PinePhonePro

Seems from Megi’s blog that suspend to RAM is getting a good debugging for the PPP and should soon be at 160mW (it’s currently consuming 400mW)

I mainly thought about full hardware support like "normal" Smartphones have in between their OS and their hardware. I can imagine that this is not so easy with an open Linux OS and mobile phone hardware. But if it works without much hassle, then it's a good thing for sure.
I agree with you. It's not hard to get a modem working on Linux, but for a phone you want a ton of battery-saving optimisations so that your OS and modem don't drain your battery.
Also on the software side, good calls and messaging handling isn't as easy as it sounds.

But it's good to have a platform like this so that all the alternative Linux-based smartphone OS can grow.

I have a pbp, I won't use a distro that won't do s3(ram)
There are only 2 that I have used that do this, all others are defective
(their sleep is usually less than 1 day)
Maybe it doesn't matter, the boot is quick enough anyway
Maybe he is re-writing the hack to make it acceptable for kernel
This sleep (s3(ram)) uses ~7%/day, ie 3-4Wh/day
Since the ppp battery is a lot smaller, it becomes quite important

Yes, suspend to ram
Takes ~10sec to fully wake, another 10+ for wifi
Sometimes it takes 1 min to sleep, but usually ~20sec

Lukasz Erecinski and colleagues are doing an AMA on Reddit answering questions about the PPP. Just read a comment where he mentions being a big fan of the Open Pandora <3 - has someone told him about the Pyra?!

I wonder how long it will be before someone turns the PPP into a tricorder - looks like Martijn Braam already made a good start by adding a thermal imaging camera to the pogo pins at the back of the OG PP

From @MisterTechBlog (Lup Yuen Lee), it looks like there’s a PineTime Pro under development...

EDIT: The item looks like the PineTime in a pastel-green-ish box which is discussed as the PineDio stack running on the PineTime in the last Pine64 update, however when you look at comments beneath @MisterTechBlog’s post, you can see that someone mentions inside is a different motherboard from the current PineTime?

Last edited:
Back