GP32 Porting All Of Flubba's Emus To Gp32

DaveC

Internal Development
Here is a gold mine of source code to all of FluBBa's great emus. My cool idea and other wish is for some uber l337 coder to come along and port these.

Imagine PC-Advance running at full speed with full sound , full resolution, saves, CD support etc. That is what you would get if you ported this.

"REMEMBER!
TO MAKE A PORT YOU NEED A SOURCE CODE!
Once again: PORTS NEED A SOURCE CODE! " the description to this section says, well here you go... Source code!

http://hem.passagen.se/flubba/gba.html

I know this is going to sound extremely sad... Given how often coders hard drives crash and they lose all their source etc (not very often but once is often enough) I have downloaded all the sources from the above link. I know I'm being paranoid, but... well... y'know...

If you have stumbled across this thread 8 months from now and the link no longer works feel free to give me a shout.

J(ohn)

I seem to remember Reesy saying that all the graphics routines would need rewriting (because they use the GBA custom chips) but the rest should be reasonably simple. There's also another PCEngine emu that has the source released, PceGP. Maybe it's possible to pinch the graphics routines from PceGP and implement them in a port of PCEAdvance?

Might be a good starting point anyway...

J(ohn)

johncross85 posted on Feb 18 2005 at 08:44 PM said:
I seem to remember Reesy saying that all the graphics routines would need rewriting (because they use the GBA custom chips) but the rest should be reasonably simple. There's also another PCEngine emu that has the source released, PceGP. Maybe it's possible to pinch the graphics routines from PceGP and implement them in a port of PCEAdvance?

Might be a good starting point anyway...

J(ohn)

I think FluBBa's emu is better, it is more efficient, supports CD and SGFX etc. I think the other is ported from a PC so it would be more bloated and run slower.

Reesy did say that porting the GBA emus would not be that hard. The rendering code would need to be re-done but everything else would be pretty straight forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
omg *O* gba advance may soon be properly playable on a gp32.. would make my sp and gba redundant @j@' ooh everything on the one machine.. i love gp32 *U*

tommymordecai posted on Feb 23 2005 at 12:24 PM said:
omg *O* gba advance may soon be properly playable on a gp32.. would make my sp and gba redundant @j@' ooh everything on the one machine.. i love gp32 *U*

What!!?! GBA playable on GP32? where did you get that from? :rolleyes:

SNESADVANCE

now theres a fast snes emu (with the superdat)

the GP could do with that one...

sPaCe :ph34r:

onionfrog posted on Feb 26 2005 at 12:39 AM said:
snes advance has shit compatability... Only a few games work...
Plus I believe Opensnes is better than that anyway....
: :lol: ph34r: gp32_console

plays ok on my GBa

what it does emulate it does well

low compat in favour of better speed/sound -

thats what opensnes needs

from what i remember snes games had quite a few custom chips

that makes it a bit more difficult

ELOL!
Either way, It'd be waste of time to port that emu, theres already a great emulator. OpensnesGp.. Which runs straight without sound...
Reesy looked into the code and said that the rendering code wasnt too good.. Plus itd be pretty nice speed if the sound mixing was redone in ASM...
If someone picked up Opensnes i'm sure we could have very excellent snes emulation...

Plus i've already got near perfect snes emulation on my gp32.
*Overclocks to 200 mhz*
*Hooks up gp32 to D battery pack*
Near perfect snes emualtion with decent battery life if you use D batteries...
:lol: :D :lol: :ph34r: gp32_console

onionfrog posted on Feb 26 2005 at 01:57 AM said:
ELOL!
Either way, It'd be waste of time to port that emu, theres already a great emulator. OpensnesGp.. Which runs straight without sound...
Reesy looked into the code and said that the rendering code wasnt too good.. Plus itd be pretty nice speed if the sound mixing was redone in ASM...
If someone picked up Opensnes i'm sure we could have very excellent snes emulation...

