Please Report Mame Gp32 1.6 Bugs !

Tiger Heli (set 1) just says "bad hw" when trying to load it... but
Tiger Heli (bootleg 1) and (bootleg 2) work just fine... not sure if this is a bug or an old encrypted ROM, just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

BobBorakovitz posted on Aug 24 2005 at 06:57 AM said:
Tiger Heli (bootleg 1) and (bootleg 2) work just fine... not sure if this is a bug or an old encrypted ROM, just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

I think this has been noted before by Franxis, but at least some versions work.

Last edited by a moderator:
rygar posted on Aug 24 2005 at 01:34 AM said:
thegrimreaper posted on Aug 23 2005 at 09:54 PM said:
fragglerok posted on Aug 23 2005 at 08:42 PM said:
gradius graphics go back to front with new core, works ok with old core though
Yup, there are quite a few that work like that, so you have to Save the old core as your preferred option. But don't use the old core for all games or you'll miss out on the speed improvements of the new core.
Does 'Save the old core as your preferred option' just mean use version 1.5 instead of 1.6? :blink:

I mean select the options "Use Old Gfx Core" and "Save Config" (so it remembers your options) for that particular game. This will run that game with the older graphics core (from version 1.3 I think) which is needed for a small number of games. Nearly everything runs better with the "New Gfx Core" option though, so use that where possible.

The sound in Galaxian is now clipped when you destroy alien ships. This is a new problem in version 1.6 and has not been a problem prior to 1.6.

The music in Frogger plays too quickly. This is still a problem in 1.6 but has been a problem since version 1.2.

BobBorakovitz posted on Aug 24 2005 at 07:57 AM said:

It's because that game has a copy protection which isn't emulated in MAME 0.34. The bootleg had the protection removed ;)

Last edited:
thegrimreaper posted on Aug 24 2005 at 08:19 AM said:
rygar posted on Aug 24 2005 at 01:34 AM said:
thegrimreaper posted on Aug 23 2005 at 09:54 PM said:
fragglerok posted on Aug 23 2005 at 08:42 PM said:
gradius graphics go back to front with new core, works ok with old core though
Yup, there are quite a few that work like that, so you have to Save the old core as your preferred option. But don't use the old core for all games or you'll miss out on the speed improvements of the new core.
Does 'Save the old core as your preferred option' just mean use version 1.5 instead of 1.6? :blink:

I mean select the options "Use Old Gfx Core" and "Save Config" (so it remembers your options) for that particular game. This will run that game with the older graphics core (from version 1.3 I think) which is needed for a small number of games. Nearly everything runs better with the "New Gfx Core" option though, so use that where possible.

Oh dear! Now I'm confused? I am definatly running version 1.6 but at no point does it give me the option to select "Use Old Gfx Core". I can save my config if I alter the clock speed or sound options etc but that's it.
My available options are:-

Selected Game:
Gradius

To Change:
Joystick L/R: 133MHz
Press Start: Sound ON
Press Select: NoDbl+Under
Press R Button: Frame-Skip<=2
Press L Button: No Save

Press A to confirm, B to go back.

Please tell me there's another option screen apart from the initial game select screen or I think I must be going MAD!!!!!!

P.s. Great work on the emu so far - It's so liberating playing Rygar at 30,000Ft. :D

rygar posted on Aug 25 2005 at 12:20 AM said:
Oh dear! Now I'm confused? I am definatly running version 1.6 but at no point does it give me the option to select "Use Old Gfx Core". I can save my config if I alter the clock speed or sound options etc but that's it.

Selected Game:
Gradius

To Change:
Joystick L/R: 133MHz
Press Start: Sound ON
Press Select: NoDbl+Under
Press R Button: Frame-Skip<=2
Press L Button: No Save

Please tell me there's another option screen apart from the initial game select screen or I think I must be going MAD!!!!!!

P.s. Great work on the emu so far - It's so liberating playing Rygar at 30,000Ft. :D
NOTE: Excuse me if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs here, but I don't know what level of PC knowledge you have....

Thanks for the "screen shot" of your options page. That tells me that you're definitely not running 1.6 (there are more options in that version). It looks like you've installed 1.6 incorrectly.

There are many ways to install software on an SMC card and I could help you out if you could give me a list of what files you've got where. I could just say "remove your current installation", but we can't be sure that you'll have done it correctly.

1st question, do you have an SMC card reader?
If so, then put the card in it, connect it to your pc and navigate to the root of the drive with the card in it.

To do that, click Start, then Run... then type
cmd
in the white box and that will start a command prompt. Then navigate to the where the SMC card is by simply typing
D:
Or E; F: etc depending on where your card is. Then type the following command...
dir m*.fxe > mfiles.txt
Then open that file by typing
notepad mfiles.txt

And if you could paste a copy of the contents of that file on here, I should be able to help you further.

HOWEVER, if all that was easy peasy for you, then all I want you to do is delete all the mame fxe files off your SMC card to give you a "clean" card. Some of these files might not be in GPMM, they could be in sub-directories such as GPMAME and MAMEGP32.
Then when you install 1.6, use the "Extract..." option from Winzip, don't just drag the files out of the zip file, as that doesn't keep the directory structure needed in the newer versions.

Is it possible in the next version to be able to switch the A and B buttons, that would benefit a lot of games !

Thanks for all of the great work guys

thegrimreaper posted on Aug 25 2005 at 08:57 AM said:
rygar posted on Aug 25 2005 at 12:20 AM said:

Selected Game:
Gradius

To Change:
Joystick L/R:      133MHz
Press Start:        Sound ON
Press Select:      NoDbl+Under
Press R Button:  Frame-Skip<=2
Press L Button:  No Save

P.s. Great work on the emu so far - It's so liberating playing Rygar at 30,000Ft.  :D
NOTE: Excuse me if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs here, but I don't know what level of PC knowledge you have....

Thanks for the "screen shot" of your options page. That tells me that you're definitely not running 1.6 (there are more options in that version). It looks like you've installed 1.6 incorrectly.

There are many ways to install software on an SMC card and I could help you out if you could give me a list of what files you've got where. I could just say "remove your current installation", but we can't be sure that you'll have done it correctly.

1st question, do you have an SMC card reader?
If so, then put the card in it, connect it to your pc and navigate to the root of the drive with the card in it.

To do that, click Start, then Run... then type
cmd
in the white box and that will start a command prompt. Then navigate to the where the SMC card is by simply typing
D:
Or E; F: etc depending on where your card is. Then type the following command...
dir m*.fxe > mfiles.txt
Then open that file by typing
notepad mfiles.txt

And if you could paste a copy of the contents of that file on here, I should be able to help you further.

HOWEVER, if all that was easy peasy for you, then all I want you to do is delete all the mame fxe files off your SMC card to give you a "clean" card. Some of these files might not be in GPMM, they could be in sub-directories such as GPMAME and MAMEGP32.
Then when you install 1.6, use the "Extract..." option from Winzip, don't just drag the files out of the zip file, as that doesn't keep the directory structure needed in the newer versions.

Hallelluja!! (Sound of trumpets and Angels)...
Thanks thegrimreaper for sticking with me through this, all is now working perfectly. The only thing I did differently was when I first downloaded this version it was from the Franxis Project site and it came in a WinRar file (which I'm not used to) so when I've clumbsely extracted it something went wrong somewhere :blink:
Now I can use the old Gfx core and save my high scores. :D
Sorry for appearing like such a noobie but it was easier to do the second suggestion you offered rather than all that DOS stuff so I guess my level of PC knowledge isn't as good as I thought it was. :rolleyes:
Again cheers and keep up the sterling work.

Back