Play Golf On The Gp2x?

Tommy

Still Fresh
Greetings,

I'd like to play golf on my GP2X. Preferably something like the Hot Shots series on the Playstation, although that is probably asking too much. I'd rather have something fun and cartoonish, rather than a true golf simulation, but if there's a really good simulator I'll take a look.

I'm assuming I'll be using an emulator of some kind.

Got any recommendations?

Thanks!

- Tommy

reaper79 posted on Aug 31 2006 at 12:20 AM said:
Easy, Mario Golf for Gameboy Color. So much fun...
Yep yep yep. That and Mario Tennis are all I've been playing lately.

Neo Turf Masters (NeoGeo/GnGeo2x) is also a fantastic game.

Last edited by a moderator:
ugh, Mario Golf or Mario Tennis?! Those have WAY too much useless chatter in them. They try to make them like crappy RPG's...f'ing horrible, IMO

If you want a good golf game without 90 pages of talk in them, I'd try Golf or NES Open Tournament Golf, both on the NES. The Genesis also has a bunch of good golf games on it.

BobBorakovitz posted on Aug 31 2006 at 03:01 AM said:
bacteria posted on Aug 31 2006 at 02:48 AM said:
Neo Turf Masters - play on either MAME or GnGeo. Fantastic.

GREAT recommendation that I forgot about! I love that game! :D

off to play it now :)
Is there an echo in here? Phew... talk about only reading what you want to read <_< .

Mario Tennis has an exhibition mode that requires no RPG elements whatsoever.

iignotus posted on Aug 31 2006 at 04:15 AM said:
Is there an echo in here? Phew... talk about only reading what you want to read <_< .

I noticed later that you recommended Neo Turf Masters first, I guess I jumped the gun on replying about that overrated Mario Golf game. $hit happens.

Here's my problem with those games (and most games on GBA/DS now) Why must we all read a really crappy storyline just to get to some gameplay? I came to play Golf, not read a friggin encyclopedia. I tried playing Mario Golf on the GBA recently, hoping it was better than the GBC version, and it was so boring, you couldn't even skip past the talk. I sat there for damn near 15 minutes reading this stupid story. If I could skip past it, I wouldn't care at all, but you're forced to read it all, and it's soooooo tedious and time consuming, not exactly my deffinition of fun. If I want to read, I'll get a book, something similar in length, like War & Peace :p

Exhibition is fun and all, but it gets old pretty quick, it'd be nice to play a tournament without the aformentioned RPG crap. RPG's are fine alone sometimes, but not when it's mixed with every freaking game on the market, ESPECIALLY sports games. Next thing you know Mario will be shooting level 5 fire spells out of his ass when putting. :p

BobBorakovitz posted on Aug 31 2006 at 10:40 AM said:

I noticed later that you recommended Neo Turf Masters first, I guess I jumped the gun on replying about that overrated Mario Golf game. $hit happens.

Here's my problem with those games (and most games on GBA/DS now) Why must we all read a really crappy storyline just to get to some gameplay? I came to play Golf, not read a friggin encyclopedia. I tried playing Mario Golf on the GBA recently, hoping it was better than the GBC version, and it was so boring, you couldn't even skip past the talk. I sat there for damn near 15 minutes reading this stupid story. If I could skip past it, I wouldn't care at all, but you're forced to read it all, and it's soooooo tedious and time consuming, not exactly my deffinition of fun. If I want to read, I'll get a book, something similar in length, like War & Peace :p

Exhibition is fun and all, but it gets old pretty quick, it'd be nice to play a tournament without the aformentioned RPG crap. RPG's are fine alone sometimes, but not when it's mixed with every freaking game on the market, ESPECIALLY sports games. Next thing you know Mario will be shooting level 5 fire spells out of his ass when putting. :p
I agree with your sentiments. Having to read through lots of meaningless drivel goes not a good game make! I tried Mario Golf on the GBA, drivel, drivel; then an ok game (graphics suck really). Limited lifespan. :angry:

Neo Turf Masters on the other hand has no such drivel; is cartoony but in a serious way; and is hard to put down. There are only 4 courses, but you don't tire playing them. It was a pity that Nasca/SNK went out of business quite so quickly, I believe there was a Neo Turf Masters 2 in the making (anyone seen it/got it??).

As had been said, gngeo has a few golf games worth checking out. I was always fond of NES Open Golf back on the NES too, though that may be a little dated. If you want something a little more realistic, try the PGA Tour releases for Genesis/Megadrive by EA Sports as well.

I get audio gitters every now and again, but I never bother to mess around with the options.

TheMinder posted on Aug 31 2006 at 04:06 AM said:
Someone's making a homebrew golf game.... Don't know the progress, but check the news.

It's me for my sins.

See here : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=31005&hl=

As for progress, well it's near enough finished for an initial release and so i'm very confident that the middle of september deadline i mention in that thread will be smashed. :rolleyes:
Why not hold out for the community contest? :)

- Alex

Back