Planet Computers : Gemini - Psion Returns

In case you were looking for yet another place for Gemini news and information:
http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Main_Page#bs-nav-section-navigation

That is probably the most "official" place, but so far it has the least amount of actual information. Although it is put forward as a "Developers Forum", I do not see any prerequisites for joining. From the general course of the conversations, it does not appear that the majority of the posters are developers - or that any of them have a Gemini yet.

In case you were looking for yet another place for Gemini news and information:
http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Main_Page#bs-nav-section-navigation

That is probably the most "official" place, but so far it has the least amount of actual information. Although it is put forward as a "Developers Forum", I do not see any prerequisites for joining. From the general course of the conversations, it does not appear that the majority of the posters are developers - or that any of them have a Gemini yet.

The link above wasn't what I was intending:
https://developer.planetcom.co.uk/
That is the developers forum.

Charbax Interview with Planet computers at their office

[doublepost=1521170364,1521168409][/doublepost]They mention that the biggest market for the Gemini PDA was Japan.

Interesting, becuase the vast majority of backers for the GPD WIN, GPD Pocket and GPD WIN 2 was also Japan.

Japan love their UMPCs

Japan has been into UMPCs for a long time. From the S5 which is over 20 years old now I think, we have had the Psion Revo, various Nokia communicators, the Pandora and the GPD win as content creation palmtop devices - in the same duration Japan has had dozens of devices often running Windows on x86 chips and so on.

Libhybris sounds like a big binary blob to me. That might limit the portability of some of the telephony stuff between Gemini and Pyra say, but hopefully we can still leverage UI elements and things.

Check out the guy typing on it at the 29 minute mark in the video above. Typing looks super quick and easy

Yes, it's clearly possible to adapt. I can't say how easy it is from that video, especially given he's already lied about the feedback on the early shipments (but for understandable reasons). The pitch of the sound sounds lower in pitch than me typing on my 5MX keyboard, so I guess it might have a heavier feel, but I don't really know. The fact he could type that sentence without making any mistakes is certainly promising though.

Charbax Interview with Planet computers at their office

[doublepost=1521170364,1521168409][/doublepost]

I watched through the video and took a few notes on important (to me) bits.

4:30 Sailfish has GPU acceleration and 4G and 4G calls working. I am -really- starting to look forward to trying out Sailfish. It looks awesome.

16:30 The USB Hub has Ethernet, dual USB 3.0 host ports and a USB C power port - but cannot charge the device while connected. The Hub will only connect to the left port. The Gemini will only charge from the left port. The HDMI adapter can only be used in the right port. The right port cannot support the hub, but can support a single USB device (mouse example). Not ideal, but they recognize that and are working on it.

19:00 Plan to open source release the actual bootloader source code. This is a big deal. It could mean being able to boot from microSDXC.

23:00 Interviewer asks if the unit he is holding is an X27. The Planet Computers guy does not correct him to X25. Are X27 being produced now?

27:40 Keyboard is the most important part. Without it the device is useless.

33:30 Planet Computers is hiring Customer Support people in London. I take this as a good thing and a solid step forward in a plan to become an ongoing concern. I.e signs of plans for a life beyond Indiegogo.
[doublepost=1521217481][/doublepost]
Yes, it's clearly possible to adapt. I can't say how easy it is from that video, especially given he's already lied about the feedback on the early shipments (but for understandable reasons). The pitch of the sound sounds lower in pitch than me typing on my 5MX keyboard, so I guess it might have a heavier feel, but I don't really know. The fact he could type that sentence without making any mistakes is certainly promising though.

The feedback that they get on the early shipments is most likely mostly positive. Especially if you include 'no feedback' as a positive. The errors/issues/oops cases are going to be the most obvious and show up as the most angry in the public forums. Think about it. They shipped 800+ units. There are a few dozen public complainers. That is about 3%. Expected device failure rate for this should be in the 5-8% range for a new device from a new company. I think they're doing fine, but they need to get an RMA process in place to placate the rightfully annoyed people who received faulty units.

Meh. GPD Pocket still holds my #1 position for pocketable linux computing ... the Gemini just seems like a never ending hassle of outdated kernels and poor software support at this point. I don't see how they're going to get enough traction to warrant continual updates to the software - at least, nothing in the company culture indicates that they're going to support the Gemini beyond the release. Or, is there?

Its not like the Pandora/Pyra where we have a clear community effort to keep things moving forward.

Meh. GPD Pocket still holds my #1 position for pocketable linux computing ... the Gemini just seems like a never ending hassle of outdated kernels and poor software support at this point. I don't see how they're going to get enough traction to warrant continual updates to the software - at least, nothing in the company culture indicates that they're going to support the Gemini beyond the release. Or, is there?

Its not like the Pandora/Pyra where we have a clear community effort to keep things moving forward.
Not sure about that. The linux forums (oesf or something like this) are probably motivated. Libhybris and an open bootloader seem like decent chances of this device having decent 3rd party OS support. At least the manufacturer is positive about trying to have things open.

Not sure about that. The linux forums (oesf or something like this) are probably motivated. Libhybris and an open bootloader seem like decent chances of this device having decent 3rd party OS support. At least the manufacturer is positive about trying to have things open.

Agree....

There's oesf.org forums as well as XDA forum section now....

Beautiful device IMHO, but i can just pull out my psion 5mx to remember how badly i type on that size keyboard.

I'd prefer the pokey-thumby pyra thing a bit smaller. Gotta pick your team someday.

I have also ordered the camera module add-on which will come with my device since they have said shipping mid April. Also have the case and the t-shirt lol will get some pics up here when I get them this month.

Back