Possible New Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdonusX

Still Fresh
I litterally found a computer built into RAM! a SODIMM that has an embedded ARM11 processor 64mB(128MB) onboard RAM and 128MB NAND... literally built into the SODIMM! I would encourage EvilDragon, Craig and the rest of the devs here to at least take a look into it, I am sure by the time they are ready for Pandora 2.0, it will be someting worth considering, as it is designed solely for "embedded multimedia applications where size, high CPU performance, and low power consumption are critical factors."

defiinitely worth a look for future projects...

and it already comes with support for 2SDHC slots, audio, video, TV-Out and USB 2.0 host/device... reading the specs, it almost sounds like it was designed FOR the pandora!

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8261568366.html

* Processor -- 532MHz Freescale i.MX37
* Memory -- 64MB mobile DDR-SDRAM (expandable to 128MB), and 128MB of flash storage
* Display -- Supports up to 1024 x 768, via 24-bit LCD interface
* Networking -- 10/100 Ethernet
* Other I/O and expansion interfaces:
o 3 x RS232
o USB 2.0 host and device
o 3 x I2C
o 2 x SSP (includes I2S and AC '97 audio)
o 1 x Memory Stick Pro
o S/PDIF output
o 2 x SDIO
o 1 x TV-out
o 3 x SPI
o JTAG
* Power Supply -- 3.3V power supply with sources including 1-cell Li-Ion/Polymer battery (3.0V to 4.2V); 5.0V USB supply; AC wall adapter
* Dimensions -- 2.6 x 1 x 0.16 inches (67.6 x 26 x 4.2 mm)
* Temperature range -- -20 degree C to +70 degree C (-4 to 158 deg. F)

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh... I wonder if this could be used in x86-arm hybrid laptops.

The specs are rather... underwhelming. I'd rather see a Pandora 2 based on the OMAP 4's. Those things are going to be very speedy! :D

I think it is possible... but with the speed as it currently is, I can't see it being used on notebooks so much as netbooks or UMPCs...

i.MX37 is old based on ARM11, if it was based on the new i.MX51 it would be Cortex A8.

'Kramy' said:
Huh... I wonder if this could be used in x86-arm hybrid laptops.
Not using an ordinary laptop, I'm afraid.

They're using a SODIMM shaped board, because SODIMM sockets are inexpensive high-density connectors that hold the circuit board plugged into them securely.

The idea behind this thing is that when you're creating a new product you make another, less sophisticated circuit board that goes in your gadget or machine, put a SODIMM connector on it, then plug one of these in to provide all of the computing power, memory, comms, display controller, etc etc. That saves a shedload of development time, and will also be cheaper overall unless you're producing a reasonably large quantity of your product.

But if you plug one into a laptop's SODIMM socket you'll likely just get an expensive wisp of smoke. :)

'Firefox' said:
But if you plug one into a laptop's SODIMM socket you'll likely just get an expensive wisp of smoke. :)
Oh yes, I grasped that it had to be a custom made board. Still, the way they've isolated a lot of the important stuff onto a tiny super-compact SoDIMM is neat.

Specs are a joke. I bet the OMAP3 is already faster then that.
And I see no 3d HW on this chip.

And its sooo easy. Let's explain for C++ programmers:

CODE

pandora.version = 1;
omap.version = 3;
pandora.cpu = omap

If ( new_version == true) {
pandora.version++;
omap.version++;
}

'Kramy' said:
Oh yes, I grasped that it had to be a custom made board.
Ah, I beg your pardon. :)

'Kramy' said:
Still, the way they've isolated a lot of the important stuff onto a tiny super-compact SoDIMM is neat.
Yes indeed! Very cool what you can get on little boards for relatively little money nowadays...

'Adonus Prime' said:
I would encourage EvilDragon, Craig and the rest of the devs here to at least take a look into it, I am sure by the time they are ready for Pandora 2.0, it will be someting worth considering, as it is designed solely for "embedded multimedia applications where size, high CPU performance, and low power consumption are critical factors.

Is that a big joke !? if a Pandora 2.0 should exist in the near future, I hope it would be with at least a dual-core based on Cortex A9.

The good thing about this device is that as the CPU is mounted onto SIMM board - any future CPU changes could in theory be applied to the respective SIMM board - but thats about far as it goes - feature wise the base board is okay - the SIMM board with freescale CPU is probably its most limiting factor

Overall probably meant for more niche markets than pandora I suspect

'hlide' said:
'Adonus Prime' said:
I would encourage EvilDragon, Craig and the rest of the devs here to at least take a look into it, I am sure by the time they are ready for Pandora 2.0, it will be someting worth considering, as it is designed solely for "embedded multimedia applications where size, high CPU performance, and low power consumption are critical factors.

Is that a big joke !? if a Pandora 2.0 should exist in the near future, I hope it would be with at least a dual-core based on Cortex A9.
actually, I wasn't joking... by the time they even think of a pandora 2.0, this technology will be far ahead of where it is now (likely) and probably WILL be at dual-core status... I was speaking in future terms. Any good dev knows if a tech looks functional for something low-end now (lower than what you have currently) but could have potential to be built around for your project, you observe the progress of that tech to see if it really is worth is AND if it has the potential to outdo your current tech so as to validate its usage in your next level project. At least, that is the way I think... granted, I am not a pro dev, I'm pretty new to the game, admittedly. Still, how else do you plan to build something if you don't look for what works for you, and if it seems feasable, keep track of it. All the general components for the pandora are on a sodimm that is not much weaker at present than the pandora itself (though it is lacking mention of 3D)... with that in mind, if they were to build a mobo around that sodimm, they would have more room to incorporate other hardware onto said board... by the time they would start looking into it, the CPU would be much more powerful than it is now, AND with all the extra room, they may actually be able to offer a sodimm slot or two for upgradeable memory... can you imagine the pandora with 2GB of ram? building around this kind of tech, it is doable at what I think could be a low cost... it doesn't have to COME with that much, just be upgradeable to that much... hopefully someone sees where I am going with this...

This is more an intelligent RAM thing than a full Pandora-like system.
I don't understand what you're trying to suggest here.

This is like pointing to an SSD and saying, "Let's use this as our computer"

They don't sound like the same thing.

'fischju2000' said:
Talking about the Pandora 2 just isn't a good idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
If people think a more powerful one is coming out in the near future, they won't buy the first. Which isn't out.
Good thinking.
If anybody asks, tell them OP is going out of business and the Pandoras will cease to be after the second batch.

The specs are rather... underwhelming. I"d rather see a Pandora 2 based on the OMAP 4"s. Those things are going to be very speedy! :D

Upgrade to slower processor and less memory does not seem much like upgrade to me either.

Could we join all the Pandora2 suggestion threads together?

Then sink them in a REALLY deep trench in the middle of the sea, somewhere?

This is just a dev platform that happens to use the SODIMM form factor. It is nothing new and it is certainly not useful for this or future versions of the Pandora. Moved to Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back