Port request: mz800em

Tried it and indeed pretty slow and unplayable with sound, without sound it is a lot better and playable. Still not as good as gmz800em though but you already warned me about that. It has some more options, so could still be useful. And it is a technical achievement that can be used for more Windows software that is not very demanding I guess.

Is it a lot of work to PND gmz800em? If not I would appreciate a PND of gmz800em too (I think I need a PND to be able to use it with pandafe, that is now my UI). 

Whatever you decide to do next, I think you already (more than) deserved the GP2X. So a big thanks for all the hard work and PM me your details and I will send it to you. 
For info, I have experimented a bit more with wine. I found a couple of bottleneck (using the "perf" tools, makes life easier to find ressource hog), and I already have a better version.

I get 60% speed with sound (using 48Khz sample rate, because you get no ressample that way), and 80% without sound (roughly). I'll try to get a few more fps, add maybe some more emu from the Takeda collection before repackaging.

I'm also want to separate the Wine RunTIme and the PND that use it. Not an easy task for now...

...This has confused me somewhat. :blink:

I have the gmz800.bin bios in roms folder for both the mz700 and mz800 emulators. All roms are zipped format and are mz700 . When opening either emulator, firstly I see Open MZ 700 list of roms, then I highlight that rom and OK it.Secondly,, I have the monitor screen scaled up but empty blue color.

Is there a command I need to input to run these games? Pressing reset/F11 does nothing .

I have the one suggested bios with my roms in the same folder then.. roms.txt separately all in appdata folder of course. So it's arrranged appdata> gmz700em or gmz800em >roms and rom .txt

I have read these threads and though helpful I must be missing a tad of info.??

Could not find any other doc. in menu.

Last edited:
...This has confused me somewhat.

I have the gmz800.bin in roms folder for both the mz700 and mz800 emulators. All roms are zipped format and are mz700 . When opening the emulator, firstly I see Open MZ 700 list of roms, then I highlight that rom and ok it.Secondly,, I have the monitor screen scaled up but empty blue color.

Is there a command I need to input to run these games? Pressing reset/F11 does nothing .

Those emus don't support zipped rom format, you have to unzip first.

...This has confused me somewhat.

I have the gmz800.bin in roms folder for both the mz700 and mz800 emulators. All roms are zipped format and are mz700 . When opening the emulator, firstly I see Open MZ 700 list of roms, then I highlight that rom and ok it.Secondly,, I have the monitor screen scaled up but empty blue color.

Those emus don't support zipped rom format, you have to unzip first.
I did  unzip now from  .zip > .mzf format but no good still  :(

Must they be .bin? like bios?

mz800.bin was the suggested bios prior to opening emulator ...it is 33kb though and the only one I could find. I could not open the emulator without it ..of course.. So I thought it must be the proper version.??

Last edited:
I hope I am missing a very small piece of the puzzle here  :huh:   ;) ??

33kb, no that not the good rom. the "Sharp MZ-800 BIOS" is 16kb exactely (it is in fact 3 part, one 8kb for mz800 specifics, one 4kb with bios from mz700, and the character romset of 4kb IIRC).

33kb, no that not the good rom. the "Sharp MZ-800 BIOS" is 16kb exactely (it is in fact 3 part, one 8kb for mz800 specifics, one 4kb with bios from mz700, and the character romset of 4kb IIRC).
Hmmmm......  IPL is looking for a program............................................. :(

Sorry to bother..

I selected a game unzipped in .mzf format. the monitor appears = FD :Not master

Please push key

F : Floppy disk [no response]

C: Cassette tape [iPL is looking for a program].....does it take a long time to boot?

M : Monitor [no response]

Last edited:
I think the problem is that I need Pandafe for this emulator to function.

Thanks for trying to help me ptitSeb but I think I will pass on this baby. :unsure:   :p

Last edited:
Well, not all games disk functions. For gmz800em, you can try Flappy.mzf. It should start automaticaly. If IPL is looking for something, that means something has gone wrong.

Well after around 4 hours tinkering with this emulator I feel like CURLY of the Three Stooges. :eek:   :blink:   :wacko:

Honestly and with all due respect to ptitSeb I just don't feel this emulator is worth the trouble for me just to play maybe one game named Flappy. 

Seems like a lot for very little here. If I am wrong then I do apologize. This of course is just my humble opinion that nobody really asked for  :mellow:   :(

With that said I did notice other versions of Flappy on the NES and Gameboy so once again Nintendo wins here  :p

Last edited:
Yes, this system (Sharp MZ800) is not well spread, and the emulator itself is a bit crude. Nothing out of the ordinary in this system (it's a typical 8bit system, with a relatively high res display, but no special graphic or sound capabilities), unless you grow with it and like to revive some memories with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh bummer :( I was hoping it would be an easy port.
Well hopefully it works out anyway. Thanks for giving it a try.

I got something, but it's super slow, and SDL2 (using FrameBuffer output) and GTK are fighting for the display, making it not really useable :( Not sure I can do something about that.

Too bad, would have been nice to have a more solid Sharp MZ emulator. Any chance this will work on a Pyra? Or is the slowness due to something else? You would expect emulating a Z80 computer should not need so much power.

The sound code was wrong for Linux. I have redone it. Now it sounds good. But the emu use SDL2, and the constant texture uploading seems to be killing it. Not sure I can improve anything more :( (I get 50% speed on Flappy now)

Last edited:
Back