Please Stop Uploading Of Beta Software To Archive

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
This is the second time this has happened and I would like for it to stop.
If something is in the beta testing section theres a reason I put it there. Once I feel the software has progressed enough, I will upload it to the archives.
Until then please wait, if it continues I can just stop putting up beta versions all together and/or make any beta testing closed to the public.

can't you put an authorization needed first on the uploading?
No as long as you have an account anyone can upload any new files they want. Any files that are updated ED has to approve manually.
The archives do not serve well for beta testing because of the time delay it might take ED to approve.

So now some users might have an older version, while the real cutting edge version is in my beta testing thread. So now there could be new threads about things not working and what not based on using a version that should no longer be used.
Also because of the time length of the approval it doesn't make sense to quickly make test versions for upload. It makes more sense to use my personal upload space. If someone wants to run it that badly they can get it there just as easily.
I wanted to get sound working better before it was uploaded. (I wonder if we will get threads about how the sound is noisy)

I mean does anyone really think I would forget to upload something if I wanted it up there?

Last edited by a moderator:
can't you put an authorization needed first on the uploading?
No as long as you have an account anyone can upload any new files they want. Any files that are updated ED has to approve manually.
The archives do not serve well for beta testing because of the time delay it might take ED to approve.
So now some users might have an older version, while the real cutting edge version is in my beta testing thread. So now there could be new threads about things not working and what not based on using a version that should no longer be used.
Also because of the time length of the approval it doesn't make sense to quickly make test versions for upload. It makes more sense to use my personal upload space. If someone wants to run it that badly they can get it there just as easily.
I wanted to get sound working better before it was uploaded. (I wonder if we will get threads about how the sound is noisy)

I mean does anyone really think I would forget to upload something if I wanted it up there?

With Psx It was my fault, because I asked for it to be uploaded, as I cannot Download from the forums.

With Psx It was my fault, because I asked for it to be uploaded, as I cannot Download from the forums.
Can you explain that better? The beta files are not on forums, but on some drive space I can ftp to.
You cant download anything from pickle.gp2x.de?
He refers to the PSX Beta I uploaded to the archive because the orginally link was broken.

Pickle, I upload lots of stuff to the archive but nothing from you. I know your point of view...

Can you explain that better? The beta files are not on forums, but on some drive space I can ftp to.
He refers to the PSX Beta I uploaded to the archive because the orginally link was broken.

Pickle, I upload lots of stuff to the archive but nothing from you. I know your point of view...
Yeah I just thought of that when I reread it. Its up to the author of that project. I think in that situation to the author was gone for a while and the files were not available, which I can see the need to upload.

The only things Im working on that I consider beta at the moment are gmenu2x, openjazz, lemonboy and all 3 are available to download, if they are not I want to know and I will make sure they are.
gmenu2x (is close i will admit) but needs some features added to it.
openjazz I want to fix the music bug
lemonboy I want to get the sound better, fix the overlay text, maybe add another scaler.

Yeah I just thought of that when I reread it. Its up to the author of that project. I think in that situation to the author was gone for a while and the files were not available, which I can see the need to upload.

The only things Im working on that I consider beta at the moment are gmenu2x, openjazz, lemonboy and all 3 are available to download, if they are not I want to know and I will make sure they are.
gmenu2x (is close i will admit) but needs some features added to it.
openjazz I want to fix the music bug
lemonboy I want to get the sound better, fix the overlay text, maybe add another scaler.

Sorry for being Un-clear.
I didnt know you were talking about your stuff, not in general.

Sorry for being Un-clear.
I didnt know you were talking about your stuff, not in general.
Dont worry about it ;) . I think the discussion could apply to any application like you were thinking: Just be considerate of the author and ask about the application before doing something, especially if an 'official' release hasn't been made already.

It would also be a lot easier if all games were fully working before they get uploaded, with the instructions in a text file.
It's happened a few times, I download a game that doesn't run or I have no idea where to put additional files (WADs etc.)
Cheers

I agree with this i spent days figuring how to get them to work quake,quake2,wolf3d,doom they all work now but would be great with better instructions and what files are needed

It would also be a lot easier if all games were fully working before they get uploaded, with the instructions in a text file.
It's happened a few times, I download a game that doesn't run or I have no idea where to put additional files (WADs etc.)
Sometimes the additional files are copyright and can't be distributed along with the rest of the archive, but you can sometimes download the files freely from somewhere else (with a "no redistribution" clause).

Back