Batt Led Problems?

NickDaFish

Still Fresh
Hi All,
Does anyone know of any problems with the Batt LED? I have a brand new GP2X MkII and I love it. However the LED that's supposed to show when the batts are getting low never seems to light up. I've burned through several sets of AAs now and it never lights up. So...

Does anyone know of problems with firmware 2 and the batt LED? Is it reliable?

Does anyone have a LED testing app? I have seen some dev guides for writing one but it's going to be hard to know if my app doesn't work of if the LED doesn't work.... It would be great if someone had an app they knew worked that I could use to test if the LED works at all...

Thanks!

Hi All,
Does anyone know of any problems with the Batt LED? I have a brand new GP2X MkII and I love it. However the LED that's supposed to show when the batts are getting low never seems to light up. I've burned through several sets of AAs now and it never lights up. So...

Does anyone know of problems with firmware 2 and the batt LED? Is it reliable?

Does anyone have a LED testing app? I have seen some dev guides for writing one but it's going to be hard to know if my app doesn't work of if the LED doesn't work.... It would be great if someone had an app they knew worked that I could use to test if the LED works at all...

Thanks!

VICE uses the battery light to simulate 'disk' usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery led and "battery usage" applications only work on rechargables, so if you are using normal AA's, it's not going to light up/work.

Though I must say, anyone who isn't using rechargables for anything but emergency use must be insane and cost them a small fortune.

VICE uses the battery light to simulate 'disk' usage.

Not wishing to appear stupid here (It's a loooooooooooong time since my Vic20 and C64 days) but can you give me a little more help here? I'm not sure how to reproduce the batt light flashing...

Here is what I tryed (to no effect)
I downloaded vice2x-1.19.zip and a d64 file.
I fired up the x64 app on my gp2x.
I hit the right sholder button to get the little status bar.
I hit select, went to 'browse for d64' and loaded the d64 file for Aliens.
A '*' flashed on the status bar for about a second and the game loaded.
At no point did the batt light come on. I'm not sure there was enough disk activity to make the light come on.

Basically I'm not sure if that should have made the led flash or not. Perhaps someone can suggest a few lines of BASIC that can make the LED flash, simulating a dump of /dev/random to the disk or something? Or tell me what disk image would take longer and make it flash? As I don't have a known working gp2x to test this on it's kinda hard to determine a 'positive fail' condition <_<

For the sake of completeness I will also add that I used a few sets of Duracells before I got myself some 2500mAh Energizer rechargables. None have them have made the light come on before dying.

Thanks for the help!

One thing I've noticed is that vice only uses the battery led when you have true drive emulation set to on - this hsould also mean it'll take a few minutes to load most programs. Hopefully this'll help you test your led.

One thing I've noticed is that vice only uses the battery led when you have true drive emulation set to on - this hsould also mean it'll take a few minutes to load most programs. Hopefully this'll help you test your led.
Hummm.... what are you loading that take minutes? The d64s I've tryed are done in seconds. Can you give me an example I can try that lights your LED? I really need someone to give me a test case that makes the light go on that I can copy.

Thanks!

Back