Porting a Bible App

Kosmos

I posted a request here: http://boards.openpa...unty-bible-app/

Which died I think due to lack of incentive or wrong sub-forum. [ I am now offering a bounty ]

I guess that I will take Gruso's advice below and start looking to port this myself, with help from those who can answer my questions along the way regarding the porting of Xiphos. both as a learning experience for me in porting and to give something to the community that there ARE some people who would like to use one.

The Pandora is the PDA I dreamed of to replace my Libretto and HP200. I currently must run Qemu + Win3.1 to get a workable Bible app.

Part of the reason I bought a Pandora was to go Linux more often and transition away from Windows.

Xiphos is an update of Gnome-Sword. It is a Library Engine with many features for study and research of Biblical texts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Erm... The amount of the bounty you are offering might be a useful detail. :)

- Neelix

I posted a request here: http://boards.openpa...unty-bible-app/

Which died I think due to lack of incentive or wrong sub-forum.

So I changed sub-forum and changed the topic.
Unfortunately I had to move it back to General, as the dev forum is just for active projects. Sorry about that! To be honest, if the previous 3-page thread didn't get things moving, a new one may not be a lot of help (although a bounty may not hurt).

I think your best course of action is to start the work yourself, and start a thread in the dev forum as a dev log. In that thread you can post all your steps, specific questions, error messages you're getting etc, and you're likely to get very specific help. I've been down this path a number of times, thinking I was going to hit a brick wall and give up every time. And every time, some guru in the community pulls me out of the muck and helps me get the job done.

I don't know if you've read the latest Inside The Box, but here's my article and here's the old thread the story came from. It's the harder road to travel, but very much worth it IMO. :)

I think your best course of action is to start the work yourself, and start a thread in the dev forum as a dev log. In that thread you can post all your steps, specific questions, error messages you're getting etc, and you're likely to get very specific help. I've been down this path a number of times, thinking I was going to hit a brick wall and give up every time. And every time, some guru in the community pulls me out of the muck and helps me get the job done.

It's the harder road to travel, but very much worth it IMO. :)

Thanks Gruso and I understand your moving it and thank you for not penalizing me for the mistake. Still learning here and I only got the Pandora 2 weeks ago. It has been a blast and my biggest Linux opportunity yet. replacing my love missed Libretto 50 and HP200. It has led me to discover that my NAS is actually running a minimal debian system and I have already added some software from the debian repo and had a blast.

I wanted to be involved anyway as both a learning experience and preparation for more linux work I would like to do. So this road-less-travelled may be the way to go.

I will be mulling this over. I had assumed the Dev forum was for people more experienced but if you think it would be the place for me to do this - than I just may. I have done programming in Windows and this will be a challenge but - for me - as fun as a game!

So... Is this going to be a bounty or not? If so, then I'll gladly update the bounties thread, and you should post here how much the bounty is going to be. If not and you're simply going to port it solo, then good luck!

So... Is this going to be a bounty or not? If so, then I'll gladly update the bounties thread, and you should post here how much the bounty is going to be. If not and you're simply going to port it solo, then good luck!

Considering that this is the second request and the ratio of Visits-to-replies is pretty high... I think that I will take Gruso's advice and port it solo. what a learning experience because I have no idea what to expect...

But what an experience if I succeed.!

I will update the title and cancel the bounty. Thanks and it will take something better than Luck <G>.

Prayer and Hard Work!

Back