Pocketsnes V7.0

equlizer said:
Add the ability to change the damn buton config!!!!!!!!!!!! Please? :)

Dude it's right there in the menu. "Swap buttons". Now it's just like the SNES layout.

On another note, I have to say I am *very* excited to see there is still work being done on the SNES emulator for the Wiz and I am really thankful to the author(s) for not abandoning it. I bought the Wiz for the sole reason of SNES emulation. The PSP has a horrible screen that blurs so much it's unplayable for SNES games. The Wiz has the perfect screen size/resolution not to mention a gorgeous screen with ZERO blur and I am really worried it might be my only choice for perfect SNES emulation on the go.

The reason I am "worried" is because of the horizontal tearing. I am in no way shape or form complaining, but it really makes most games unplayable. I don't even care about side scrollers; I just tried Illusion of Gaia and even the tearing was prevalent in that. I would gladly start up some sort of donation to the emulator programmers if they got rid of the tearing issue. The Sega MegaDrive/Genesis emulator is literally flawless. Yes I know the SNES is a much more complex system but surely the tearing can be fixed?

Should I basically give up hope that the Wiz will ever be able to handle, say FF3/6 with good sound, no tearing, and full frames with transparencies on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaephen said:
Dran said:
I have heard SS are included in the emu, however while playing whatever game - how the heck do I save? I don't know how to even get back to the launcher without doing a hard reset. 0.o
Push both volume buttons at the same time. You can manage everything from there including save states ;) .

Is there a way to change the way to get to the menu. My - volume button is broken

can't get pocketsnes to work on my brand new 1.2.6 wiz from thinkgeek. tried 6.5 and 7.1 both load directly into a black screen and i have to power down the wiz to get out of it. i think some other people are having similar issues. I bought this thing solely for genesis/snes emulation so i'm getting pretty worked up right now. anyone have any ideas?

Same here, SeeThruHead. I really was looking forward to playing Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, Super Castlevania, and many others.

Have you guys tried downgrading your firmware? That's the only thing I can suggest short of sending Bitrider a message and asking him about compatability issues. Here's the previous firmware in case you want to give it a try. http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,64,316

If you do downgrade only use non hc cards to do it. I use a 1gb Sandisk, for example, just to upgrade firmwares. Search the boards about upgrading as there have been some stories of people bricking there units, so do this only if you feel safe enough. If everything works on 1.2.1 maybe try upgrading using the file in the archive. That's here, http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,488

Actually, check the revision # of the firmware on your units with the 1.2.6 firmware in the archive. Maybe your units shipped with some different version for some reason. If that's the case, then just go straight to the 1.2.6 link I gave you.

EDIT
I just noticed there was another thread about this where this was all talked about. My advise would be to contact GamePark and ThinkGeek and report these issues. GamePark has facebook pages for the Caanoo and Wiz so leave comments there, you can also leave messages on FunGP to notify them.

I was debating on downgrading my firmware but I've read where SNES is working on people's units who have upgraded to the latest firmware, so I instead just reinstalled it but nothing changed. I've sent ThinkGeek a message and posted on GP's facebook page, but haven't heard back from either.

I might downgrade the firmware for the heck of it, just for the sake of trouble shooting at least.

Thanks for the reply!

one thing ... anyone ever tried to get a log file out of this thing? maybe there's just a library missing in the newest firmware that pocketsnes depends on and does not deliver.

i'm going to explain what you have to do ...

1) rename pocketsnes_wiz_fast.gpe to pocketsnes_wiz_fast_gpe
2) create a new file called pocketsnes_wiz_fast.gpe with your favourite text editor using the following contents:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
./pocketsnes_wiz_fast_gpe > ./log.txt 2>&1
sync
cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
please keep in mind that you need to use UNIX LINE ENDINGS that it runs on the wiz.
3) start this script - if everything runs as expected, you should get kicked back to the gp2x default menu but now having a log.txt

having this log.txt , just paste the contents here and we'll see what we can do :)

well... there isn't a ton of info

here's the content of my log.txt2 file that was generated
Code:
Loading global menu options
Failed to load global options, so using defaults
Loading default rom directory
Failed to default rom dir, so using current dir

i have exactly the same logfile and it is repeating many times. nothing else happens.
same problem with 1.2.6

flashed two times to be sure. my wiz is 1 month old.

Can anybody help please?

I really want to thank for this update. I don't have any problems so far and I can use almost every game I want. May be the compatibility problems is with the batch of the Wiz like the Thinkgeek one?

And remember that there is the "compatible" and "fast" executables, and the speed hacks. Some games simply won't work with "fast" or the speed hacks.
The volume buttons access was brilliant as an idea, because you don't need to use any other button that may mess with your gameplay, but the problem is the softness of the volume buttons.

If it's possible the combination for the menu access should be an option that you can change. Something like "Left + Select" may work without interfere with any game, I think, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for this great emu!!!

Sorry for my english. I'm using this "guest account" because I'm not a regular user.

Cheers!

downgrade to 1.2.1 doesnt help. tried 6.5 and the new version...same problem. freeze in the menu or even before (=blackscreen)

So if i start GINGE at first i can run PocketSnes without error/freeze. But it sucks to start everytime both...

That is strange...does someboy know how to repair that?

I do run Fw 1.2.6 and do not have a problem with both PocketSNES 7.0.0 & 7.1.0.

Is there the remote possibility that the settings directory vanished / sd-card gotten unwritable ? How about placing PocketSNES on NAND ? If the problem persists get a network shell open and run it via ssh. Alternatively use a wrapping shell script and redirect output to a logfile. Check the logfile for clues.

StarG said:
I do run Fw 1.2.6 and do not have a problem with both PocketSNES 7.0.0 & 7.1.0.

Is there the remote possibility that the settings directory vanished / sd-card gotten unwritable ? How about placing PocketSNES on NAND ? If the problem persists get a network shell open and run it via ssh. Alternatively use a wrapping shell script and redirect output to a logfile. Check the logfile for clues.
Did you buy your Wiz from ThinkGeek after they came back at $99.99? That seems to be the common element. People who bought their Wiz during the first run and upgraded to 1.2.6 do not seem to have the problem. People who bought the reintroduced cheaper Wiz at ThinkGeek can't get PocketSNES to run without going through Ginge.

Just got one of the $99 ThinkGeek ones. If I try launching PocketSNES v7.1.0 from INI files, the compat version works but the fast version doesn't (I just get a black screen and have to power cycle my Wiz). If I instead try running from the Launcher tool of the Wiz's main menu, both versions start up fine. I wonder if this may be what other people are experiencing.

I noticed that both versions get a solid 60FPS most of the time, but both seem to freeze up a lot (requiring that I power cycle my Wiz) even at the default 533MHz CPU speed.

I tried running both with GINGE and it improves stability but cuts framerate to 30-45fps much of the time :(

I thought the latest version's readme explained that the fast and compatible builds are pretty much one and the same, so you're not missing out speedwise using the compatible version.

I have a problem with Zedla - A link to the past, everything works fine but the 3D map (http://img.over-blog.com/500x373/3/16/04/47/test/zelda-Snes/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past-wii-021.jpg) there are small black horizontal lines everywhere on it. Do someone know how to fix it please?

I've just got a replacement Wiz from Thinkgeek this week, and it's running Pocketsnes just fine - 7.1.0 version, 1.2.6 firmware, compatible version run through .ini launcher.

So it's possibly a bad batch?

Sorry, I meant it's a backup for my current Wiz, not that I had a problematic machine from Thinkgeek. I should have worded that better.

Back