Power Led !

Status
Not open for further replies.
gamefan999 posted on Jul 17 2006 at 05:24 AM said:
But you can't tell me that simple differences in silicon and manufacturing should be responsible for drastic differences in performance.

This is precisely *not* what the situation is, see? We are comparing *identical* units, not "more expensive" units to less expensive units.

Regarding the failure of my analogy and "a completely digital processor" - gee, I suppose the actual physical processor exists only as a series of zeroes and ones, and has no physical substance, eh? So it is impervious to physical phenomena like heat, power consumption, the stress limits of its construction?

Are you just plain stupid, or do you like contradicting yourself? You just stated the EXACT reason why so-called 'identical' units have 'drastic differences' in performance.

Either way, this topic has gone way off course. I won't reply anymore because anything else you reply with will only be a reflection of your own naiveness.

Edit: I'll provide one more analogy for you since you obviously didn't understand my last one: let's say you go to the hardware store and buy 5 bolts. You stress test them and find that 4 of the bolts will take 200 pounds of torque before snapping. However, the last bolt snapped at only 150 pounds. You go online and you find out that these bolts are rated only at 100 pounds of torque maximum. So you go back to the hardware store and complain that your 100-pound max torque bolt snapped at 150 pounds instead of 200 pounds like the other 4. Do you think they'll actually listen to you, or do you think they'll laugh you out of the store?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ranma13 posted on Jul 18 2006 at 06:55 AM said:
Edit: I'll provide one more analogy for you since you obviously didn't understand my last one: let's say you go to the hardware store and buy 5 bolts. You stress test them and find that 4 of the bolts will take 200 pounds of torque before snapping. However, the last bolt snapped at only 150 pounds. You go online and you find out that these bolts are rated only at 100 pounds of torque maximum. So you go back to the hardware store and complain that your 100-pound max torque bolt snapped at 150 pounds instead of 200 pounds like the other 4. Do you think they'll actually listen to you, or do you think they'll laugh you out of the store?
I second this analogy, it is awesome. (for extended similarity you can change the "pounds" to the actual mhz we are talking about :)).

Like this:
Edit: I'll provide one more analogy for you since you obviously didn't understand my last one: let's say you go to the hardware store and buy 5 bolts. You stress test them and find that 4 of the bolts will take 275 pounds of torque before snapping. However, the last bolt snapped at only 240 pounds. You go online and you find out that these bolts are rated only at 200 pounds of torque maximum. So you go back to the hardware store and complain that your 200-pound max torque bolt snapped at 240 pounds instead of 275 pounds like the other 4. Do you think they'll actually listen to you, or do you think they'll laugh you out of the store?

Ranma13 posted on Jul 18 2006 at 09:55 AM said:
Are you just plain stupid, or do you like contradicting yourself? You just stated the EXACT reason why so-called 'identical' units have 'drastic differences' in performance.
You apparently aren't reading very well or carefully. My very first response to you was, to recognize and accept the issue of "identical units having drastic differences in performance". See it here:
gamefan999 posted on Jul 17 2006 at 09:04 AM said:
So the question is better addressed as, did I get a "common" chip, or a "super" chip?... Still, as you are saying, I bought a chip rated at 200Mhz, so as long as I get *that* performance, I am not allowed to complain. But I can't help but feel cheated when I hear some units can OC stably (?) at 300Mhz.
If you think that accepting "simple differences in silicone and manufacturing" as an excuse for tolerating a wide range of performance is ok, then that is your business. I personally think that manufacturers can and should provide more consistency in their products. It has been implied in this thread, the manufacturers are aware of the issues of varying performance, and simply chose to overlook them. That is my beef, nothing more. I know you are going to respond with, "/whines/ But you're not supposed to get anything over 200Mhz, so you've already gotten what you paid for!" or something like that. But if you did say that, you would still be missing my point of not getting one of the sturdy units that get discussed in the forums. You must certainly work as a corporate liason for engineering-to-marketing (or ought to), what with your penchant for absolutes coupled with your whiny devotion to the letter of the label. Give us all a break! Anybody who buys anything expects to push it past its limits. Like I said, almost all products are designed with that kind of use in mind, if you don't know that, then *you* are being naive. Is it a crime to want stable 280Mhz instead of 233Mhz?

