Post Here When Your Refund Clears

GunPei2X said:
Pleng, not sure where you're pulling these suppositions from, but it has been repeatedly said that the production is all paid for regardless of what happens with the bank issue. Just chill.
I think Pleng is saying he does not believe that we are being told the complete truth.

I guess some people on the boards have blind faith in everything they have been told, some people are the polar opposite and see deception.

Me I am somewhere in the middle..... however I do have some slight concerns over the way the whole comms situation is being handled. Chip is doing a good job with the information he has been given however my personal opinion is that we need an quick 5 min post every day updating the pre-order people on the situation from craigx.

To not do this and risk losing orders to disgruntled people seems almost suicidal to me (and dare I say bad business practice).

7Zark7

Last edited by a moderator:
7zark7 said:
Chip is doing a good job with the information he has been given however my personal opinion is that we need an quick 5 min post every day updating the pre-order people on the situation from craigx.

Absolutely. Even if it's just something along the lines of

"Spoke to the bank today. I said ..., they said ... . No progress yet guys"

Somebody on the Pandora team should be chasing up the bank daily to get this sorted out. If somebody IS doing that currently, then letting everyone know about it would go a long way to calming people down.

GunPei2X said:
Pleng, not sure where you're pulling these suppositions from, but it has been repeatedly said that the production is all paid for regardless of what happens with the bank issue. Just chill.
If you believe that then thats upto you, none of the parts were ordered *until* after pre-ordering and payment had taken place meaning the money gained at that time was used to pay for the parts...also meaning why not everyone will get a refund because that money was used....

Chip said:
As much as there is a schedule, we're on it. Right now the last bit that they're working on is the keypad prototype. Apparently they weren't happy with the first tests so they're still working to get it just right. I'm told that once the keypads are done to everybody's satisfaction, we'll see final Pandoras.
This was posted on another thread, worth re-posting here for those that have not seen it.

7Zark7

First of all, I will still be re-ordering and remain committed to the project.......but where on these forums does it say that production has been paid for already? I thought the devs weren't making a profit from this as all of the money made from the pre-order was going into paying for production of the machine?

I few quotes would be nice just to clarify and shut us all up! If it is all paid for then we should assume that they'll be shipped on time (as and when the LCD's get delievered)

If we haven't received refunds by monday I'll be raising an eyebrow or two.........

PS I know that Chip said production was accounted for, just need someone to dev out a dev saying that.....

I'm presuming it's been paid for out of their own pocket, with the hope that they'd recoup their losses from the pre-order, bringing their bank balances up to where it first started and credit lines back down to a reasonable level.

Re: those who want a dev to reply instead of Chip, it is worth noting that Craig has publicly stated the Chip is now doing the official PR to free up the rest of the team's time.

For those that cannot be bothered to click the link, here's a quote:

craigix said:
Yeah, Chip is going to handle PR related things to give the rest of the team some extra time on the low level stuff.
Ubuntu is good PR, there is just no way around it - if we want the Pandora to be a success we need things like this, it will benefit us all in the long run - once we get on the radar we get more attention, more sales, more devs, maybe even commercial games - the OMAP platform is going to have commercial games either way so us being well known will only help us get Pandora versions.

As BenT said, we need to strike while the iron is hot - because if we don't someone else will - and I bet they won't be a project like this.

Remembering a very old info(maybe it was an interview with ED) where an investor from the community was mentioned. But seriously, this speculation doesn't move us forward IMO

NickLoTurco said:
First of all, I will still be re-ordering and remain committed to the project.......but where on these forums does it say that production has been paid for already? I thought the devs weren't making a profit from this as all of the money made from the pre-order was going into paying for production of the machine?
Profit is not the same thing as cash flow. They had reportedly already spent over half a million quid on development long before pre-orders were taken. It has been hinted (and is clearly true) that they had an outside investor bankrolling the project, so any pre-order money may not be essential for cash flow, but would not be counted as profit until the outlays are fully met. As for that quote:

1. I do know our financial position (at least I have a better idea of it than most) and there is no significant risk of Openpandora going under smile.gif Never say never (especially not with the current world economic situation), but Openpandora is not in any danger. If we were operating on a huge budget made up of borrowed money, there might be reason for concern, but this is not the case.

2. Production is already accounted for. The banking hassle is nothing more than an inconvenience. As I have said in previous posts, manufacturing will commence no matter what. If you have paid for a Pandora, you will get one. Nothing (except meteors!) can stop it now.

I do agree that a clear statement on the banking progress would be nice, but read between the lines, guys. There is obviously a negotiation taking place right now that may mean the refunds will not need to happen at all. Now, the devs cannot discuss this openly for obvious reasons, one being that if they say one thing is likely and then the opposite happens, it will be a firestorm of recriminations (as has been demonstrated already).

There is little to do but exert patience until this process resolves. If you paid for a Pandora, you will get a Pandora.

GunPei2X said:
...read between the lines, guys. There is obviously a negotiation taking place right now that may mean the refunds will not need to happen at all...

That's the optimist's view on why no refunds have been received. A pessimist could read between the lines and come up with an entirely *different* reason.

Back