PixelQi Display connected to Pandora Board?

Eduardo

Still Fresh
Would it be possible to connect this following display to the pandora-board instead of the original one?

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKPQ01

The PixelQi display has 1024*600 resolution, a LVDS Laptop display interface (dont know the standard number)

I am interested in building a DVB-T receiver which is viewable in direct sunlight.

I would connect a USB-DVB-T stick to the Pandorabox and use this PixelQi Display which is

sunlight readable.

For the performance of the PixelQi display please see

http://www.pixelqi.com/products

Thank you

Unless some sort of breakout board setup could allow this to work (and it would be neat to see someone build some sort of dock to allow the Pandora to add an external display like this) I'm thinking it's much more likely you'd have to butcher a Panda to achieve your goal at which point maybe a beagleboard might better suit this task?

(I don't want to discourage a Pandora sale but don't want to see any Panda's butchered :D )

I know I pushed the beagleboard's resolution up to 1280x800 at home with the DVI connector it has, so the resolution may be possible on the Pandora.. but yeah I'm not sure if this will just snap together properly.. I know they keep things semi-standardized but there may be some differences to overcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
You realize that is a 10.1" display, right?

Now - if Pixel Qi were to make a screen that FITS in a Pandora and can get the signals, I'd get real excited and then still sit around mumbling to myself about how two years later I still don't have a Pandora to dream about putting a Pixel Qi screen in.

It -would- be a GREAT idea if Craig & ED were to get something with Pixel Qi for the next iteration of the Pandora console - whenever that may be. Or, for that matter, sell Pixel Qi screens as upgrades to the existing version IF Pixel Qi were to actually make one in that form factor.

Off-the-bat I'd guess that it is possible but in the hardware side would atleast need a custom lcd cable or some conversion board (and a total butchering of the pandora) and in the software side it would be a change of the LCD parameters defined in the kernel (thus a kernel recompilation, thus you wouldnt be able to just roll with the updates from OP Ltd).

I would make my own housing, so the difference in size does not matter. I would need this as a demo prototype.

Off-the-bat I'd guess that it is possible but in the hardware side would atleast need a custom lcd cable or some conversion board (and a total butchering of the pandora) and in the software side it would be a change of the LCD parameters defined in the kernel (thus a kernel recompilation, thus you wouldnt be able to just roll with the updates from OP Ltd).

I don't know about that. From what I've read up on Pixel Qi it sounds like their products are pin/signal compatible with the LCD that they are designed to replace. On the Lenovo 10.1" netbooks that the current screens swap into, I don't think that the end user has to do anything custom.

It -would- take a bit of partnership between OPL and Pixel Qi. I think that the result could be very cool though. I would be willing to pay a premium to get the Pixel Qi screen in my Pandora. Something in the range of $75 premium over the stock device price if shipped in a new device (No LCD in order) or $100 if sold as a replacement screen would be in line.

I wonder how tight they can get the effective pixel count in our size of screen. The term 'pixel' gets a bit fuzzy on a Pixel Qi display.

I did a bit more research on this and -WOW-...

They have hand held device screens - but consumers can't buy them.

I had no idea that this is shipping now!

OPL - make more money off of us - bring in some of these screens to sell as optional upgrades on our Pandoras!

http://www.pixelqi.com/products

Mobile Computing Needs Lower Power Screens

See image to left: Typical Android power breakdown - screen uses about 1/2 the power. This is the case with most mobile devices. The situation is worse with ipad, where the screen consumes a hefty majority of the power budget. A Pixel Qi screen in an ipad could nearly halve its weight - as less battery weight and housing weight would be needed to yield 10+ hours of battery life.

Conclusion: To enable the next wave of mobile devices, users and apps - vastly improved screen battery life is needed. Pixel Qi delivers this today and offers a rich roadmap of improvements to take it further in the next few years.

The Pixel Qi Adaptive Screen Advantage:

Proven 5X power reduction of the screen - shipping now.

Use anywhere - brilliant sunlight, offices, darkroom

Advanced technology – completely proven in high volume

Fully compatible w/ existing systems – plug-and-play replacement for standard LCD

Reflective mode for low power and e-reader applications

High Color and speed for multi-media and PC type applications

^^ I was referring to plugging that 10.1" pixel Qi display to the pandora board. Of course if they made a display compatible with the TPO LCD (cable pinout, size), it would be a straight swap.

If you want to look for a good display for the 2nd generation of the Pandora, you might want to look at

http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/

They got a full motion in-sunlight-readable color transreflective display using less power than an e-ink display.

See it in action at

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pDoVzKd9H4U?feature=oembed

5,7 inch display, 0,2 watt power consumption, dont know what interface electronics they need.

First displays should be available in in numbers in 2Q 2011

Have fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Back