Finally, I find it wonderfully ironic that, for your last, persuasive analogy, you condescend to use a (gasp!) physical object to describe a digital process!! What on earth has gotten into you?!? 8^D

If I *was* going to buy bolts that I intended to use for up to 200 pounds of stress, I sure as hell wouldn't "go online and find out that these bolts are rated only at 100 pounds of torque maximum" AFTER I bought them!!! Wouldn't it seem logical to you to do such research BEFORE making a purchase? In which case, I wouldn't have *reason* to complain about a "faulty" 150 pound bolt, because I would have purchased the correctly rated hardware in the first place.

One last point...
Either way, this topic has gone way off course.
No, it hasn't: the OP said,
Xavier LaRue posted on Jul 16 2006 at 01:07 AM said:
The only thing special I've seen is that I can't overclock over 250 [ at 260 it frozen, but I presume that is normal sinece we're already at1.25x the normal speed ]
wipeout2000 posted on Jul 16 2006 at 01:32 AM said:
Yea u should try to return it. Mine overclocks to about 280 stably. That way you can get rid of the led problem and hopefully get one that overclocks better.

Congratulations on your stamina if you have read this far, though I don't suppose you have! And please, don't respond. Your self-congratulatory and weakly repetitive arguing ability bores me. I love a good conversation, debate, or argument, and you can't provide one.

gamefan999 posted on Jul 18 2006 at 09:36 AM said:
You apparently aren't reading very well or carefully. My very first response to you was, to recognize and accept the issue of "identical units having drastic differences in performance". See it here:
gamefan999 posted on Jul 17 2006 at 09:04 AM said:
So the question is better addressed as, did I get a "common" chip, or a "super" chip?... Still, as you are saying, I bought a chip rated at 200Mhz, so as long as I get *that* performance, I am not allowed to complain. But I can't help but feel cheated when I hear some units can OC stably (?) at 300Mhz.
If you think that accepting "simple differences in silicone and manufacturing" as an excuse for tolerating a wide range of performance is ok, then that is your business. I personally think that manufacturers can and should provide more consistency in their products. It has been implied in this thread, the manufacturers are aware of the issues of varying performance, and simply chose to overlook them. That is my beef, nothing more. I know you are going to respond with, "/whines/ But you're not supposed to get anything over 200Mhz, so you've already gotten what you paid for!" or something like that. But if you did say that, you would still be missing my point of not getting one of the sturdy units that get discussed in the forums. You must certainly work as a corporate liason for engineering-to-marketing (or ought to), what with your penchant for absolutes coupled with your whiny devotion to the letter of the label. Give us all a break! Anybody who buys anything expects to push it past its limits. Like I said, almost all products are designed with that kind of use in mind, if you don't know that, then *you* are being naive. Is it a crime to want stable 280Mhz instead of 233Mhz?

NO, IF YOU BOUGHT A PC OF 1 GIGAHERTZ AND IT WOULD ONLY CLOCK TO 1.2 GIGAHERTZ, EVEN THOUGH YOUR FRIENDS 1 GHZ WOULD GO 1.4 GHZ.

YOU GOT WHAT YOU PAYED FOR, 1 GIGAHERTZ

These issues have been discussed to death when PC overclocking started becoming popular, please go look into discussions on the issue of PC overclocking.

Edit: I suppose you do realize that the way manufacturors provide consistency is by rating "bins" into which they put the chips that only hit a certain speed?

As I previously mentioned the best way to get "special" units is to test a bunch until you find some that go very high, it is obviously easiest to let the distributors do that, and they should be payed for their time. (of course you could also buy a super-clocker CPU from mesdigital, but good luck getting one and having it put on the board, it uses a Ball-Grid-Array and I don't think you can change those.)

gamefan999 posted on Jul 18 2006 at 06:36 AM said:
Anybody who buys anything expects to push it past its limits. Like I said, almost all products are designed with that kind of use in mind, if you don't know that, then *you* are being naive. Is it a crime to want stable 280Mhz instead of 233Mhz?

First of all, anybody who buys anything does NOT expect to push it past its limits. Maybe that's how you feel but that's certainly not how others feel. If every chip could run stable at 280 MHz, why would they sell them at 200 MHz?

