GP2X Pixel Editor On Gp2x

I had the same idea as you guys!!
And I also had enough time and motivation do to a "beta" version...

So, basiquelly, I've made a new picture format especillay for the GP2X.
I've called this format GPSprite
It's a native 16Bits color def, with a 256 color palette, an alpha channel, and with 5 layers .

Using layers and a limited palette makes the editing really easier.
I'll add support with animations later...

So, it's gonna be like a 16bits layered animated gif :)

I've also written the code needed to load the picture data into your C++/SDL application.
BUt, as I'm not so all at ease with allocationg/desallocation memory, I still need to work more on it.

A screen shot of the editor:
gpsprites-screen01.jpg

More news soon...

tikka said:
It's a native 16Bits color def, with a 256 color palette, an alpha channel, and with 5 layers .
* A_SN puts his GP2X in a sock, grabs the sock by its collar and slams it hard against tikka's skull

Great fucking idea, a new image format, uncompressed, ridiculously limited and obviously not compatible with anything out there. Stop being lazy and use some already existing and superior image format (hint : PNG/MNG)

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
* A_SN puts his GP2X in a sock, grabs the sock by its collar and slams it hard against tikka's skull

Great fucking idea, a new image format, uncompressed, ridiculously limited and obviously not compatible with anything out there. Stop being lazy and use some already existing and superior image format (hint : PNG/MNG)
How about you either write your own or don't give out useless, unconstructive, negative criticism?

Uncompressed >> did I said it was uncompressed ?

16Bits colors >> no need for a deeper depth since the gp2x cannot display it.

256 colors palette >> I've learned from developing for the GBA how limited palette are great!
They make is so easy to dynamiquelly change color values.

5 layers >> I could raise to value to 10, 100 or whatever.

As far as I know neither pngs and apngs doesn't supports layers. I've made this format mostly because I got sick of always exporting my photoshop/gimp/paint shop pro files to PNGs or BMPs.
With my system, your "work" file and your "exported" file are the same.
One file could even contains all the sprites of your project to make editing your graphics very easy to organize.

A_SN, your avatar looks like.... Hitler. Please, tell me I'm wrong

A_SN said:
tikka said:

WHOA A_SN, There is absolutely NO reason to personally attack tikka like that, You`re reply was rude and totally uncalled for. If you don`t have anything constructive to say about tikka`s or for that matter, Anyone else`s idea`s, Don`t say anything at all.

This is a community, I like to think we can all atleast get on with each other, And help each other out when we can, In a civilized manner. Not shout, Swear, Abuse and generally be rude to other members of this community.

Can i please ask you please apologize to tikka, And in future, Please refrain from outbursts like you have just done.

Thanks

Trooper

whatever

EDIT : on a second thought, I guess if it's your editor equivalent of Photoshop's PSD format it's all good. Not apologizing tho, that'd ruin my arsehole image I spend so much time building. Haha, I fucking rule!

semyaza said:
What a twat!
whatever. not my fault anyways, I spent the last two days reading the best page in the universe, hence the enhanced arseholeness. Maddox made me do it.

Note to self : test the word "dipshit" on people. This word sounds awesome, I can't wait to use it! :)

I like the start of your lil' thing there tikka. :)
The only thing that bothers me is that fileformat you're talking about.
It's kind of useful to at least be able to export as png or likewise, in case you want to work on the same file in any other pixeleditor.

But i'd still really like to try it out. :)

Out of interest, what advantages does this have over GraphicsGale which is already complete and does everything you listed above as far as I can tell?

Orkie said:
Out of interest, what advantages does this have over GraphicsGale which is already complete and does everything you listed above as far as I can tell?
My guess would be that this one's being written to run on the GP2X, and GraphicsGale - fine piece of software that it is - is not.

Or did I miss something?

Now all we need is a converter to change from this proprietary format to one we can actually use... :)

rememberthe8bit said:
If this ends up even somewhat like Mario Paint, I'll be totally awesome. :)
Yeah, I think so too. I am guessing he is not going to include an animator and simple crap for us to play around with ^^. Looks more like a semi-professional tool for pixel art as said before.

I'll try to clear things:

The purpose of this project if to create a king of photoshop file format, windows application and a lib for the GP2X to display and interact with those file.

It's not going to be a pixel creator running on the GP2X. But I'll probably maje as well a very limited version of the editor for this files running on it: just to ajust colors.

do you have an idea for 'onion skins' ? or will the layers achieve the same function for animation?

I know what is an onion skin feature, but I don't get the question !

Back