Pocket Pc Vs Gp32

CrazyDesi

Basically I am thinking of getting one or the other. Lets say as long as the price stays under 300 its ok. So what do you guys think is a better buy?

Do you wanna play games?

If so, go for the GP32. Only because it's impossible to find a PocketPC with decent gaming controls. Also, because the GP32 has no OS to speak of, emulators are really optimum. I think you would find that emus on the GP32 run at least as fast as those on the 400Mhz range of PPC's. Plus they are a lot cheaper. Save yourself some money to put towards the PSP ;)

Yah that is my main problem with the Pocket PCs. They all have the dpad in the middle and the 2 buttons on each side, but then again the GP32 only has 2 buttons also. I think battery life is really what is setting the GP32 ahead of the Pocket PCS for me so far, but Pocket Pcs generally do have more emulators.

The GP32 has 4 buttons (It's got shoulder buttons). Oh, And it's also got select and start.

I have Pocket Pc, and I would have to disagree about their being more emulators. Some of the best ones are not free and in general, I find there to be a lot more faffing around to get them working. With GP32 it's all gameplay. :)

How about a Zodiac? It has all the advantages of a Pocket PC, but the hardware is designed for gaming. It might be a little more expensive, but you're getting the best of both worlds.

I'd still go for a GP32, though. I've never used a Pocket PC that's felt halfway comfortable to hold. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the most important quality in a handheld is the design of the hardware. It doesn't matter how good the games are if you get cramp every time you play them.

Ya'll dig?

Daz_Genetic posted on Apr 27 2004 at 08:49 PM said:
The GP32 has 4 buttons (It's got shoulder buttons). Oh, And it's also got select and start.

I have Pocket Pc, and I would have to disagree about their being more emulators. Some of the best ones are not free and in general, I find there to be a lot more faffing around to get them working. With GP32 it's all gameplay. :)
I am aware there are 4 buttons if you include the shoulder buttons, but I am wondering if the buttons to the left of the dpad on a pocket pc are able to make up for the shoulder buttons?

There again might not be as many emulators, but the ones they have are more compatible then the GP32s and the memory cards are large enough to fit more videos on there.

As for the Zodiac, I might get it but the community there is full of whiners and people that pay for emulators. I understand coding is very difficult as I code much myself too, but there are somethings that are wrong to pay for.

A good example is this. Whether they wish to admit it or not Kyle ripped them off and I doubt we will ever see GBA emulation on the Zodiac anytime soon.

I like the open source like communities such as this and the Dreamcast.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pocket pc has some really kick ass emulators, but c'mon, If you are actually planning to *play* the emulators, the GP32 is the best choice right now. No matter how much you convince yourself, you are not going to be able to play anything with a faster pace than sim city with a pocket pc button layout.

Also, if my current plan comes together, the lack of buttons on the GP32 will not matter so much anyway.

Pocket pc's are rubbish for playing games on, it will be wasted, money.

I have a pocket pc (IPAQ) and gp32 the pocket pc is far more powerful and costs more than twice as much (400quid although i didn't buy it, work did :p)...what do i use it for...hmm well occasionally notepad and task list ( an i mean that is very occassionaly ;) )... even though i have the likes of mame, atari st, nes etc.. on it, to be quite honest anything that requires a joystick is both painful uncomfortable experience to play with, so i just don't bother.

Plus the emus on gp32 are a lot easier to set up and run... and one version works with all gp32's :)

CrazyDesi posted on Apr 27 2004 at 09:25 PM said:
A good example is this. Whether they wish to admit it or not Kyle ripped them off and I doubt we will ever see GBA emulation on the Zodiac anytime soon.

I like the open source like communities such as this and the Dreamcast.
omg! that's scandalous, looks like they're selling an unfinished product, promising GBA emulation "in a few days"!!!

I've not dipped into the zodiac community at all but that is just wrong...

EDIT: Forgot to tell you to buy a GP32 - if you want games, this is the royale-with-cheese

Last edited by a moderator:
gp32 has a TON of emulators
and we seem to get more or atleast an upgrade every few weeks
deffenently go for the gp32
i got mine and i love it

edit: frolik have you seen pulp fiction

Say what again, motherfucker. I dare you. I double dare you motherfucker!

...Anyways

I find my PocketPC to be delicious in gaming ability, although I mainly use it as a spy microphone to record amusing things and a TI-92 emulator so that I can do algebraic calculus and cheat at maths tests. The MyPal has four buttons and central d-pad, but also another button on the top of the unit, and I managed to play Sonic 3 the other day with relative ease (of course, you only need two buttons... :) )

Yes I planned to get the Asus if I was gonna get Pocket Pc.

So what you are saying is there is a shoulder like button on the Asus? That could change alot of things as the main problem was dashing and stuff in various platform games(ex: Megaman X).

I actually was considering getting a pocket pc (400 mhz IPAQ) before the GP32 because I wanted emulation, but then I released that spending all that money for a device for which I would only use it's alternate features would be a waste of money (Controls weren't an issue because I could buy one of those foldable keyboards).

Yah but using a foldable keyboard is pretty weird on a trip. Right now I'm leaning towards the GP32.

Well, I planned on mainly using it at home and on car trips.

EDIT: BTW, you should wait till the Euro launch and get the BLU.

If you're intogaming, the gamepark is your best bet!
And even if the Name dosn't tell much about the produkt, you can be sure that you'll get what it says. It just palys tons and tons and tons of games. Really, once you have one, you can't stop playing. :) I have a Flu, and it is soo nice. Watching South Park episodes on the way home from school, listening to mp3s and of course the games :)

Back