Platformer tileset in search of a game dev:

What if the game_time=real_time thing were purely cosmetic?

Or if the game had a 24hour day, but game_time only progressed while you were playing?

Last edited by a moderator:
What if you could hide from bad guys more easily at night?

Or had to use some kind of lighting?

Then it would discriminate against people who could only play in the day.  Or if you had a flashlight type thing, against those who could only play at night who had to use an extra control to see properly.

In MSR it was a neat trick for the first few days, but after that point it started to feel like I wasn't seeing all of the game.

I meant when combined with a game clock that only ticked while you were playing.

So the first x hours of play would be in 'daylight', and the next x hours at 'night'.

When you played would make no difference, only how long you had played for

curse2011.png

edit: Ah, right.

Was that mechanic any good?

Well I never played this one myself but when I was a kid my friend had it castlevania 2 I think, I remember you could only go into houses during the day. But can't remember if it was a good mechanic or not.

You should play it and find out :)

Probably ought to be cosmetic then...
Do it right and it'll probably be good. In Castlevania 2 it was just really badly implemented with the 10s dialog every time the time of day changed and no real advantage in nighttime.

One thing you might want to conider is something like Majoras Mask's time warp or to get from one time to another. It can be just a "wait" functionality or something you can use when not in a combat area or something. Something to make leaving the game on and waiting for the time of day to change not a required mode of gameplay :D . Think of it this way: you have an event tied to a time of day, and you miss it by 10s. Do you go out to do stuff and hope to catch it next time or just find a way to advance time enough to just get to do what you were about to? An example in castlevania 2 would be trying to get to a store to buy a needed item just to have night fall a few seconds early.

It's a challenging mechanic to get right, but can add depth. See for instance majora's mask or fallout (especially new vegas).

I have a dozen :D

Making some use of the assets you've made wouldn't probably be too hard, but making something more than a wars:commando-ish hacked together run and gun especially with mechanics as involved as a day/night cycle (implemented properly with meaningful implications) is quite an undertaking. Basically to really make use of the mechanic one would need to at least have an explorable game world with backtracking and stuff, implying somewhat large map, which would probably point to cave story / metroidvania style gameplay. Or Terraria. For a simpler target I'd go for purely cosmetic change if the day/night effect is used.

I'll keep this set in mind in case I come up with a properly scoped game I want to make that fits them though.

I lite the tileset so far, specially the burried skeleton, somehow reminds me of Black Tiger.
This could go well in a game similar to EXILE back on the amiga days.

I think it's funny in GTA IV that two real time seconds correspond to one in-game minute.

So game time is thirty times faster than real time, and your top driving speed might be only 7 km / hour!

Back