Planet Computers : Gemini - Psion Returns

That codetapper page really does make for grim reading, the bit about the launch party really was a low point.

Well after looking at the Indiegogo terms of use, as suspected, it absolutely does not say perk contributions are donations.

In fact it says the opposite.

"Campaign Owners are permitted to offer Perks to Contributors. Campaign Owners are legally bound to perform on any promise and/or commitment to Contributors (including delivering any Perks). This commitment includes shipping Perks to Indiegogo Contributors before fulfilling any orders received after the Campaign has ended. For Campaign Owners participating in programs with our retail partners, failure to ship orders to Indiegogo Contributors first may result in removal from such retail partnership programs."

https://www.indiegogo.com/about/terms

Frankly I wouldn't feel comfortable backing somthing where the project creator told you your backing was a donation. And then went further to say that was in line with Indiegogo terms of use - when in fact the terms say it's the oposite.

Last edited:
I think that may have been a kickstarter thing during the early days. Now I check there is says:
If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. To right this, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to the best possible conclusion for backers. A creator in this position has only remedied the situation and met their obligations to backers if:

() they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned;
() they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers;
() they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised;
() they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and
() they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.

In other words, if you can explain yourself you've got a get out of jail free card.

Also, helpfully:
Kickstarter is not a part of this contract — the contract is a direct legal agreement between creators and their backers.

In other words, if it all goes wrong it's not our fault.

https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use (section 4)

I think that may have been a kickstarter thing during the early days. Now I check there is says:

In other words, if you can explain yourself you've got a get out of jail free card.

Also, helpfully:

In other words, if it all goes wrong it's not our fault.

https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use (section 4)

Thats not really the case . They are saying that if you can explain where the money went, then the backers are less likely to sue you. But it doesn't idemnify the project creator against it.. In fact they make it clear that you can be sued by backers. Mind you, if you explain where the cash went and it's all gone, then there is no point for backers to sue - they wouldn't get anything anyhway. I guess it would be a matter of it the backers believed the campaig owners explanation

First they say :

"Kickstarter provides a funding platform for creative projects. When a creator posts a project on Kickstarter, they’re inviting other people to form a contract with them. Anyone who backs a project is accepting the creator’s offer, and forming that contract.

Kickstarter is not a part of this contract — the contract is a direct legal agreement between creators and their backers"

Then this

"The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers"

It's always been a myth that KS was a donation. It stemmed from the days where there were no tech projects on KS. Back then it was about funding someones dreams (artists / musicians etc) and no perks or rewards were offered.
[doublepost=1491735568,1491707955][/doublepost]Well , the Gemini PDA campaign ended, but they then went straight into "In demand" mode. Which means they can still be backed.

Last edited:
@Ian J

Well I guess people will know if it's on track come August

qk7dc79ipwbpjpjmyu9p.png

I must admit, if they can pull it off, this thing would be pretty awesome.

But have they any chance? I see they're still claiming an 8000mAh battery, and the only way I can see they'd achieve that at 5V in the space is by skimping on protection and ending up with Samsung-like battery fires left, right and centre.

@levi

The battery and how it will fit is the biggest question mark. I guess we will see in a few months.

But have they any chance? I see they're still claiming an 8000mAh battery, and the only way I can see they'd achieve that at 5V in the space is by skimping on protection and ending up with Samsung-like battery fires left, right and centre.
Since when would manufacturers gives mAh at the output voltage? They always use the cell voltage as it gives them higher values...

Still pretty sceptical about this product.. Haven't seen anything to change my mind yet.

love the keyboard (at least, i think i would). but yeah, sketchy PGS-like claims for battery, size, dev time, etc.

1st of the proposed keyboard layouts has been posted:

Code:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/updates

don't they know they can just post here for awesome keyboard layout suggestions? they don't even need to come up with their own :)

They made it difficult to make comments and suggestions on their keyboard layouts (and they will have a bunch of them) so I am going to skip that, even when they show the one for my region.

I need to look into this again later. For some reason I am finding the idea more appealing than most related projects. Probably those regional keyboards.

Unless you care for an actual keyboard I guess ?
Psion keyboards beat the Pandora and Pyra hand down. It's not thumb typing, it's touch typing. Clearly better for the keyboard. As for USB/mouse, etc, comments are valid, but if you care about typing, the Gemini is going to be very hard to beat.

Touch typing implies that you sit down at a table and put your device on it. At that point, I don't see any reason to prefer an ultra-portable device to a laptop. I know I need at least A4-sized keyboard for comfortable typing, the difference between 12" and 10" laptops is huge for me. I wouldn't even consider touch-typing on this gadget.

Since when would manufacturers gives mAh at the output voltage? They always use the cell voltage as it gives them higher values...

It's not just about reporting higher values, it's about comparing apples to apples. How would you like it if the same battery had different ratings when used in different devices?

Back