Release Pingus 0.7.3

tsh said:
SteveM said:
You mean saving the choice per package? That would be nice, but I wouldn't store the choice in the PND...
I was thinking per package (and store the result in appdata). The user would still have the decision about if and how much to up the clock speed.
Maybe it is not worth having for each app, and it would make more sense for the individual config to just set a threshold for overclocking (based on reliability) and if they want to be asked. Still leaves some room for improvement, in case an app is jumpy up to say 600 MHz, but still shows some improvements up to 800.

I think I will still opt generally to run at 790MHz all the time unless I'm away from a power socket (so I would only see a dialogue occasionally)

Well, that idea is good.
At the moment, the script only will ask when your clockspeed is lower than the suggested one anyway.
So a small "Don't ask next time" which simply places a file named "dontask" (or something like that) into the appdata dir would be easy.

Then users could try out different clockspeeds and when they found one they like, they simply select "don't ask next time" and that's it :))

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
tsh said:
SteveM said:
You mean saving the choice per package? That would be nice, but I wouldn't store the choice in the PND...
I was thinking per package (and store the result in appdata). The user would still have the decision about if and how much to up the clock speed.
Maybe it is not worth having for each app, and it would make more sense for the individual config to just set a threshold for overclocking (based on reliability) and if they want to be asked. Still leaves some room for improvement, in case an app is jumpy up to say 600 MHz, but still shows some improvements up to 800.

I think I will still opt generally to run at 790MHz all the time unless I'm away from a power socket (so I would only see a dialogue occasionally)

Well, that idea is good.
At the moment, the script only will ask when your clockspeed is lower than the suggested one anyway.
So a small "Don't ask next time" which simply places a file named "dontask" (or something like that) into the appdata dir would be easy.

Then users could try out different clockspeeds and when they found one they like, they simply select "don't ask next time" and that's it :) )

I like SteveM's idea as well. That way I don't ever have to get the prompt in the first place.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all three concepts, global settings, per-package settings and "don't ask" checkboxes (of which I am a huge fan) could quite happily co-exist with a bit of co-ordination. Probably best to start simple and build on it. I really ought to start poking around in all these scripts in the firmware... I think there are a lot of quick wins to be had which would really add a bit of polish to the OS.

This stuff really needs splitting off from this thread... My replacement Pandora arrived yesterday though, so I'm off to download Pingus to make up for the derailment ;-)

Back