I Killed My Gp2x

Mr. B

Still Fresh
Website
mrbsdomain.com
For the first time since I ran a screwdriver through the LCD ribbon cable of my Game.com some years ago, I've broken one of my toys.

So here's the short of it, the Viliv P1 Portable Media Player had a 5v 24 pin power adapter (same plug as EXT port) and stupid me plugged it in to my GP2X hoping it would power the device as I have yet to acquire an AC adapter. Suffice it to say, my GP2X hasn't worked since. Switching on the power illicits no reaction from the device, although the power LED sometimes glows briefly. When the power plug I used is in, the power led flashes slowly.

So my question is, did I fry one particular circuit that can be repaired or am I left with no alternative than a trip to play-asia.com.

...if the unit is not repairable I will try to offset the cost of my stupidity and sell the (mint cosmetic condition) unit on ebay.

I would imagine that everythings fried. I mean, its not good sending 5v straight to the I/O pins on the CPU.

@Deleted User: He hooked it up to EXT, so thats not the issue.

The issue is whether our friend should get a new GP2X and never do this again, or instead have his head examined.

Wow you have to be very "clever" to try such a thing, its most likely dead forever, buy a new one and slap yourself.

Mr. B,

Considering there is no standard pin out that the EXT uses chances are (well not chances, it's a fact) that you have put 5 volts straight up the EXT port and back onto the board on something very delicate that did not like it.

You may have just blown something simple like a cap but the post mortem to find out the exact problem would be very hard (it’s not like you even know what of the 24 pins where carrying the power to find out what may have blown 1st).

If you can get some more details some of us may be able to help you and maybe even have a go at fixing it but it's a long shot.

The only things you may salvage easily from your GP2X are the LCD (if your lucky), case, buttons etc. - The PCB is almost 100% certainly deader then the dodo. Considering it's a single board system there is little your lightly to salvage if that blows I am afraid.

Sorry, it's one of those painful experiences about sticking something where it does not belong :(.

That said, let us know the eBay link, I need some bits ;).

I am almost sure that ED said some time ago that too high voltage and wrong polarity almost everytime kill two parts that can be changed more or less easily. Ask EvilDragon, he will tell you.

Emu&Co posted on Aug 13 2006 at 10:55 PM said:
I am almost sure that ED said some time ago that too high voltage and wrong polarity almost everytime kill two parts that can be changed more or less easily. Ask EvilDragon, he will tell you.
Yes, when fed through the power supply in. This is through th EXT port to some random parts of the GP2x that we don't know, unless someone examines th ecord and the GP2x and then his GP2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, most probably fixable.
If it's just negative polarity or a little too high voltage, it's the LTSK. Fixed a few of them already :)
If the voltage is higher, it can also break the Zener diode controlling the LTSK and a condensator.
But then it will be completely dead.
If it DOES something (even only switching on the LED), it's most probably only the LTSK.

I'm currently fixing a gp2x fried with 12V. LTSK changed, but waiting for the Zener diode to arrive.

I don't know, those look like bad pins to send a bunch of voltage through... two video pins, a USB pin, and the reset line (on a MK I at least, I think that one's different on MK II)

Oh, sorry, read too fast... didn't see you fried it on your EXT port :/
Then it's most probably something different than the LTSK.

B)-->
Mr. B said:
For the first time since I ran a screwdriver through the LCD ribbon cable of my Game.com some years ago, I've broken one of my toys.

So here's the short of it, the Viliv P1 Portable Media Player had a 5v 24 pin power adapter (same plug as EXT port) and stupid me plugged it in to my GP2X hoping it would power the device as I have yet to acquire an AC adapter. Suffice it to say, my GP2X hasn't worked since. Switching on the power illicits no reaction from the device, although the power LED sometimes glows briefly. When the power plug I used is in, the power led flashes slowly.

So my question is, did I fry one particular circuit that can be repaired or am I left with no alternative than a trip to play-asia.com.

...if the unit is not repairable I will try to offset the cost of my stupidity and sell the (mint cosmetic condition) unit on ebay.
[/quote]Hahaha, I wanted to do that too, but people of this forum stopped me from trying it :) At least you won't try it again.

Sorry to hear about your GP2X Mr. B, but you shouldn't put anything in the spaces which they aren't ment for.

Vimacs posted on Aug 14 2006 at 06:55 AM said:
Wow you have to be very "clever" to try such a thing, its most likely dead forever, buy a new one and slap yourself.

Can I honestly ask why you are a mod, Vimacs? All you seem to do is come in and randomly abuse people for making mistakes.

Allan.

Back