[SOLVED] Bible App

Anyone is in a position to port one - its free software

You are free to request a port, but it will only happen if someone volunteers. If you don't want to do the work yourself, you might need to start a bounty.

Last edited by a moderator:
so, gnome-sword, xiphos, or bible-time. And I would help support this any way I could as I see it as a very useful project for some of us.

Please?! I am very serious.
I understand you. But as you can see religion doesnt make unanimity here and saying "opinion apart" doesnt make it happen.

As it havent happened yet, I'm betting no dev is interested in doing so. Your best bet is to do it yourself ;)

Grab a toochain / get the source / build it / package it (use irc channel for support)

OK,

but I have NEVER EVER compiled a program in linux before. I CAN follow directions and learn if someone could step me through the process off channel. I am game and Do work in BASIC and C++ programming in Windows. this is my first Linux-only system.

Anyone is in a position to port one - its free software

You are free to request a port, but it will only happen if someone volunteers. If you don't want to do the work yourself, you might need to start a bounty.

I am more than willing to do it myself but will need a bit of help getting started as this will be a first.

We can do this in the thread or by email.

I also only have experience with Debian and PCLinuxOS. So Angstrom is another first. I have already come a long way in 1 week and am running my OS from the SD. And I have CodeBlocks installed as I already use it on my XP desktop with GCC for windows. But I want to work over towards Linux entirely.

@Kosmos: just for curiosity, can you point me some of the features that the apps you are referring have ?

anyway, there is Xournal that can make you highlight passages and take annotations on a PDF itself... here a video

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WifbpKqS_-U?feature=oembed

and I think it's already installed on the Pandora

@Kosmos: just for curiosity, can you point me some of the features that the apps you are referring have ?

http://xiphos.org/

Plugin modules (downloads from the sword site) to setup your own library of chosen bible texts, commentaries, and language dictionaries regardless of denomination. I use it in Debian and PCLinuxOS. and all the modules are crosslinked like a library catalogue. I am ready to compile it myself (with help) and make it available to others. but I need help to do it and it would be a great learning opportunity to learn how to recompile on linux and the Pandora specifically. I had recompiled separate custom version for some friends in the late 90s. These were Windows though and now I personally would like to create a version for the Pandora.

http://xiphos.org/

Plugin modules (downloads from the sword site) to setup your own library of chosen bible texts, commentaries, and language dictionaries regardless of denomination. I use it in Debian and PCLinuxOS. and all the modules are crosslinked like a library catalogue.

I read the Bible for 3 times in my life, but never in a so professional way... I'm astonished

I am not a professional but it is a serious study.

OK, so I went to sebt3's above referenced "yactfeau" site and downloaded the SDK. And I will download the Virtualbox image and try following that page as far as it goes. I'm game! I am on Freenode now and will be again tomorrow.

I will definitely shout for help if I need to and ignore the noise that always follows any discussion on religion.

I can either try to do this on my Pandora or on my Netbook using VB in XP.

NO NO NO. a buddhist app is what we need!!!!!
quote--

Was that supposed to be funny? :huh:

Actually, speaking as a Buddhist, I'd welcome a more universal study app that could allow for texts from all religions to be loaded, and studied in a similar way. Studying the sutras in greater detail would be nice, although honestly, I can't see that being very good on the pandora. Ipad, yes, pandora...not so much.

I actually gave a try at porting Xiphos they use some non-standard configuration method when compiling.. It may compile fine directly on the Pandora, but cross-compiling would need a bit of tweaking to port properly.. when I get time to look at it more.. I need to get my C development setup working again directly on the Pandora or hack together a Makefile for the cross-compiling.

<--- Athiest , but I feel it's a good project to work on.

king_james_bible_11_box_front.jpg

NO NO NO. a buddhist app is what we need!!!!!
quote--

Was that supposed to be funny? :huh:
Actually, speaking as a Buddhist, I'd welcome a more universal study app that could allow for texts from all religions to be loaded, and studied in a similar way. Studying the sutras in greater detail would be nice, although honestly, I can't see that being very good on the pandora. Ipad, yes, pandora...not so much.

