Planned Hardware Hacks/mods

Been thinking about a Hard drive dock got an old Archos 20GB multimedia jukebox take the battery and hard drive and mod out a caddie to lock it to the bottom of the case.

Probably never get round to it though

Granted enough space I will place some infrared LED Throwies next to the holes in the SD cages to see if it
allows a wiimote to work (Too clumsy to drill holes)

azmodean said:
IR
There's an internal UART already and it'd only take like $10 in parts to add a IR tranciever and led.
Do you know how to code? You will have to do more the just putting the parts on to make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to everybody.

I have a question about the openess of pandora. I don't know if someone know the openmoko project, and the Hardware Openess of the project (wiki.openmoko.org).

They give the CAD files, for example. I don't know if it's possible to share some schematics, in order to made easy the hack's or moddings of HW.

It's only a question to see the direction of the project, because it could be funny.

See you.
o0 Methril 0o

phi6 said:
Maybe I would perhaps flip the screen, remove the keyboard and have it more like gp2x's form factor, I'm a big gaming fan and would not use the UMPC features much!
this might break compatibility with quite a few Pandora apps - I'm sure that devs are gonna write programs/emus/games/etc with the keyboard in mind. Removing it might make a lot of things not work properly.

I guess you could get round this by buying one of those tiny QWERTY bluetooth keyboards for mobile phones and carrying that around with you when you need it. What would you do with the upper part of the Pandora where the screen used to live? Take it off? Or fill the space when the screen once was and use it as a big screen protector?

I'm confused. If someone is not interested in the UMPC features, and just wants to use the game features, why not just buy a game system? The GP2X or a custom firmware PSP sounds like it would be far superior to suit such needs. That's basically all you'd be left with if you cut out the UMPC features.

KRH said:
azmodean said:
IR
There's an internal UART already and it'd only take like $10 in parts to add a IR tranciever and led.
Do you know how to code? You will have to do more the just putting the parts on to make it work.

Yes, I'm a Software Engineer. From what I can tell it will just be a matter of implementing a few serial protocols, and with any luck I'll just be able to port IR apps from other devices that do normally support IR instead.

azmodean said:
KRH said:
azmodean said:
IR

Yes, I'm a Software Engineer. From what I can tell it will just be a matter of implementing a few serial protocols, and with any luck I'll just be able to port IR apps from other devices that do normally support IR instead.

Sounds good. And you'll post a how-to here?

TaG said:
azmodean said:
KRH said:
azmodean said:
IR

Sounds good. And you'll post a how-to here?

Yea I'll be posting everything, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting any from the first 3K <cry>

I was planning on installing three CELL processors, an array of x86 coprocessors, a small beer factory and a V8, but I might have to drop one CELL processor because of the heat it would give out.

Back