Port Requests

I have a Cool Idea for a Port Request:

Can anyone Port the Software Mediathekview for the Pandora?

I had this running under Slackware,worked nice and

there are many many TV Shows/Documentations/Series/Movies for German Users Free to watch.

See here:

http://zdfmediathk.sourceforge.net/

Filme_1.jpg

Need Java and VLC or Mplayer ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Requesting someone port PSPdisp to OpenPandora. http://www.jjs.at/software/pspdisp.html

Using a Pandora as a controll+extra screen in games would be really fun!
There's no source available and it's a Windows program. You do realize this is not portable on Pandora?
There IS source available on the download page and I am requesting the PSP half of the software be ported to Pandora.
http://www.jjs.at/software/pspdisp.html#download

Where? it's all exe files. Where is the source??

^ It's bundled in the exe installer.. convenient..

From the quote below it looks like a good majority of the code would need to be rewritten to be useful. 

Will there be a version for Mac OS X / Linux / etc.?

Not from me. The download includes the complete source code, though. So if anyone wants to port PSPdisp, just go ahead. While all functions for acquiring the display contents and the GUI are platform specific to Windows, the data transmission is done using standard socket API and libusb, so they should be fairly portable.

^ It's bundled in the exe installer.. convenient..

From the quote below it looks like a good majority of the code would need to be rewritten to be useful. 

Not from me. The download includes the complete source code, though. So if anyone wants to port PSPdisp, just go ahead. While all functions for acquiring the display contents and the GUI are platform specific to Windows, the data transmission is done using standard socket API and libusb, so they should be fairly portable.
Then you might as well throw this in the trash;

Your strong wording against closed-source software is pissing me off every time I read you. :/

By now every person on the planet know you're against that kind of "unfair" software.

But you know, you're not the only dev in this scene. Even if you're not willing to start wine to extract the source of this, maybe some other dev will.

Telling someone that's it's hopeless just because the source is in an installer package is just stupid. (Just a remember, most dev around put the source in the PND, which is the exact same stuff this dev have done in his exe installer. Even there I bet someone outside of this scene will probably find source in the exe more usefull than having to find a way to extract a PND...)

Could you just quit doing this ? It's useless, agressive and ultimatly increasing the point of view that freesoftware activist are just a bunch of ass****e zealots. Beside that "win" you also piss off the others devs from time to time.

I think there's some misunderstanding here: ekianjo didn't say "you might as well throw this in the trash" because it is closed-source (which it isn't) or because the source is "hidden" in an installer. He said that because a significant chunk of the code is platform-specific to Windows, which means that porting it requires basically a complete re-write.

It is not clear to me what the aim of the original port request was: does he want to replace the PSP end by a Pandora, or the Windows end (or both) ? Either is most likely going to require a re-write, but if it's only the PSP end, then it may not be that hard to do - essentially that part is just a "dumb terminal" application that has to display a stream of compressed frames and forward any inputs it receives.

Your strong wording against closed-source software is pissing me off every time I read you. :/

By now every person on the planet know you're against that kind of "unfair" software.
First this is not closed source software. 

Second, I am certainly not against closed source software. I prefer free software when it's available but I use closed-sourced ones on a daily basis when I do not have any other choice. My comment was only in the context of the port. You cannot port something that is closed source. Don't mistake me with RMS. 

Could you just quit doing this ? It's useless, agressive and ultimatly increasing the point of view that freesoftware activist are just a bunch of ass****e zealots. Beside that "win" you also piss off the others devs from time to time.
Where was I being agressive? Did I attack anyone ? 

Even _wb_ clearly understood what I meant : obviously I said because you need a complete rewrite of the application if there are some windows-specific parts in it. 

You just misunderstood what I was saying. 

But you know, you're not the only dev in this scene. Even if you're not willing to start wine to extract the source of this, maybe some other dev will.
Yeah, I am certainly not going to use Wine to get the source, because it's such a stupid way to package the source in the first place. If any other dev wants to spend time on this software, well be my guest. I'm certainly not the only developer/porter around. And I never pretended I was. But that does not prevent me from voicing out my opinion.