If I *was* going to buy bolts that I intended to use for up to 200 pounds of stress, I sure as hell wouldn't "go online and find out that these bolts are rated only at 100 pounds of torque maximum" AFTER I bought them!!! Wouldn't it seem logical to you to do such research BEFORE making a purchase? In which case, I wouldn't have *reason* to complain about a "faulty" 150 pound bolt, because I would have purchased the correctly rated hardware in the first place.

Wow, another self-contradiction. So you did your research, found out that the GP2X has a 200 MHz processor, and THEN bought the device, and then you complain that it can't get up to 280 MHz. You certainly 'wouldn't have reason to complain about a "faulty" 233 MHz GP2X", but that's not stopping you, now is it?

Congratulations on your stamina if you have read this far, though I don't suppose you have! And please, don't respond. Your self-congratulatory and weakly repetitive arguing ability bores me. I love a good conversation, debate, or argument, and you can't provide one.

Gee, that must be a self-reflection there. All you've been whining about was how your unit can't overclock like some other units and have stuck to that point like glue. Also, you've been trying oh-so-hard to somehow justify it in your mind that you're right despite no less than THREE people telling you you're wrong. If you love good conversation, you must really hate yourself.

gamefan999 posted on Jul 17 2006 at 11:24 AM said:
<snip>
But you can't tell me that simple differences in silicon and manufacturing should be responsible for drastic differences in performance.
<snip>

Actually, that is exactly what they are telling you, and it's a fact (which it seems you cannot accept).

Ranma13 posted on Jul 18 2006 at 07:42 PM said:
you must really hate yourself
You are one fucking ugly douchebag. What kind of shithead makes these kinds of statements in a public forum? Keep your self-loathing out of my face.

gamefan999 posted on Jul 18 2006 at 05:41 PM said:
Ranma13 posted on Jul 18 2006 at 07:42 PM said:
you must really hate yourself
You are one *censored bad language*. What kind of *poo*head makes these kinds of statements in a public forum? Keep your self-loathing out of my face.
Nice buddy.

Just because you start mouthing off and have never learned up on overclocking or "binned cpus" (technically ALL CPUs are binned except the handpicked ones), doesn't give you any right to use this kind of language.

I think we need to get that "cranky old man gamer" better known as Telcolou in here soon.

Ranma's comment was uncalled for, but your response is several times worse. Not nice.
Though, I've kind of gathered that you don't like being nice to people in general around here.

There are 3 types of people that piss me off:

1. People who are cocky and arrogant without cause.
2. People who are stubborn/naive and refuse to believe anything besides what they see fit, despite irrefutable and incontrovertible evidence being thrown in their faces.
3. People who believe they are better and somehow more deserving of something than someone else.

Guess where gamefan999 falls into. So my comment was a bit harsh. But we're talking about someone who whines because his GP2X can't overclock like a handful of other people can, and then declares an utterly naive and inane statement that if a processor is rated for 200 MHz, then they should ALL be able to overclock to 300 MHz because a handful of people were able to, nevermind what the norm is. It's this type of naivety coupled with a complete lack of ability to see any other viewpoints that really sets me off. There were multiple people telling him "Hey, guess what, you're wrong, that's not how things work" and he basically just repeated his point over and over, like he didn't even acknowledge we responded.

That's true, but it's still uncalled for to resort to personal attacks in public.
I'm not saying you had no reason for your comment, just that it would have been better left to PMs.

It's actually pretty useful...IF you notice it. Unfortunately, the LED's that GPH uses are pretty weak, so it's hard to tell when the light turns on, leading to situations where you're playing a game merrily, and then all of a sudden you hear a high-pitched squeal and your screen fades to white. I've resorted to keeping a mental track of how long I've used my batteries for cumulatively, and just switch them out when it's 'about time'.

Yep, I'm here.

And you're right, it's ridicolous.

A 200 MHz CPU can do 200 MHz. If it goes higher, you're lucky, but you can't demand it.

As it's technically not possible developing chips that ALL are overclockable up to the exact same value, you can either accept that and hope that it will go high - or never ever buy anything with a processor again, as this would revive your overclocking problems again which would lead to an early death because of a heart attack.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back