Power Supplies

ryanbgstl

Still Fresh
Somebody built a computer for my parents last year and they say one day that it just shut down, and now it will not even boot. I wondered if this problem could be caused because of using a P4 power supply with an AMD motherboard. When plugged in, the led by the RAM is lit up, but it won't turn on at all. I didn't know where else to ask where I'd get a fast reply.

Thanks.

Somebody built a computer for my parents last year and they say one day that it just shut down, and now it will not even boot. I wondered if this problem could be caused because of using a P4 power supply with an AMD motherboard. When plugged in, the led by the RAM is lit up, but it won't turn on at all. I didn't know where else to ask where I'd get a fast reply.

Yeah - Kjun is right - as long as the power supply is 350w or over, you should be fine. The only difference is that a P4 power supply has an extra connector that a P4 needs (a 4-pin one) but AMD processors don't.

First thing to ask is whether the fans/Hard Disks power up when you switch the machine on.

If the LED is on, it sounds like the PSU is still ok, though this is not guaranteed.

If no fans or Hard disks power up, try taking each card out of the machine one by one and powering it up each time. Very often, if a card dies, it will cause a short which stops the machine powering up. So, try taking the modem out and then powering the machine up. If this doesn;t work, put it back and try another card.

If the fans/hdd power up, but there is no display, then it sounds like it could be the graphics card, motherboard, CPU or RAM. Sorry I cant narrow it down more, but the only way of figuring it out is to swap each part out if possible. A comupter shop should be able to do this for you if you dont have the spares.

Hope that helps....

Well there are a few problems with the system that could happen.

Axeman has the idea of removing the cards and then starting with just ram motherboard and video card.

But 1 thing to do first is do you hear any beeps when you startup? these beeps tell u if there is a problem like if theres 2 beeps that could mean bad ram etc

Search for the bios beeps for that motherboard or the type of bios that motherboard supports.

1 other thing that happens alot is the capaciters on the motherboard dome up.

if u know what a cap is then you can tell if the top of it isnt flat if not then that means the motherboard is stuffed but not allways depends how much its domed.

if thats the problem you could desolder all the caps and replace them its worked on 19 out of 20 pcs iv done it to.

best bet is to try a new powersupply when powersupplys die they can make everything turn on lights etc but the pc wont work.

:ph34r:

Back