porting: free red alert or open red alert?

___

Advanced Member
Hey pandorians! I just compiled freera on my pandora. Haven't tested it yet but found that the open red alert build on the repo is three years old and does not feature any challenging AI.

I have tried to get an overview of what makes the two engine reimplementations different and am pretty confused.

FreeRA: apparently tries to be as close to the original game as possible. very easy to compile, runs ra1 and some mods. renders through SDL.

OpenRA: tries to add to the original gameplay, doesn't aim to recreate original singleplayer experience as far as I understand. supports more content (dune200, mods, cnc1, ra1). requires openGL which makes it a lot more difficult to port. Also requires Shaders 2.0.

Is anyone interested in a release of freeRA or is it smarter to work on openRA and see how that works out? lots of changes since the last openpandora release. GL and shaders are a huge hurdle though.

Has anyone run these on their home system and can tell me if it's worth looking into openRA to see if the singleplayer campaigns are complete? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey pandorians! I just compiled freera on my pandora. Haven't tested it yet but found that the open red alert build on the repo is three years old and does not feature any challenging AI.

I have tried to get an overview of what makes the two engine reimplementations different and am pretty confused.

FreeRA: apparently tries to be as close to the original game as possible. very easy to compile, runs ra1 and some mods. renders through SDL.

OpenRA: tries to add to the original gameplay, doesn't aim to recreate original singleplayer experience as far as I understand. supports more content (dune200, mods, cnc1, ra1). requires openGL which makes it a lot more difficult to port. Also requires Shaders 2.0.

Is anyone interested in a release of freeRA or is it smarter to work on openRA and see how that works out? lots of changes since the last openpandora release. GL and shaders are a huge hurdle though.

Has anyone run these on their home system and can tell me if it's worth looking into openRA to see if the singleplayer campaigns are complete? 
I had planned both, but I have a long todo... FreeRA is indeed C++ & SDL, so looks easy to port, but I'm not sure it's functionnaly complete.

OpenRA is C# (so you need mono) and OpenGL 2.0 with shaders, so a port to GLES|2.0 is mandatory. I have started (a few mounth ago), but I'm only like 30% to 50% in the process, with no garanties to succeed...

Okay, then I'll try to release this properly. I am home now so can add the game data and see how it performs. It was very easy to compile. Thanks a lot for the advice. I will first see if the game is completable though.

The game performance seems good. Very fluid. The missions do not work properly though. I might not have the correct datafiles or something else went wrong during compilation. When I have something playable I will upload binaries for others to test. Cheers!

Back