It is not clear to me what the aim of the original port request was
I find this answer realy clear imho :
There IS source available on the download page and I am requesting the PSP half of the software be ported to Pandora.

Where was I being agressive? Did I attack anyone ?
This is strong language. I would say realy strong language.A not strong language reply would have been something along the line of "Well a port from PSP is rather hard and not doable by many. If I were you, I wouldn't count on it. (If wb interpretation of your word's right)

But that does not prevent me from voicing out my opinion.
Sure. but I would gladly appreciate that you quit using that kind of strong language.Beside meaning that the software is just a garbage, saying "throw this in the trash", also dictate that nobody will ever attempt it. At this stage it's not an opinion it's your will that's you're trying to force on us as fact...

EDIT: I'm sure you'll love that I comment all your new port thrad with a "you might as well throw this in the trash"...

It is not clear to me what the aim of the original port request was
I find this answer realy clear imho :

Did you notice the emphasis in red and bold before my "throw it in the trash answer" ?

Not from me. The download includes the complete source code, though. So if anyone wants to port PSPdisp, just go ahead. While all functions for acquiring the display contents and the GUI are platform specific to Windows, the data transmission is done using standard socket API and libusb, so they should be fairly portable.
Did you expect rather something like that to remove the ambiguity ? :)

>>> Platform specific to Windows <<<

It was fairly obvious and I'm pretty sure you did not understand the context well before commenting back. You just saw "trash" and thought this was strong language and did not see what I was referring to, and you went to accuse me of attacking close-sourced programs.

Ask 10 people around and see how many would understand it your way. 

If "trash" is strong word by the way, I wonder what you think of "a*******e". You are the one using swear words in this thread. Not me. Trash is very common word. And I did not call someone "trash" I referred to throwing the software in the trash, again, jsut to make sure you get things right.

Anyway, issue closed from my side. I won't add anything more on this. Feel free to interpret my words the way you like.

So you're using strong language without even reading the request correctly : the request is about the PSP part of the program, not the Windows part which I bet the requestor is fairly happy with). Even better.

BTW: given the IRC feedback, many agree with me...

Will sebt3 admit he read ME wrong by accusing me of attacking closed source software? :)
You made it rather clear in this very thread that your issue here is that it's windows software, thuss a software in a close-source environnement (that large red thing a few posts before mine should be rather clear). So I wont admit something wrong.Beside, I can find a ton of posts here where you are extremly vocal against close-source ecoystem and software.

Guys - kiss and make up now...

I agree - just because something has platform specific code does not mean it's impossible to port - it requires more work but not justification for throwing it in the trash.

I also think Ekianjo didn't have the intent that Sebt3 thinks with that statement - it merely exposes that he doesn't think the porting is worth the effort.

While I agree with this I don't agree you should have made that comment on the Dgen thread.

So can we quit any agendas and get along now?

Guys - kiss and make up now...

I agree - just because something has platform specific code does not mean it's impossible to port - it requires more work but not justification for throwing it in the trash.

I also think Ekianjo didn't have the intent that Sebt3 thinks with that statement - it merely exposes that he doesn't think the porting is worth the effort.

While I agree with this I don't agree you should have made that comment on the Dgen thread.

So can we quit any agendas and get along now?
They've sorted this out by IRC IMHO.

Again, I was not requesting for the Windows half of the program to be ported, but the half that runs on the PSP. I've seen a couple of emulators that were orginally written for the PSP ported to the OpenPandora, so I thought it might not be too hard?

I can upload the source for the PSP program if someone wants to take a look without using the installer.

It would be quite a task to port PSPDisp from the PSP as there's a lot of Sony / PSP specific kernel hooks &commands that will have to be looked at, interpreted, rewritten for some other strange library and then reimplemented. I would guess 90% of the codebase would have to be rewritten. (Try it in PPSSPP see if it works though :D ) So I don't think anyone would be willing to do this.

Back