Play Asia Wiz - Big Delay

fishybawb said:
Yeah, I was in touch with them a while back, and they're not interested in emulators at all. I'm not sure if they're still looking, but they were asking for sourcecode to homebrew games so that they can check compatibility.
Maybe thats because a while ago they had convinced themself they would have 100% binary compatability... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
meh. this is just shitty. Missing christmas won't help gph's monetary situation either. All that oled goodness and you can't use it because of flash and bad coders.

Let's hope the extra time gives them time to iron out any hardware issues too; the first edition of the GP2x was hardly faultless after all.

If I get a Wiz or Pandora (quite a big if), I will wait this time for the second or third revisions of the hardware to be released; quite a bit of cash after all to buy one of these systems if the system ends up buggy...

I can't believe they would put a flash based system menu in a console to begin with. That from the beginnig is bad judgement. I do 3D and flash for a living and while you can do some fairly cool stuff with flash action scripting, it's still not going to cut the mustard for a system menu. The fact that they didn't realize till it was so close to the Oct then Nov release is very disappointing. Look on the bright side though, if it wasn't for the dev's with the prototypes we might have system out in Nov, but would be buggy as hell. So thank you devs. It's going to make this machine all the better when it's "hopefully" released in Feb. Well at least I'll have tax money to blow on it when the time comes.

Franxis said:
slaanesh said:
I should elaborate that I am only disappointed because I was so looking forward to getting a unit and start porting stuff (like MAME, unless of course Franxis was going to do this).

Maybe I can get a pre-release dev unit?
Yes, i had a WIZ reserved in HardCoreGamer (the official spanish distributor), and my intention is to port MAME for the WIZ... Didn't you offered to port MAME to Pandora?

I'm also disappointed. There is nothing positive in the WIZ or Pandora announcements... They will be both delayed to 2009... and the effect is that the scene is dead for months, waiting for the new handhelds... :(

About the pre-release units, i think GPH has only given pre-release dev units to people helping in the firmware and development libraries, and also to the authors of homebrew games... nothing for emulator ports... GPH do not want to hype...

Well there's still good ol' GP2X, perhaps time for big update until the Wiz? Will you still be supporting GP2X after Wiz is released?

Maybe for a cristmas we should ask to reveil the secret Wiz Forums? :)

Hirolaser said:
Well there's still good ol' GP2X, perhaps time for big update until the Wiz? Will you still be supporting GP2X after Wiz is released?
Yes, i will support the GP2X... The idea is to have the new MAME4ALL versions released in both GP2X and WIZ... But there is a new interesting project (not related to MAME) and i will help on it...

quasist said:
Maybe for a cristmas we should ask to reveil the secret Wiz Forums? :)
To be honest there's not much going on there, just the odd thing about the firmware now and then. It's not a very active part of the boards.

I am really trying to get a Wiz section of the boards created, but as yet we're not getting any response from Hando. I get the feeling he must be away or mega busy at the moment :(

EvilDragon said:
Yes, ALL WIZs wil be delayed.
Basically, the company that did the main menu didn't manage to get it running very well (it runs in flash).
They now scrapped that and need to code their own main menu.

They don't want to have a bad system out this time.

Should be possible ;)

I've already sent them an email to have one some weeks ago .. but no answer (yet...)

Since I am impatient and want something soon especially for MAME should I get an f-200 while I wait for the Wiz or just be patient and wait.............any opinions ? thx :)

JyCet said:
EvilDragon said:
Yes, ALL WIZs wil be delayed.
Basically, the company that did the main menu didn't manage to get it running very well (it runs in flash).
They now scrapped that and need to code their own main menu.

They don't want to have a bad system out this time.

Should be possible ;)

I've already sent them an email to have one some weeks ago .. but no answer (yet...)

Be a little patient, they are currently moving offices to a new larger building, so there's a bit of a delay in answering queries etc.

If you want to port any emulators, etc. please send me a PM, as GPH is expecting a list from me and want me to send out the WIZs :)

Has anyone been able to send things to the NAND or run any existing GP2X application? I'm having great trouble trying to do ANYTHING with the Wiz... >_<

Yes. W&W doesn't run because you start messing with hardware registers which causes the Wiz to crash instantly.

Orkie said:
Yes. W&W doesn't run because you start messing with hardware registers which causes the Wiz to crash instantly.
Oops :p

Actually I kind of supposed that, but I'm serious, I can't get the Wiz to run ANY single program. I've tried lots of simple programs but nothing runs. I'm not sure if it's an SD card issue, since GPH told us eariler that the W&W demo does run on the Wiz when running on NAND.

It's kind of frustrating not to be able to run any single app and not being able to access the NAND. So, combined with that, I'm still not mentally prepared to try to compile for the GP2X after destroying W&W's code for the Dreamcast version :(

In any case, I'm hoping to recompile the new code for GP2X in the next weeks to have all the new features of the Dreamcast version, and possibly create a version where I don't mess up with overclocking and color registers so that it runs smoothly on Open2x too, as well as the F200 where some people complained about it crashing the Menu later. Was it a no-sound problem on Open2x?

I sorted the sound on Open2x, it was my fault, I'd forgotten a library :). I think you have my contact details if you need any help with the Wiz.

I pre-ordered a Wiz recently from GP2XStore, and I am upset that the delay is just for software reasons. EvilDragon, I'd really like it if you could convince GPH to implement WIFI into the device, even if it means delaying it until march :eek: . WIFI is a good reason for a delay, and I would be fine with 30 more days of waiting if it meant such great potential added into the Wiz! Almost everything portable now has the WIFI feature, and GPH needs to catch up. If GPH wants to compete with the Pandora, and wants to be more successful, then I think WIFI implementation would put them in the right direction. Please GPH, give us WIFI!!!

I don't know why I wrote all this. It isn't going to do anything... <_<

Back