Pocketsnes V7.0

zaephen

I expected to see some posts about it today but I haven't so let me ask: has anyone tried the new PocketSNES emulator v7.0? No offense to the person/people working on it but the compatibility seems worse than the 6.5 or whatever the older version was. Just curious as I haven't seen any posts about it. Am I just me doing something wrong?

Zaephen said:
I expected to see some posts about it today but I haven't so let me ask: has anyone tried the new PocketSNES emulator v7.0? No offense to the person/people working on it but the compatibility seems worse than the 6.5 or whatever the older version was. Just curious as I haven't seen any posts about it. It is just me doing something wrong?
Every game I run works fine on v7.0 if not better than v6.5. Make sure the games that don't work do not have the Audio Hack "ON" That was a big reason I had games not working when I was messing around with v6.5. Not all games can use that hack and will cause them to crash at certain points or not even start at all. Also try the compatible version as well. I have been messing with v7.0 a good deal yesterday and am quite pleased with the results. Most games I want like Actraiser, Contra III, Super Adventure Island and other run 60fps with all the mode 7 and transparencies on. I couldn't do that in the last version. So many more games are now 60 fps.

Last edited by a moderator:
geise69 said:
Zaephen said:
I expected to see some posts about it today but I haven't so let me ask: has anyone tried the new PocketSNES emulator v7.0? No offense to the person/people working on it but the compatibility seems worse than the 6.5 or whatever the older version was. Just curious as I haven't seen any posts about it. It is just me doing something wrong?
Every game I run works fine on v7.0 if not better than v6.5. Make sure the games that don't work do not have the Audio Hack "ON" That was a big reason I had games not working when I was messing around with v6.5. Not all games can use that hack and will cause them to crash at certain points or not even start at all. Also try the compatible version as well. I have been messing with v7.0 a good deal yesterday and am quite pleased with the results. Most games I want like Actraiser, Contra III, Super Adventure Island and other run 60fps with all the mode 7 and transparencies on. I couldn't do that in the last version. So many more games are now 60 fps.
I have noticed that some games run much better like Donkey Kong Country 2, Castlevania: Dracula X, etc. Some however that did work don't seems to now like Addams Family Values. I may be able to get it running if I tweak it and get the right settings. Addams family 2: Puggsly's Scavenger Hunt still runs like crap in the crystal ball level :(. I had hoped that it would run better in this version as I really like that game but it must really be a bitch to emulate and pushed the SNES hardware hard.

My wish list for PocketSNES is having the ability to create save states.

Anyone know if they've added this in the new version?

Dran said:

Unless you're talking about something I don't know, every version of PocketSNES I've used allowed you to create save states, including this new one.

Zaephen said:
Dran said:

Unless you're talking about something I don't know, every version of PocketSNES I've used allowed you to create save states, including this new one.
Maybe he's thinking of saving the SRAM? I don't think SRAM saving works, unless I'm doing something wrong. I can't even do a Manual SRAM save.

How official are these from this link?.....

http://www.gp32x.de/

Scroll down to.

Temporary download links:
Emulators: -> Download <-
Games: -> Download <-

I have heard SS are included in the emu, however while playing whatever game - how the heck do I save? I don't know how to even get back to the launcher without doing a hard reset. 0.o

Dran said:
I have heard SS are included in the emu, however while playing whatever game - how the heck do I save? I don't know how to even get back to the launcher without doing a hard reset. 0.o
Push both volume buttons at the same time. You can manage everything from there including save states ;).

I've had Terranigma crash when transitioning to the overworld and FFIII(US) crashes on the title screen.

Both of these rom images worked prior to updating.

Zaephen said:
geise69 said:
Zaephen said:
I have noticed that some games run much better like Donkey Kong Country 2, Castlevania: Dracula X, etc. Some however that did work don't seems to now like Addams Family Values. I may be able to get it running if I tweak it and get the right settings. Addams family 2: Puggsly's Scavenger Hunt still runs like crap in the crystal ball level :( . I had hoped that it would run better in this version as I really like that game but it must really be a bitch to emulate and pushed the SNES hardware hard.
Yes Addams family 2 is a bitch to emulate. Transparencies and rasters everywhere. It is a good test game as is Axelay.

i tried Pilotwings just yesterday, with hard frameskip (about 4) and transparencies OFF, at 750MHz it's playable

kyonshi said:
I've had Terranigma crash when transitioning to the overworld and FFIII(US) crashes on the title screen.

Final Fantasy III or VI works fine for me. I had it crash at the title screen as well but changed my settings, and it ran fine. However I do believe there are random crashes with games. The author of the v7.0 version mentioned there might be random crashes. I've had very few, but I do know I was playing FF3 some yesterday. Ran really really well. Still has that sound pitch issue though.

i have noticed a very nice improvement (and my great thanks go to the author) - eg in contra, it is pretty much playable at 800 mhz with transperencies ON (for the smart bomb effect).

cheers, simon

centrlink said:
i have noticed a very nice improvement (and my great thanks go to the author) - eg in contra, it is pretty much playable at 800 mhz with transperencies ON (for the smart bomb effect).

cheers, simon
Yeah Contra III runs amazingly well. It runs 60fps at 760 mhz for me on the Mode 7 stages. On stage two though I was getting miss matched colors going on, but it was silky smooth. The only time it slowed down was when I was using a shield, and at the first stage boss. A small bit of frameskip on level 3 with the aircraft that uses the search light. Other than that it's a constant 60 fps. I can under clock quite a few games now that aren't crazy mode 7 or transparent heavy.

I was glad to finally see the intro of Final Fantasy 5 finally running at 60fps with transparencies on.

I've tried everything I can think of and unless someone knows something I don't, Addams Family Values (which worked well in v6.5) is now broken :(.

Hey. What do you guys think of me doing a Pocketsnes V7.0 Compatibility list, like with the PCSX list? The games are a lot easier to test, and the only thing that really needs to be listed is the default values and what games run like at 533, 700, and 800Mhz

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Hey. What do you guys think of me doing a Pocketsnes V7.0 Compatibility list, like with the PCSX list? The games are a lot easier to test, and the only thing that really needs to be listed is the default values and what games run like at 533, 700, and 800Mhz
Sounds good to me ;). I've been getting back into developing a bit so I haven't had a chance to test much in the last few days but Zelda: Link to the Past seems worse off as well. I can't remember exactly but the game seemed to play fine from the beginning but when you left the starting house, crashed with sound hack off? I think. If you turn the sound hack on... I think something else was wrong. I'll have to give it another go when I get time.
I would like to see a good compatibility list though.

geise69 said:
kyonshi said:

Final Fantasy III or VI works fine for me. I had it crash at the title screen as well but changed my settings, and it ran fine. However I do believe there are random crashes with games. The author of the v7.0 version mentioned there might be random crashes. I've had very few, but I do know I was playing FF3 some yesterday. Ran really really well. Still has that sound pitch issue though.

FF3/FF6 still runs like a turd in terms of music messes up and there are overlay issues with the graphics. Was hoping 7.0 would fix it but I guess that game is just too advanced or something.

Back