Suggesting a Buddhist (or multi-faith) app is fine, trying to build a joke/troll around whether one religion is more worthwhile than another, isn't.

I actually gave a try at porting Xiphos they use some non-standard configuration method when compiling.. It may compile fine directly on the Pandora, but cross-compiling would need a bit of tweaking to port properly.. when I get time to look at it more.. I need to get my C development setup working again directly on the Pandora or hack together a Makefile for the cross-compiling.

Thanks TMG. Sounds like it is more than a newbie like myself could do then. I have spent all morning installing VirtualBox and the Ubuntu development. Updated it to the last 10.10 stuff and am now upgrading the Guest Additions. 4 hours on a netbook and phew..... I really would appreciate your work.

And for the others, The Sword Project can be customized.... I WAS able to recompile a Jewish Version and catholics can have their apocrypha. but Bible Study (for any faith) can be in-depth with myself having almost 1gb of support material and others having more.

It also is helping me reacquaint with Linux. I want my pandora to go with me everywhere! And this is the last necessity.

then I simply need to figure out quirks like getting a pnd to autolaunch when a certain extension is clicked (ie abi's start vlc.pnd) but those are just tweaks.

And this is not the place for mockery. I asked a simply request and try to belittle no-one. And I just ignore any returns of such as humanly possible.

Thanks again TMG. I hope that you can help because my pit is getting deeper than a newbie can handle...

Going to try my best, this program has a ton of dependencies.. It may take some time to figure them all out.

I had in my plans writing an easy to use and functional bible reader for Pocket PC (with basic supporting features like quick verse location, auto and on-demand positions saving, commentaries and user notes, automatic reference linking, split screen for version comparisons, etc.). That was before I heard about Pandora. When I finally get my Pandy (now in production) it will become my primary portable device, so the plan will change to write the app on it instead. But it won't be soon, as I have some time-critical projects going on, and have no idea when I have some spare time to start this.

Why writing instead of porting? Because I haven't found any app on PPC that would suit my needs, and one that is bearable (Olive Tree) has closed file format, so I can't convert Bible versions in my language for it. If there is a software that I would like, that can be ported to Pandora, I will try that first (if no one manages it before me).

of course there are also historians who study bible texts to use it for any references to things that may or may not be true.

I had in my plans writing an easy to use and functional bible reader for Pocket PC (with basic supporting features like quick verse location, auto and on-demand positions saving, commentaries and user notes, automatic reference linking, split screen for version comparisons, etc.). That was before I heard about Pandora. When I finally get my Pandy (now in production) it will become my primary portable device, so the plan will change to write the app on it instead. But it won't be soon, as I have some time-critical projects going on, and have no idea when I have some spare time to start this.

Why writing instead of porting? Because I haven't found any app on PPC that would suit my needs, and one that is bearable (Olive Tree) has closed file format, so I can't convert Bible versions in my language for it. If there is a software that I would like, that can be ported to Pandora, I will try that first (if no one manages it before me).

Xiphos is available for Windows and Linux. It is a fork of the Sword project. And may of the texts are editable and the project open-source. I created a couple custom builds of the windows version and one can bundle the various text modules or have all downloadable from online. It is popular in restricted countries because of this and some make use of Tor networks to do this as well. I have ported some text from other software into it as well as out of it.

I hope that it suits your needs too. I had a Palm III and IIIx as well as a Handera 330. I then tried an HP running WM6 (yuck) which did not get used much. Then tried an itouch which now is mp3 only! The Pandora replaces my old HP200lx and Palm. I tried OliveTree for the Palm and HP-WM6 and (same yuck). I used Biblesource on the HP200 in Dos for years and a Palm version of the Sword project for those. I made a number of custom texts that went well.

So for me, Xiphos is a logical choice and in fact I have it installed on my PCLinuxOS system (dualbooted with XP). Funny, Linux has always rescued my PCs when Windows shatters it!

I debated on some others but the HP200lx set my standard. I want a full OS with a keyboard and Freedom. I found out that meant finally learning Linux.

Seems cool. Can the interface be adjusted for convenient operation on a small screen?

Back