Please Report Mame Gp32 1.5 Bugs !

horn posted on Aug 15 2005 at 04:47 AM said:
I've printed out the gamelist file, and have been going through them one by one.

Halfway through the list...

1) The following are rotated 90 degress counter clockwise, but the controls are not altered accordingly:

arabian
astrof
astrof2
astrof3
bezerk
bezerk1
blockout
challeng
cosmica
frenzy
frenzy1
kangarob
kangaroo
killcom
leprechn

2) The following are upside-down and mirrored:

gradius
gwarrior
konamigt

3) There's a few that do not yield a rom error, but say "no available game found", as the previous version did if you launched the fxe and had nothing matching them:

csprint
fantzone
liberatr

4) There's a few games where the audio goes to a constant screech. I don't have those all noted.

5) Odds and ends
a) There is no collision detection in bioatack, but I think that was an early problem with MAME.
B) junglek and jhunt both seem to have an issue when you get past the vines and dive. Nothing is displayed, but the audio keeps going.

Let me know if this is useful feedback. If not, I'll forgo reporting back on the the last half.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

Last edited by a moderator:
Franxis posted on Aug 15 2005 at 02:03 PM said:
Thanks to everybody ;-)

I agree. Thanks everyone.

We don't have anyone else to test the software, so unless you tell us what's wrong (preferably exactly what's wrong), then the problems will never get fixed. I just haven't got time to test the software, I've barely got time to write it (I'm getting in trouble with my missus for not spending more time packing for our big trip).

thegrimreaper posted on Aug 15 2005 at 01:53 PM said:
Sneak Preview...
Because of the nature of this problem I thought it was something to do with the games not storing the High Scores. I've therefore embarked on putting High Score support into all the games to see if it helps. Unfortunately this is a HUGE task, as there are well over 700 "drivers", one for each games, which need to be updated to use High Scores.

Apart from being an attempt to fix 1942, I'm sure it'll give me more long term enjoyment of Mame. If you've got a high score to aim for, then it gives you a reason to go back and play a game again.

I totally agree with you regarding the last paragraph. Hiscore support in Mame GP32 :wub:. I never thought I would see this happen and am gratefull for the 1942 bug (although it will mean more work for you :( ). However, take as long as you want adding this in. The thought of Mame GP32 eventually having hiscore support makes me very happy :D.

:)

Second half of the list...

Rotated 90 degrees clockwise with controls not rotated accordingly:
megatack
nitedrvr
potogold
route16
sharkatt
speakres

Upside-down and mirrored:
nemesis
nemesuk
rf2

Error: No Available Games Found
omegrace
paperboy
spacfura
spacfury
ssprint
startrek
tacscan
zektor

General Notes:
beastf and theglob seem to go to an internal (game) diagnostics menu.

missile, missile2, and suprmatk are chopped up wierd, as if they have been sliced several times, with each slice slightly offset.

vigilant, vigilntj, vsyard and yard all give me an Out Of Memory error.

mikie, mikiehs, and mikiej all reboot after you drop a coin in.

slapbtjp, slapbtuk, slapfigh, tigerh, tigerhb1, and tigerhb2 all start up, then you see an in-game message saying "BAD HW".

tinstar, trojan and trojanj seem to reboot themselves.

Control Notes:
reactor - can the up/down be reversed?

Pinball games (pbaction2, pbaction, speedbal, etc.) have A and B switched so that B works the left flipper and A works the right?

In general, will there be a means of assigning one's own control scheme on a per-game basis? This might be part of the individual config files, or I may have missed some documentation. Just a "wish list" item, if not.

Whee!

FANTASTIC work horn.

That is the sort of stuff I haven't got time to do, it's really appreciated and wil allow the developers (currently only me and Franix. Any other offers of help, it really isn't that hard???) to concentrate on the problematic areas.

Knowing the code as I do, I can say that some of those are easy, some aren't. User configurable controls probably won't be done at the moment, we'll just hard code some better settings for now. Maybe we'll do that in the future when all the other problems are ironed out.

