GP2X Pixel Editor On Gp2x

I support this idea! It's a real pain to get colours right for the over-saturated GP2X screen, especially when working on a washed out monitor :wacko:

Yeah, that would be a good idea! Maybe an accurate mode for pixel art and sort of a sandbox mode with some weird effects just for fun!

EDIT: Maybe something like MarioPaint too... something where you can make your own little goofy animation movies. That would be way cool...

Alex. said:
I support this idea! It's a real pain to get colours right for the over-saturated GP2X screen, especially when working on a washed out monitor :wacko:
I really like the GP2X's screen. I feel that it's better than the DS Phat's, the PSP's, and at least on par with the DS lite's.

But, I would love to see a nice sprite editor for the GP2X.

EDIT:
xnopasaranx said:
Yeah, that would be a good idea! Maybe an accurate mode for pixel art and sort of a sandbox mode with some weird effects just for fun!

EDIT: Maybe something like MarioPaint too... something where you can make your own little goofy animation movies. That would be way cool...
Yesssssssssssss!!!!! And it should optionally use a USB mouse! Must... have... that program!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I could code like I used to. My college project, very long time ago now :( , was an pixel animation package which would have been perfect for this. It was also in vga (yes thats how long ago) so would have fit the gp2x perfectly. You could add frames and play your animation. All before the www so I had no help. Best project that college ever saw I reckon ;) It was done in Modula 2 in about 2000 lines. I wouldnt know one end of a pointer to another now :(

the feeling i get from the mk1 screen is that the low end is "compressed"...that is, black is not super black and anything above black gets very bright very quickly. for instance, i stupidly tagged my name under the compo splash screen...i thought it'd be near invisible, instead it's obnoxious.

I've had this idea for some time now, actually, even since before i ordered my gp2x.
I currently suck at programming but I'm an okay pixel-artist, that's all I do with my days.
A pixel-art program for the gp2x would totally rock and I have some thoughts about how it could work.

Any programmer who's interrested? :)

Consider me stupid if I'm not understanding this correctly but your wanted a program where you can hover over the pixels and change the colour of them in some way? Like a paint program but limited to pixels?

It's just if that is the case it kinda sounds easy in my heads theory. If not tell me to shut up :lol:

Karrakunga said:
Consider me stupid if I'm not understanding this correctly but your wanted a program where you can hover over the pixels and change the colour of them in some way? Like a paint program but limited to pixels?

It's just if that is the case it kinda sounds easy in my heads theory. If not tell me to shut up :lol:
No, a pixel editor is something like Microsoft Paint (only better, preferably). Think of it as a low-resolution version of Photoshop. Click here to learn more.

Sort of off topic, but I came across JDraw today and I was wondering if anyone here had tried it and could comment on whether or not it's any good. Seems like it would be a good app to create sprites in and whatnot.

Alex. said:
Hehe, I'm such a Deux Ex Machina ;)

I was considering making a pixel editor anyways, kind of like Paint with layers. The main problem to get started with that is the file I/O. I don't even know how to save a .png, let alone a .gif

A_SN said:
The main problem to get started with that is the file I/O. I don't even know how to save a .png, let alone a .gif
Was that a crack at my sexy BMP screenshots? :lol:

A_SN said:
Alex. said:

I was considering making a pixel editor anyways, kind of like Paint with layers. The main problem to get started with that is the file I/O. I don't even know how to save a .png, let alone a .gif

Hmm, yeah, could maybe do that with SDL and have each layer as a seperate surface, then when you save the image out, just blend the surfaces? Or maybe the tiredness is getting to me and I'm talking rubbish:p

EDIT: oh yeah, and I found this: http://www2.autistici.org/encelo/prog_sdldemos.php
scroll down to SaveSurf- think it saves SDL surfaces as PNGs :)

A_SN said:

If anyone knows Python them PIL (Python Imaging Library) could be a good way to go maybe?
I had a quick look over the features it supports a couple of weeks ago & it seems to have everything needed.

Alex. said:
A_SN said:
The main problem to get started with that is the file I/O. I don't even know how to save a .png, let alone a .gif

Haha, no, actualy, I only know how to write BMP images (that I use in my ARSE) but I made my own I/O functions for that ;)

Goobers said:
EDIT: oh yeah, and I found this: http://www2.autistici.org/encelo/prog_sdldemos.php

Ewww SDL, no thanks, not for me.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
If anyone knows Python them PIL (Python Imaging Library) could be a good way to go maybe?
I had a quick look over the features it supports a couple of weeks ago & it seems to have everything needed.

Ewww Python, are you out of your mind? ;)

A_SN said:
Alex. said:
A_SN said:

Haha, no, actualy, I only know how to write BMP images (that I use in my ARSE) but I made my own I/O functions for that ;)

Goobers said:

Ewww SDL, no thanks, not for me.

Tripmonkey_uk said:

Ewww Python, are you out of your mind? ;)

ahaha, so we're gonna see some super optimised image editing tool from you then? ;)

Goobers said:
ahaha, so we're gonna see some super optimised image editing tool from you then? ;)
lol, maybe, if I find the motivation, and the I/O functions. By the way it'd be merely pixel-art oriented.

Yeah, I was actually thinking about doing something like that myself, and it seems every other dev too :p

I think I'll have a crack at using AdPlug to make a software synth for the gp2x- you can program it just like the original adlib so i think it's worth a try. That is of course after I finish my chip8 emulator (probably sometime today) and my mode7 scaler. :)

I look forward to making pixel art on the bus!

Back