have names for the tracks we could do titles too.

This is a damn fine game.

If the options are inversed I am chuffed with myself for reaching track 5 on 'easy'. :)

One thing though, during my first go, a second place finish was enough to see me through. Then I lost and went back to the title screen, and when I restarted, I was surprised to find myself back at track 3 (which was the track I had failed on), only now I had to get first place to suceed.

In order to start again I had to quit the game entirely. (I did this because I felt I had made the wrong purchasing decisions after the first drift section.)

I like the drift, and don't want to see it reduced, although admittedly I found that on one track (track 5, I think) It was faster to keep the pedal to the metal and bounce off the walls rather than drive 'properly'. Thing is, reducing the dirft will make the bonus sections harder.

Anyway this is a really excellent game. I'm gonna keep on playing it, and I look forward to seeing what this weekend brings about.

Thanks UD!

Excellent game. I didn't have to much time last night to play, but will seriously do some playing tonight.
I agree with everything in the posts on this game. I thought the colors and graphics were great. One suggestion, damage control would be cool. Either yourself or the other cars. Every fender bender could reduce the cars ability making it more realistic. Maybe to much damage and the car blows up or something along those lines.

Back