Gruntfuggly posted on Aug 15 2005 at 05:19 PM said:
ser configurable controls probably won't be done at the moment

I thought that was possible through the .joy file?

Yes and no. That doesn't change which key does what, it only allows you to alter the sensitivity of the analogue controls (where present), so that the GP32 digital joystick can be configured to the preference of the user.

I thought of a way to kind of enhance the digital emulation of the analog. Right now you need to set a single speed and that is it for the whole game. Sometimes a faster action may be needed than what was set. One way around this would be to have a button set so that when you hold it down the speed of motion increases and when you let off of the button the speed drops back to the slower speed. Kind of like a "run" button in Doom. This way you would have a fast and slow motion available.

DaveC posted on Aug 15 2005 at 06:43 PM said:
I thought of a way to kind of enhance the digital emulation of the analog. Right now you need to set a single speed and that is it for the whole game. Sometimes a faster action may be needed than what was set. One way around this would be to have a button set so that when you hold it down the speed of motion increases and when you let off of the button the speed drops back to the slower speed. Kind of like a "run" button in Doom. This way you would have a fast and slow motion available.

Well, it's a nice idea, but I can think of some problems. Which button would you use for the acceleration effect (this would have to be the same button for all games, as Mame's core engine doesn't support what you're asking for) and there aren't really any "spare buttons" on many games?

thanks guys, I know it'll probably be a massive thing - high scores a great, but it's the playability of these classics more than hi scores that keeps me coming back for more, and you guys have done miracles with the GP32 MAME :)

Some comments about last Horn post (THANK YOU AGAIN!):

1) About the rotated screens or mirrored screens:
These are fails in the drivers. They are not correctly prepared for MAME video
settings (ror = rotate screen to the right, the setting i use to accelerate the video output in MAME GP32 1.4 and later versions). I think i will have to add a new configuration parameter in the settings menu to be able to run the game with the old video core, i don't want to modify the mame drivers...

2) "No available games found" error: Some of these errors are really errors. There are some games in the main selector not really emulated by the port yet.
I will have to remove the not available titles. I will check all titles mentioned in this forum thread.

3) beastf, theglob: press START+SELECT to reset the game, and it should work. This is needed i.e. to be able to run all Williams games.

4) vigilant: out of memory??? Maybe we have increase the size of mame core. it runs correctly in MAME GP32 1.3 and older versions :-(. I will investigate it.

5) Slap Fight, Tiger Heli: slapfigh doesn't work but slapbtjp and slapbtuk should work. tigerh doesn't work but tigerhb1 and tigerhb2 should work.

6) Trojan: Deactivate underclock option to make this game to run ok.

7) Pinball Action: i agree with this fail, but if you rotate the screen with R button the controls are ok.

Also in other webpage somebody told me about problems with Sega games (Choplifter, Wonder Boy): crappy sound and vertical scanlines. This is due to new added games, they have increased the size of the executable and this effect is the consequence.

3) beastf, theglob: press START+SELECT to reset the game, and it should work. This is needed i.e. to be able to run all Williams games.
I retested this. Pressing A (or Start) will bring up the internal diagnostic screen. Seems B is the action key. Pressing A (or Start) at any time - playing the game or during the "attract mode" - will take you into the diagnostics. Rebooting ala Joust does not correct this; pressing A (or Start) after the reset will still yield the diagnostics.

5) Slap Fight, Tiger Heli: slapfigh doesn't work but slapbtjp and slapbtuk should work. tigerh doesn't work but tigerhb1 and tigerhb2 should work.
I stand corrected. My notes were getting sloppy in the wee hours.

7) Pinball Action: i agree with this fail, but if you rotate the screen with R button the controls are ok.
Indeed it does. The same could be applied to Bank Panic. This solution is indeed satisfactory!

I haven't mentioned it before, but fantastic work on all of this.

Keep on keepin' on!

Up 'n down - only dark blue, light red and orange flags appear. If you pick them up, all flags will appear white... the light blue, dark green, dark red, light green, pink, yellow and black flags never appear.

Crazy Kong - screeching sound when Kong starts jumping in the beginning of the game.

Back