Pocketsnes Final Fantasy Iii Question...

Rock004

Still Fresh
Hey all,

I've been able to find very little regarding this issue but others have experienced it as well. Its an issue with the way PocketSNES 6.5.0 plays music in Final Fantasy 3. Its very odd. The music will fade in and out of key (a good example is the fanfare music after winning a battle). I've messed with every setting available in the emulator but cannot manage to correct this. At this point I believe the issue lies in the way the PocketSNES emulates sound. It's a shame too because everything else about FF3 on this emulator is practically spot on and I pretty much bought the Wiz to be able to play this game on the go. Does anyone have any ideas or do you think I'll have to wait for an update to Pocketsnes?

or

If you have not experienced this while playing FF3 what version of PocketSNES are you using? Thanks everyone!

I have also experienced this issue with FF 6 and a couple other games. The Dragon Quest 1&2 reprise does this as well. It just has to be how the sound core is being implemented for the Wiz/GP2X. The SNE9X on windows or the Wii does not have this issue. So it has to deal with the code in the sound core with the Wiz version. Not sure if it will be updated or if that really is the main issue. HeadoverHeals that maintains that release now is (last I heard) working on FBA2X for the Wiz. I wish I had more I could tell ya.

I appreciate the response, geise69. I hope someone picks it up, even if just for the purpose of getting this issue fixed for the sake of the few classics it affects. I guess I'll continue to wait for an update. I'd put a donation into it if someone had the know how. HeadoverHeels has definitely done some fine work with this. Any Idea if HeadoverHeels has a home page/project page or anything?

Rock004 said:
I appreciate the response, geise69. I hope someone picks it up, even if just for the purpose of getting this issue fixed for the sake of the few classics it affects. I guess I'll continue to wait for an update. I'd put a donation into it if someone had the know how. HeadoverHeels has definitely done some fine work with this. Any Idea if HeadoverHeels has a home page/project page or anything?

I've brought this up to no avail but I keep my eye out for it. My link

Last edited by a moderator:
shikoku88henro said:
Rock004 said:

I've brought this up to no avail but I keep my eye out for it. My link
It sounds a little better if you turn Audio Performance Hack on in the advanced menu iirc. I just play the GBA port instead though.

I had tried that and didn't seem to notice any difference. I'll give it a shot again, though, and pay closer attention. I too have tried to get into the GBA version instead but quickly ran into some graphical glitches, not to mention the instrument sounds in the music were changed a bit too much for my liking. I don't know, maybe I'm just being way too picky.... I appreciate the response Duffking!

I was playing FF3 on my SNES this morning and I noticed that some of the musical notes have a vibrato, and these notes are the ones that become distorted on DrPocketSNES. It could be something to do with the frequency of the vibrato effect being too low in the sound emulation.

Yeah, Its got to be something like that. Also If I remember correctly it seems that the off-key notes are always lower than they should be, never higher... It's times like this where I wish I knew anything about programming, I'd at least pop the hood of the source code and start poking around....

Since this topic relates to the game and emulator I have my query about it, I'll just ask in here, instead of posting a new topic.

So I've been playing FF3 with PocketSNES on my Wiz since I got it last week, and thus-far, I have had no problems... Except for one, that now, has hindered me making any progress in the game whatsoever.

I first noticed this problem when trying to ride a chocobo early on, and it's the same problem I'm having now with the airship (a similar issue came up with the cart ride scene, but that didn't matter so much since that was automated).

I'm in the airship, when you first get to control it for the first time heading to Narshe. But unfortunately, as was the problem early on in the game with the chocobo, I can't control the airship. I mean, the sprite for the airship is there, but the environment is wrong. I can turn the airship, and move it up and down, but when I press the accelerate button, it doesn't move forward, the propellors on the sprite speed up to represent that it's moving... But it's not. The mark on the map to indicate where I am doesn't move either.

If anyone could at least let me know if they've had the same issue, I'd be much appreciated. A fix, mind you, would be far better. ;)

If you post a save state and the name of the ROM I could try it out. Are you using the compatible version? Are you using any of the speed hacks? I would try turning off all speed hacks and using the compatible version first.

Hah, I would've sent the save state, except, I lost my Wiz on a bus today. Sigh.

At least an excuse to try the dingoo, or preorder a pandora I guess.

Danny Burr said:
Hah, I would've sent the save state, except, I lost my Wiz on a bus today. Sigh.

At least an excuse to try the dingoo, or preorder a pandora I guess.
That sucks man. Sorry to hear that. I personally wouldn't bother with the pandora yet. Way to many delays, even now when some are shipping. I would find a used Wiz on ebay or through the forums here. That's still more than half the price of a Pandora that you'd be waiting till after next year for. Again I'm sorry to hear you lost your Wiz.

Back