Plus i've already got near perfect snes emulation on my gp32.
*Overclocks to 200 mhz*
*Hooks up gp32 to D battery pack*
Near perfect snes emualtion with decent battery life if you use D batteries...
:lol: :D :lol: :ph34r: gp32_console

The sound really sucks on OSNES9x though. I hate playing without sound so I never use that emu. I don't know who would fix the emu but it may never happen.

The emu from Flubba that would be nice to have is the PC-Engine one. It has saves and good compatibility, CD, etc.

Yeah the sound on Opensnes isnt so good... What with the crackling and whatnot...
Dnt know whod be able to pick it up and make is supurb...
Flubba's Pce emu would be kickass...
But Gpengine is pretty amazing as it is....
The again it doesnt have cd support... or savestates... :(
Oh well, we can only hope that someone will port some of flubbas emus...

I dont think that reesy will get involved with opensnes ever (although you would have to ask him yourself...)

doncha think that flubbas emulator could be used to smooth out opensnes - to optimise it so that sound does not slow it !

P.S. what you talkin about D batteries and perfect snes emu? with sound?

I'm talking about building a battery pack for your gp32 that uses D batteries. Then you get insane battery life when you are not overclocking. And if you gp32 can overclock crazily high (like 200mhz) Then youll end up with about the usual battery life if you didnt overclock and used aa batteries. When you overclock that high, the perfomance of opensnesgp is much better...For example: Chrono trigger which usually runs about half speed without sound, runs fullspeed without when you overclock that high. So games that usually run well without sound run just about fine with sound when yopu overclock to 200mhz..Unfortunately for you, not very many gp32s can clock this high.
But mine can! :D

@Onionfrog: Yeah, but that doesn't fix the crackling...and all I can do is drool since mine only goes 166. And I paid extra for that...fortunately not much extra since J2rswiss' prices are fair. And if your gonna attach 2 D's to your gp32, you might as well get a SNESportable.

@The_Diabologic: Except for the fact that the source code is lost and it cant be updated anymore. And also, its not perfect, it still had some stuff missing, like save support. But I go along with the idea of porting the GBA PCE emu, if it works decent on a GBA, it probably works perfect on a GP32.

Yeah the sound crackling is annoying. but its the best that can be done for now...

I'm not gonna have the D batteries strapped to the gp32, just in my pocket with a cord leading out and plugging into my gp32...

Plus a snes portable would be larger and crappier battery life... :p
Eh, i dont play snes on my gp32 much anyways...
Megadrive all the way!! :D

Blah posted on Feb 26 2005 at 11:42 PM said:
@onionfrog: Yeah, but that doesn't fix the crackling...and all I can do is drool since mine only goes 166. And I paid extra for that...fortunately not much extra since J2rswiss' prices are fair. And if your gonna attach 2 D's to your gp32, you might as well get a SNESportable.

@the_Diabologic: Except for the fact that the source code is lost and it cant be updated anymore. And also, its not perfect, it still had some stuff missing, like save support. But I go along with the idea of porting the GBA PCE emu, if it works decent on a GBA, it probably works perfect on a GP32.

Plus FluBBa has the Dracula-X CD working on his emu. Try THAT with GP-enngine.

Plus GP-engine has alot of other problems other than saves. The Sprite in Bonk 2 is missing making it unplayable, Blazing lazers is Glitched out after the first boss, backgrounds are missing in R-TYPE, SGX games don't work, you have to run at FS1 (should easily be able to run at full speed at FS0) it is good but could be much better.

DaveC posted on Feb 27 2005 at 05:30 AM said:
Plus FluBBa has the Dracula-X CD working on his emu. Try THAT with GP-enngine.

Plus GP-engine has alot of other problems other than saves. The Sprite in Bonk 2 is missing making it unplayable, Blazing lazers is Glitched out after the first boss, backgrounds are missing in R-TYPE, SGX games don't work, you have to run at FS1 (should easily be able to run at full speed at FS0) it is good but could be much better.
:blink: :eek: d... dracula x CD? bonk 2? *drools* if only some programming superhero could come and give such wonders to us humble gp owners...

Back