Pandora PNDManager

PND is not present in /pandora/apps but data is available in appdata.

No desktop entry created for the programs in /usr/share/applications

Example of programs that are currently affected - stepmania and TUMIKI Fighters

Last edited by a moderator:
i had this problem, too. i have reflashed my pandora, tried another sd card, but still there were menu items missing. in the end i renamed the pandora menu desktop and apps folder and created new ones. then rebooted and at least the default menu showed up again correctly. and now i start copying the pnds to the newly generated folders and see when the corruption starts again... but well it's only a bad pnd either from sd corruption or bad download and so is probably yours too.

If the pnd starts from pndmanager, it's mostly likely not corrupt. If the pnd's don't appear at menu it's mostly likely the fault of pnd discovery daemon, or something similar (pnd not conforming to standard etc). 

There has been cases where the discovery daemon fails to find new pnds until you reinsert the SD card.

Okay guys, thanks for the help. I did some more testing.

Removed two programs and used PND manager to install them on my SD card in slot 2 instead of 1. After installing the programs weren't added to minimenu but the PND's were present in apps.

Reinserted the SD card in slot 2 - probably the deamon issue cloudef was referring to - and they appeared.

I think I will check SD card 1 for errors, that seems like the most probable cause. 

mkdir: cannot create directory `interfaces/CustomPNDManager': Permission denied

I hate to bother you again, but I really need an anwer. Where does PNDManager wants to create a directory? The only "interfaces" I have are under /etc/network and /usr/lib/directfb-1.4.0

OK, so I moved PNDManager to FAT32 partition, so it has no excuses regarding permissions. However, it bugs in the same way: the only locally installed PND I see is PNDManager itself. None of my apps on EXT3 partition are detected, althogh these apps work fine.

Someone else in IRC (Zor_?) was having the same issue. It was a permissions issue in his case (don't remember what exactly), and I'm quite certain it is for you as well. I'm guessing the mkdir error isn't printing to anymore now that PNDManager is on FAT partition? Libpndman (the package management backend PNDManager uses) creates an appdata dir on each of your SD partitions. Probably creating one or more of these fails. Make sure PNDManager can write to the pandora directory and its subdirectories on your ext3 partitions.

OK, so I changed all permissions to 777:

>cd EXT3
>ls -l
total 16
drwxrwxrwx 6 user user 1024 Oct 12 02:52 pandora

>cd pandora
>ls -l
total 9
drwxrwxrwx 131 user user 3072 Oct 12 03:54 appdata
drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 1024 Oct 12 03:46 apps
drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 1024 Oct 11 03:59 desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 4096 Oct 12 02:52 menu

>cd appdata
>ls -l
total 129
drwxr-xr-x 4 user user 1024 Oct 8 22:11 kblayout
drwxrwxrwx 2 user user 1024 Oct 12 03:54 libpndman
drwxr-xr-x 5 user user 1024 Sep 22 21:19 libreoffice

but still no luck. What kind of extra permissions am I missing?

libpndman should print out permission issues to pndout file. Your last pndout file that I looked at, dint look that fruitful (kind of strange actually with the kernel module stuff and all).

Could you give me output of milky -Pvvvv (milkyhelper), for example?

Here you go:

Code:
openpandora:/mnt/utmp/milkyhelper$ ./milky -Pvvvv

::CRAWL

LANG: en_US
Root: /media/EXT3

Repositories:
libpndman repository
http://repo.openpandora.org/client/masterlist?com=true&bzip=true

-!- 0 Packages were succesfully crawled.
@FILE database.c           @LINE  146  >> _pndman_db_commit_local
-!- writing to /media/EXT3/pandora/appdata/libpndman/local.db
@FILE json.c               @LINE  842  >> _pndman_json_commit
JSON write took 0.00 seconds
@FILE database.c           @LINE  205  >> _pndman_db_commit
-!- writing to /media/EXT3/pandora/appdata/libpndman/repo.db
@FILE json.c               @LINE  842  >> _pndman_json_commit
JSON write took 0.00 seconds
@FILE database.c           @LINE  226  >> _pndman_db_commit
Database commit took 0.00 seconds
openpandora:/mnt/utmp/milkyhelper$

According to that output it's working normally?

Is your PND's stored where?

@dimag0g

Not under any subdirectories? Like apps, menu or desktop? 

libpndman only crawls <your_sd_card>/pandora/{apps,desktop,menu}

I heard recently in IRC, that if none of those 3 directories exist, the PND daemon goes into some sort of fallback mode and tries to find pnds from /pandora or sd card root.

dimag0g: Your situation is unique and puzzling. Cloudef is just covering all angles, even improbable and obvious. Finding out what is wrong like this is quite difficult. Please remain calm :)

To check the permissions angle, I think getting the full tree listing from the sd card paritions with permission information could potentially be enlightening. You can get one to a file with

ls -lahR /media/sdcard > sdcard.txt

Replace "sdcard" with your sd card partition names and upload the resulting files for to pastie or PM them to me or Cloudef or however you wish. Feel free to remove any information from the listings you might not wish to share. It is important to get this information for all the SD card partitions to see if any of them have anything that could cause this.

I do hope we get this sorted out.

Anyone else having problems with programs not being removed from the queue? Sometimes downloads seem to finish (download bar is full, or in some cases even overflowing to 120%), but they are not removed from the queue and they are still listed as upgradable. When I restart PNDManager, they are listed as upgradable and again and downloads start from zero.Couldn't see anything suspicious in the log file ...

I had the issues and I think the problem is the syncing.  Make sure you wait for it to finish syncing with the repo before trying to download or upgrade.

I had the issues and I think the problem is the syncing.  Make sure you wait for it to finish syncing with the repo before trying to download or upgrade.
I'll try this next time (even though I am almost sure that I always wait for the sync to complete).

I hardly think the unfinished sync is the issue here. With new versions, sync only takes a few seconds to complete.

Danielm, have you noticed if this problem appeared with the latest version, or even before? It might help if you confirm which version is the origin of the bug by running a couple of archived versions from the repo. Also, you should check if the bug is reproducible by removing appdata/pndmanager, appdata/libpndman and /mnt/utmp/pndmanager (you might want to back up your settings), then running it again.

Back