Players Choice

What do you enjoy (look forward to) most about your GP2X?

• Video

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Music

• Homebrew Gaming

• Commercial Gaming

• Emulation

• Development

• Other (please specify in message)

• Total voters

NinjaFae

Still Fresh
What do you all enjoy most about your GP2X (Those that own them, to the rest, what do you look forward to most when you eventually own one?)

My personal favourites are as follows:

Movie Playback
Music Playback (Though I need less AAC audio, and more OGG/MP3)
Beat2x - I am soooooo hopelessly addicted
DrMD - I just have a soft spot for retro games.
And I'm looking forward to that commercial RPG they claim to be making. (Rolling demo anytime soon? ^_~)

Had I to pick but a single feature, it's the painlessly simple video playback, none of this convert convert convert malarky thats required for iPod Video, or RCA Lyra, or even 'Media Centre', though there are rare times I need to convert anyhow, it's usually because it's already in proprietary format, ie m4v. :lol:

It would be movies.. But minealways freeze after 10mins or so beacuse my 150X SD card cant keep up with it. MY parents slow 1x 256mb sd card does not freeze when i use a 200mb movie or more.

I can however re-encode.. but i hope in the future firmware fixes that the movie player is fixed so it isnt such a beast on sd drain or w/e o_O

Without a doubt...Video, I've never used a handheld as much. I must use my GP2X about 3 or 4 hours each and every day. The only problem I've got is encoding enough video to watch :)

The main thing is emulation (I love the GB and DrMDx, thanks K-toto and Reesy!!), but I also enjoy almost just as much movie playing. Since I was already an expert encoder before I ever even heard of the GP2X, it makes watching stuff on it easier...

I also like homebrew too, but I usually just browse through them and not play them nearly as much as the emulators.

I am planning to make a homebrew game as well... some people might not like it, but I will say it will be an RPG with an original system (if I ever am able to make it).

Same goes for me, it's one of the main reasons I got mine. With development and emulation coming a close second.
I had my laptop stolen (off my lap!) when I was on a train, so the 2x is great for watching when I'm travelling to and from work.

Emulation (DrMDx/gngeo in particular). Music's probably a second. I can't stand watching movies on the 3.5"-inch screen when I've got access to larger things at home & don't feel like watching 30min-1h snippets of movies/whatever when I'm out.

It is a close tie between Emulators and videos. I have watched nearly 3 seasons of Macgyver with it. I would say the emulators are my favorite though.

Without a doubt...Video, I've never used a handheld as much. I must use my GP2X about 3 or 4 hours each and every day. The only problem I've got is encoding enough video to watch :)
Yah, I hear ya. Finding stuff to put on the device is challenging, specially when you want enough media to keep you entertained without repeating, but keeping the sizes of said media to sizes that allow you to store loads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Emulation. I hardly use mplayer or OldPlay, and homebrew GP2X games don't appeal to me.

I would say music. I`m always on the move so like to listen music with gp2x about 3-4 h a day.
Then mostly video and emulation. Just love to play SNES/MD on the train.

Looking forward for an update to mplayer. Also BoB.

I would say music. I`m always on the move so like to listen music with gp2x about 3-4 h a day.
Then mostly video and emulation. Just love to play SNES/MD on the train.

Looking forward for an update to mplayer. Also BoB.
Yep, more codecs for mplayer would be nice. Perhaps they could make it modular, to get around the licensing, ie, they release a working Mplayer, that does what it currently does, but provides support for additional codecs to be added later, for MP2, MP4, VP31 Cinepak, PSP and perhaps even M4V (Unprotected iPod videos)? :)

The onus then, wouldn't be on the makers, but on us to port codecs to the player, and with the vast range of open source code out there for video playback, I imagine that the codecs would start pouring in for Mplayer. Hmm, time to make this a request/wish? ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Back