Post Your Dosbox Successes Here

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
There are a lot of great old DOS games, and many which should run great on the Pandora.

Report your success stories on the forum, maybe even here if you've got some -- give us some ideas for what to fire up ourselves :)

I should've made videos/screenies, but was busy fiddling in the middle of the night while my baby girl slept, so was being quiet!

Eye of the Beholder series -- play great! I've shown videos before, months ago, but for completeness thought I'd mention it.

Wizardry 6 and 7 -- flawless! (And two of the best old school RPGs around.)

Warcraft 2 -- being in SVGA does slow things down quite a bit, but with some overclocking it actually plays pretty well; with a lot of actoin going on it might slow down, but you can definately play the first couple levels (I did) in the scenario :)

Dune 2 -- runs great; I've not tried it in 6mo, but at the time I was using a USB mouse and fully played a few levels.

Civilization 1 -- runs flawless

Civilization 2 (DOS, not Test of Time/etc), Advanced Civ etc -- should be playable as well, but been months and I forget .. but seem to recall the right versoins were no problem, but this was the cusp when developers were switching to Windows.

Master of Magic -- at low clock runs great, but a few 'traqnsitions' (when switching between screens) slow down, so you have to run clocked up so that its playable; I didn't complete any sessions, just fired it up and fiddled around, but looks like it'd be playable.

M.A.X. -- (Mechanized Assault and eXploration) -- great RTS-or-Turn-Based game (that Inteprlay screwed over hard); looks like it'd be hard to manage with the nubs for mouse, but plays pretty god with usb mouse ;) So with tweaking the controls should be okay.

Anyone else?

jeff

I have a question about the SD slot address in Linux. Are they persistant, the 'm6737sjsj blah blah'? They're also not easy to remember, so is there a path using the memory card name anywhere on the filesystem tree?

I only ask because booting dosbox, I was gonna mount a drive in the 'mount c /linuxpath' fashion but wasn't sure.

Once I get it going, I'll give you some feedback.

i would love to see some skyroads!

i know! why not some logo action! lets see that turtle run! (around the world)

skeezix said:
Warcraft 2 -- being in SVGA does slow things down quite a bit, but with some overclocking it actually plays pretty well; with a lot of actoin going on it might slow down, but you can definately play the first couple levels (I did) in the scenario :)
Woah.

Civilization 2 (DOS, not Test of Time/etc), Advanced Civ etc -- should be playable as well, but been months and I forget .. but seem to recall the right versoins were no problem, but this was the cusp when developers were switching to Windows.
WOAH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey jeff, what would you recommend, playing the original warcraft II on dosbox or the wargus/stratagus engine port, which might be faster, but probably more incomplete?

Has anyone tried Megarace or Lode Runner: The Legend Returns yet?

If not, I will when my Pandora arrives (queue position 350-450 from gbax, airmail to USA)

EDIT

Processor Req for Megarace: 386 / 33 MHz
Processor Req for LR:TLR: 25 Mhz

LR:TLR also had a PSX port if it won't run in dosbox .. and Megarace had a Sega CD port.

DroneB Dev said:
i would love to see some skyroads!

I had a little go on Skyroads and it looks to work just fine :)

skeezix said:
I should've made videos/screenies, but was busy fiddling in the middle of the night while my baby girl slept, so was being quiet!
[...]
Anyone else?
Were you running at standard 500mhz clock speed, or something else?

Little Big Adventure and Dungeon Keeper would be the ones I'd be interested in seeing tested.

Edit: A link in this thread has reminded me that I was involved in a previous discussion on this, the conclusions were Dungeon Keeper cannot be done.

ive already beat keen 4 on the pandora, working on keen 5 at the moment. Both run well between 600-700 Mhz.
Ran some alien carnage and it seems ok, biomenace works (should as its the keen galaxy engine)
Blake Stone runs at 600/700 with some of the special effects off.

Back